Jump to content

Fairey Delta 2 Violet colour help


Recommended Posts

@Nobby Clarke, yes I meant '797', it was a typo, thank you for pointing it out. I have now corrected it.

 

Thanks also for confirming the presence of FS 17142 in the 1956 issue of FS 595. Do you know the month FS 595 was issued? I ask because if it was later than January, there will be a problem with chronology unless this colour had also been included in TT-C-595 of 1950.

 

At the moment, I think that @Troy Smith was somewhere close to the truth when he suggested that Mr Ward gave the FS 17142 reference as being the best available match in an available standard. 

 

So as to be absolutely clear, the Mr & Mrs Director passage was pure whimsey on my part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I may slightly sidetrack this thread briefly but what would be the correct cockpit colour for WG777?

The plans say black, but photos of the cockpit in Cosford all show a light grey 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HL-10 said:

...what would be the correct cockpit colour for WG777?  The plans say black, but photos of the cockpit in Cosford all show a light grey 😕

Period pictures show a predominantly black cockpit, it is now now however a mid grey.  British instrument panels and cockpits did tend to become grey in the early to mid 1960s, my guess is that the FD2 cockpit was repainted in line with this.

35 minutes ago, gamevender said:

This is what she looked like at Cosford last fall. 

That's the BAC.221 WG774 at the FAAM Yeovilton.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Period pictures show a predominantly black cockpit, it is now now however a mid grey.  British instrument panels and cockpits did tend to become grey in the early to mid 1960s, my guess is that the FD2 cockpit was repainted in line with this.

Thank you :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we can waffle on about FS numbers all day long.  

But I still think it's something as simple as someone saw the colour on an automobile and thought I like that.

 

I would be surprised if the colour change wasn't documented by Fairey, I know Ian Huntley had a large Fairey archive, but I don't know what happened to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 1:40 AM, Paul Lucas said:

@Nobby Clarke, yes I meant '797', it was a typo, thank you for pointing it out. I have now corrected it.

 

Thanks also for confirming the presence of FS 17142 in the 1956 issue of FS 595. Do you know the month FS 595 was issued? I ask because if it was later than January, there will be a problem with chronology unless this colour had also been included in TT-C-595 of 1950.

 

At the moment, I think that @Troy Smith was somewhere close to the truth when he suggested that Mr Ward gave the FS 17142 reference as being the best available match in an available standard. 

 

So as to be absolutely clear, the Mr & Mrs Director passage was pure whimsey on my part.

@Paul Lucas I do not have a complete copy of TT-C-595, but FS 595 issued on 1 March 1956, includes a cross-reference to the corresponding 4-digit TT-C-595 colours in Table XII. Since there is no cross-reference given for FS 17142, I think it's safe to assume that it was a new colour. FS 17142 is listed in FS 595 Table XI - Safety Colors which identifies eight colours but offers no further explanation. I believe these eight colours correlate with ASA Z53.1-1953, “Safety Color Code for Marking Physical Hazards and the Identification of Certain Equipment,” American Standards Association, 1953. www.ansi.org. However, I have been unable to find a copy of this standard on the internet. The point of all this is that there was possibly paint available that corresponded to the eventual FS 17142 color from 1953 when the Safety Colors were standardized. 

Now we're truly down a rabbit hole.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...