F295 D.H. Sea Venom

Quailane

This is my first FROG build. I spent a lot of time looking for a FROG kit, but I'm not familiar with the FROG range. It's probably not the only one available new or second hand in China, but it was the only FROG tooled kit I could find.

The box art is a 3d image that looks quite realistic at first glance. The box isn't large, but it could have been smaller. In the bag, the kit looks like some other older kits I have from Eastern Europe.

spacer.png

I've never heard of iOM KiT before. Scalemates lists it as Ukranian, but the .ru email address stands out as being from Russia.

spacer.png

Here we have the sprues. At this distance we can see a lot of flash, but the kit otherwise looks nice and simple.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wait, what is this? It can't be real. There must have been a mixup somewhere.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not sure if a dip in super floor wax can fix this...

Edited by Quailane
  • Like 8

Upon closer inspection, the surfaces are pretty bad too. There is a sandy texture in some areas and pitting in some areas. So some parts have too much plastic and some parts have too little plastic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit is simple. I trimmed and dry-fitted the top and bottom halves of the wings. They fit together nicely. The leading edge is especially flat and will need some rounding. No pictures of that yet. I'm feeling sick, but hopefully I have time to get some more work done. Probably just trimming and dry fitting for the next couple of days. It's a nice little kit and I really want to do it justice. The condition of the mold is pretty bad, and the canopy is horrendous, so we'll see what I can do.

• Like 9

Wow - that canopy only looks good as the basis for moulding a replacement. I believe Falcon did a set of Clear-Vax canopies for a range of Fleet Air Arm aircraft which may include a Sea Venom… although it would be costly if you only need the one canopy from the set.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Quailane said:

The condition of the mold is pretty bad, and the canopy is horrendous, so we'll see what I can do.

They have been shunted around the former USSR for years,  so maybe mould damage, or just careless moulding.

There are others doing the kit see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235135436-frog-squad-gb-ii-kit-and-build-list/

Modern cameras show a multitude of faults, if nothing else it will be a modelling skill workout! 

If the canopy is unusable and you can't make a new one,  paint it black like a solid desk model

this sort of thing

pic5.jpg

HTH

• Like 5

• Quailane changed the title to F295 D.H. Sea Venom
46 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

They have been shunted around the former USSR for years,  so maybe mould damage, or just careless moulding.

There are others doing the kit see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235135436-frog-squad-gb-ii-kit-and-build-list/

Modern cameras show a multitude of faults, if nothing else it will be a modelling skill workout! 

If the canopy is unusable and you can't make a new one,  paint it black like a solid desk model

this sort of thing

HTH

Ah, thanks. I was looking at kit number F253, as it lists the first issue on Scalemates, but F295 seems like the correct number. Even this kit's number is F295a. Glad to see some others being built at the same time. Unfortunately I won't have access to any other decals, canopies, or upgrade bits. I'm going to try to make the canopy usable, but if not, painting it like that is a good idea.

• Like 2

Good to see you and your Sea Venom build on here @Quailane, however have to say, that's some awfully poured plastic on that kit. 

Looks like a good overall sand and polish will be needed, I'm sure you can get there with a little elbow grease. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 2

That's the worst casting of the replacement canopy I've seen.

In case you don't know:

Legend has it that the Red Army were sent to the Sukhoompribor factory to destroy decals featuring "fascist" Bundesmarine markings, and that they got over zealous and destroyed molding equipment and the Venom tools.

Research by the lads at retromodels.org reveals the true story.

A Pravda article in April 1985 denouncing toys of NATO weapons such as the Jaguar and Phantom led to general ire.

In perticular one “respectable Soviet citizen” got hold of an old Venom NOVO instruction sheet intended for the Western market.

He went potty and contacted the authorities after reading that "They took part in Anglo-French intervention in Egypt in 1956, destroying a number of aircraft, including MIG 15`s, on the ground…"

So it would seem the soldiers target was the Venom in particular.

(Interestingly it appears worry about this sort of thing happening is why the Venom had ended up in Georgia, and Sea Fury and Meteor in Uzbekistan and not Ukraine like most NOVO tools)

Anyway in 1987 the Krylia team rescued what they could but the canopy tool was beyond use and so had to repaired/replaced as best they could.

spacer.png

Krylia on left, FROG on right

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:58 PM, matford said:

That's the worst casting of the replacement canopy I've seen.

In case you don't know:

Legend has it that the Red Army were sent to the Sukhoompribor factory to destroy decals featuring "fascist" Bundesmarine markings, and that they got over zealous and destroyed molding equipment and the Venom tools.

Research by the lads at retromodels.org reveals the true story.

A Pravda article in April 1985 denouncing toys of NATO weapons such as the Jaguar and Phantom led to general ire.

In perticular one “respectable Soviet citizen” got hold of an old Venom NOVO instruction sheet intended for the Western market.

He went potty and contacted the authorities after reading that "They took part in Anglo-French intervention in Egypt in 1956, destroying a number of aircraft, including MIG 15`s, on the ground…"

So it would seem the soldiers target was the Venom in particular.

(Interestingly it appears worry about this sort of thing happening is why the Venom had ended up in Georgia, and Sea Fury and Meteor in Uzbekistan and not Ukraine like most NOVO tools)

Anyway in 1987 the Krylia team rescued what they could but the canopy tool was beyond use and so had to repaired/replaced as best they could.

Thank you, that makes sense. I'm thinking to polish the canopy and then use some painted decal film, doing a good job masking, or just very thin strips of plastic for the framing. Looking at the original FROG boxings of this kit, I'm feeling a bit jealous!

I glued the fuselage together, as well as the wings. There was a lot of trimming of flash, and I relocated the main landing gear connections a bit inboard. I did my best to get everything lined up. Before gluing the fuselage together, I tested putting the cockpit floor in afterwards. That should be no problem and help make sure the cockpit is aligned well. I can also add weight into the nose. One of the fuselage halves was warped, so I had to slowly work on it over two days to try to get it glued together straight. This picture was from before I finished putting the fuselage together, but I got that part done last night and the result is OK.

spacer.png

• Like 9

spacer.png

spacer.png

I got the wings glued on. The seams look good and the dihedral looks good too. I used Tamiya extra thin limonene cement and held the wings in place for over an hour while I watched a TV show.

• Like 8

I sprayed it with Mr. Surfacer 500. It helped a bit with the surface roughness. Now I need to work on some of the seams. I also bought some tungsten grains. I don't like lead, and tungsten is denser, so I will try it for the first time. I'm going to drop some of the grains into the nose, then drop a little bit of superglue to hold it in place.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I filled the nose with small tungsten pellets and poured thin CA glue onto it. I thought it had dried when I picked it up the next day, but some of the tungsten fell out. I tried again using thicker CA glue, then let it sit there for several days. Tungsten is a lot denser than lead, and the small pellets really let it pack in there. This plane's nose will stay down even in typhoon winds now!

I went a little overboard with gap filler over the entire model. I suppose a lot of the raised detail will be gone. I'll see if I can try scribing some panel lines. I have some special tape just for that, if I can find my panel line scribing tool!

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 3/3/2024 at 10:33 PM, AdrianMF said:

That's one well-fitting airframe!

Nice...

Regards,

Adrian

The fit was mostly pretty ok, but a few tiny problems bothered me. I started with a little filler, but it was sloppy, and then I got carried away with it. I need to sit down tonight or tomorrow and sand it all down to get it ready for a basecoat.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this kit for sale locally and had to buy it. I was hoping that it came with an original nice Frog canopy, but it didn't. It does come with a very nice vac canopy though. No sign of yellowing even though it is 30+ years old. Decals are nice too. Less flash on the parts than my IOM kit came with. Also included are white metal cockpit parts. However, the best part of this kit is the instructions! They explain how to make the kit more accurate through a number of small changes here and there, and come with lots of detailed photographs and a detailed engineering diagram of the aircraft.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/premiere-models-p3001-dh-sea-venom-faw-21--193326

spacer.png

The tail booms proved troublesome. I strengthened them with superglue and I also figured out how to use a different filler. The new aqueous filler I used takes a long time to dry and I was sanding it before it had hardened. I sprayed the first coat of white paint on the underside, but it will take a couple more.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Some of those Frog re-pops really are a challenge. Glad you were able to find a good replacement.

Colin

Those decals look really good - even include chequers for the wingtip tanks, which will save a lot of swearing! It's coming along really well. All the best. Mike.