Spitfire LF Mk.IXc 302Sq 1944 Eduard 1/72

Spitfire LF Mk.IXc MH 712 "Pat" from 302 (Polish) Squadron during its operations in France after Overlord (summer 1944).

I painted this Spitfire last autumn and since then it was waiting for weathering and some final detail.

Finally some two weeks ago I sat down and painted scratches, worn paint and exhaust residue as per photos and some dust and streaking.

She was painted with paints suggested here - it is a mix of humbrol, revell and Vallejo acrylics. 

I consider it done, Photos are a bit washed out but the weather is not really photo friendly lately. 

M8DotHg.jpeg

QqJ1fcp.jpeg

qR2Lw0s.jpeg

P4qK0ar.jpeg

1Vpr6ls.jpeg

WIP thread: here

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

She looks very nice, great work!!👍

I have a question about the Spitfire, Whic is the dofferent between the Mk I and the HF IXe? I have a Mk I and my idea is conver he to Mk IX. I know the differents with the propeller, motor exhaust and the right side air intake but are more dofferents??

A wonderfully finished Spitfire that it looks like you took the time to really do the weathering to make it look right.  From the pictures, I would not have thought it to be 1/72.  Just a great job and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Santti said:

I have a question about the Spitfire, Whic is the dofferent between the Mk I and the HF IXe? I have a Mk I and my idea is conver he to Mk IX. I know the differents with the propeller, motor exhaust and the right side air intake but are more dofferents??

I think the major challenge for you would be lengthening the nose by about 15 scale inches to account for the longer engine in the IX than the 1.   Some of the other changes needed that you did not mention regards the canopy and the wing type.  Your biggest hurdle will be the longer nose.  Since you do not list the scale of the kit you are converting, I don't know what kit to recommend as there are many existing Mk. IX kits available.

Right side air intake?  The Spitfire air intake is underneath the nose (and different on these variants)).  Under the wings are two radiator housings (on the Mk.IX), perhaps that's that you are thinking of?  The HF.IXe has the later wider more pointed rudder.  The undercarriage has a forward rake because the axle has been moved forward 2in.  (I'm not so sure about the 15 inches -1/72 scale - on the nose I'd have estimated eight but  perhaps allowance has been made for the longer spinner and rudder.

21 hours ago, Santti said:

Differences between Mk I and Mk IX are huge. The most visible are propeller (3 blades vs 4 blades), spinner shape and coolers under wings (asymetric single plus separate oil cooler vs symetrical pair). Add to this longer nose section of Mk IX, exhausts, different guns with characteristic bulges on wings and myriad small differences in shape essentially all over the plane. On top of that, rescribing majority of panel lines. It is a massive task. 

If I may suggest you, I would just build Mk I as Mk I - there are many interesting options as well as classic from Battle of Britain. Then you can get Mk IX dedicated model, there are many possibilities with various price tags available. Or maybe sell/swap the model you have for Mk IX if you only want that mark of Spitfire (but why anyone may want just one model of Spitfire is beyond me 😉)

7 hours ago, Archelaos said:

Differences between Mk I and Mk IX are huge. The most visible are propeller (3 blades vs 4 blades), spinner shape and coolers under wings (asymetric single plus separate oil cooler vs symetrical pair). Add to this longer nose section of Mk IX, exhausts, different guns with characteristic bulges on wings and myriad small differences in shape essentially all over the plane. On top of that, rescribing majority of panel lines. It is a massive task. 

If I may suggest you, I would just build Mk I as Mk I - there are many interesting options as well as classic from Battle of Britain. Then you can get Mk IX dedicated model, there are many possibilities with various price tags available. Or maybe sell/swap the model you have for Mk IX if you only want that mark of Spitfire (but why anyone may want just one model of Spitfire is beyond me 😉)

Well, that sounds like a challenge to me. My idea is to represent the PL194, which was donated to Argentina for an Aeronautical Exhibition (along with Avro Lancasters, the Hurricane KW908 and I think a Gloster Meteor), it was one of the only three spits that arrived in Argentina, the good thing is that came without machine guns (one less thing to do).

Would you trade me a Modelex 1/72 Spitfire mk I for some 1/72 Spit IX🤔?

spacer.png

I would love to buy a Spit IX, but I am very limited with my budget and especially with where to buy it.