Spitfire XIV, Belgische Militaire Luchtvaart

No whilst it is rightly best remembered for it's service throughout WWII the Supermarine Spitfire continued in service well into the 1950's with a great many air forces including the RAF who finally retired their last operational example (a PR.XIX ) after it performed it's last flight on 10th June 1957. As I signed up for both elements of this GB and the subjects built post 1946 are getting the Lion's share of the builds I thought that I should add one from the "used in the 50's but built earlier" category and the Spitfire fits that perfectly. 

For my build I will be using the recent Airfix 1/48 FR Mk.XIV which I picked up in their New Year sale (I got two as it seemed rude not to ;)) which actually comes with markings for an eligible option in the form of TZ112 from II( AC) Sqn RAF based in Germany 1950-51, but me being me I want to do something a bit different and that comes in the form of one of approximately 130 Mk.XIV's sold to Belgium between 1947 and 49 and were used until 1954. Daco do a very nice set of decals covering various marks of Spitfire including the XIV so I have ordered a set and some Eduard seatbelts which will be the only additions I make to this kit. Speaking of the kit here is picture of the box lid and contents;

spacer.png

I'm going to spend the rest of this week working on my Caproni in the WWII twins GB and will hopefully make a start on this (work permitting) next week so don't expect any big leaps forward too soon.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 12

Nice choice Craig. Will look forward to following this one. 

IMHO a lot of the more interesting Spitfire schemes, including this one, come from the post war period late 40’s early 50’s. 

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

No whilst it is rightly best remembered for it's service throughout WWII the Supermarine Spitfire continued in service well into the 1950's with a great many air forces including the RAF who finally retired their last operational example (a PR.XIX ) after it performed it's last flight on 10th June 1957. As I signed up for both elements of this GB and the subjects built post 1946 are getting the Lion's share of the builds I thought that I should add one from the "used in the 50's but built earlier" category and the Spitfire fits that perfectly. 

For my build I will be using the recent Airfix 1/48 FR Mk.XIV which I picked up in their New Year sale (I got two as it seemed rude not to ;)) which actually comes with markings for an eligible option in the form of TZ112 from II( AC) Sqn RAF based in Germany 1950-51, but me being me I want to do something a bit different and that comes in the form of one of approximately 130 Mk.XIV's sold to Belgium between 1947 and 49 and were used until 1954. Daco do a very nice set of decals covering various marks of Spitfire including the XIV so I have ordered a set and some Eduard seatbelts which will be the only additions I make to this kit. Speaking of the kit here is picture of the box lid and contents;

spacer.png

I'm going to spend the rest of this week working on my Caproni in the WWII twins GB and will hopefully make a start on this (work permitting) next week so don't expect any big leaps forward too soon.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Good to see you around Craig and a very nice choice you've made.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice Craig. Will look forward to following this one. 

IMHO a lot of the more interesting Spitfire schemes, including this one, come from the post war period late 40’s early 50’s. 

James

Thanks James, always very glad to have you on board for a build.

I agree with you about the interesting Spitfire schemes, the variety of post war markings for them are very interesting indeed.

31 minutes ago, Andres Alvarado said:

Good to see you around Craig and a very nice choice you've made.

Thank you Andres, great to hear from you and to have your interest too.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Group Build, Craig.

A casual Google suggests that the Belgians had both camouflaged and silver Spitfires.  I look forward to seeing which way you go :popcorn:

Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Welcome to the Group Build, Craig.

A casual Google suggests that the Belgians had both camouflaged and silver Spitfires.  I look forward to seeing which way you go :popcorn:

Cheers

Cheers Cliff, been looking forward to this GB. I haven't decided which scheme to go with yet but I'll probably be going for the silver coloured ones which I think are sprayed aluminium rather than natural metal. 

• Like 1

Have the same ingredients for the same recipe Craig, nice subject choice :thumbsup: pity the Daco sheet doesn't include most of the digits for fuselage and underwing codes but at least they're easy to source from elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Col. said:

nice subject choice

Thanks Col, great minds think alike eh. ;) 

34 minutes ago, Col. said:

pity the Daco sheet doesn't include most of the digits for fuselage and underwing codes

Yeah, just found that out the hard way, bugger. Will have to see what I can do.

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah, just found that out the hard way, bugger. Will have to see what I can do.

I may have uttered harsh words upon discovering their omission but at least all the unique items for the subject are present and everything else will be sourced from generic sheets.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Col. said:

I may have uttered harsh words upon discovering their omission but at least all the unique items for the subject are present and everything else will be sourced from generic sheets.

It really is a bit pants though isn't it, giving you about two thirds of what you need.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

It really is a bit pants though isn't it, giving you about two thirds of what you need.

Indeed. From what wasn't a cheap decal sheet either :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a long overdue update on my Spitfire.

So far this has proved to be a typical new Airfix kit, some very good parts (cockpit detail) and some not so good (sloppy fit in places) but certainly not terrible at all. The cockpit really is very nice out of the kit and the only thing I have added to it is a set of Eduard seatbelts, the new steel ones which are much easier to work with than the brass ones. Staying with the cockpit the first thing I did was to tackle the instrument panel, rather than use an Eduard replacement I decided to paint the kit one and add the dials from the kit decal sheet after they had been individually cut out, this is not hard to do and I think the result looks okay;

spacer.png

Sorry for it being slightly out of focus but you get the idea.

The cockpit side walls are nicely detailed as they come and after adding the parts for them and some painting this is what I had to show for it;

spacer.png

As this is an FR.XIVe the R means it has a recce part of it's operations and for that it has camera ports fitted to either side of the fuselage and in my kit they were a less than perfect fit as you can see in the picture below;

spacer.png

I filled the edges with some sprue goo and after it had dried some sanding and polishing gave me a much better looking fuselage;

spacer.png

The instrument panel and seat support were added to their respective bulkheads;

spacer.png

The cockpit was then all fitted together and added to one of the fuselage halves, you will note that Airfix supplies a camera that sits at the rear of the assembly and will be completely invisible with the fusealge halves joined together;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I found it quite difficult to get a decent picture of the cockpit in situ but you get the idea.

Next up will be joining the fuselage and I imagine that things will then rapidly start to look a lot like a Spitfire.

Craig.

• Like 15

This is looking good Craig 👍.

That's interesting about the 'invisible' camera.  It makes you wonder why?

IIRC, Italeri's Ju.52 has an 'invisible' toilet.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

This is looking good Craig 👍.

That's interesting about the 'invisible' camera.  It makes you wonder why?

IIRC, Italeri's Ju.52 has an 'invisible' toilet.

Cheers

Thanks Cliff.

There are lots of kits where the designers have put considerable time and money into having nicely detailed parts that are going to be completely invisible when the kit is built and it always seems to be complete waste to me.

• Like 2

Just catching up with this one Craig, nice work on the cockpit. I’ve got a couple of these kits in the stash yet to be built but looking in the box it is as you say a real mixture of good and just a bit mediocre. 

James

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Great start Craig!!!

How have I missed it???

Thanks Alex, there's a lot of very nice builds going on in some very interesting GB's so keeping track of everything thats going on is nearly impossible.

14 hours ago, franky boy said:

Just catching up with this one Craig, nice work on the cockpit. I’ve got a couple of these kits in the stash yet to be built but looking in the box it is as you say a real mixture of good and just a bit mediocre. 

James

Thanks James, it is a nice kit and has some good features but with a little more effort could have been a superb kit.

Time for another update.

I got ahead of myself and fitted one of the wing upper halves to the one piece lower wing and adding the one piece clear part that makes up the wingtip, I forgot to mention that you have to remove the wingtip that come moulded in place, and it went together very nicely. Luckily I took a look at the instructions before I fitted the other top wing because if I had there's no way I would have been able to fit the fuselage to the wing assembly as you are supposed to fit the lower wing to the fuselage first ans then add the upper wings as they trap the undercarriage locating points in place. I actually think the way I did it by accident worked very well as I got the fuselage in place with the one fitted wing and got a very good fit on the fillet which need no filler at all, when that was properly set I offered up the other wing and made sure I fitted it to the wing root fillet first which again resulted in a great fit with no filler required and after that  had set I worked my way down the wing gluing in sections and that worked very well too.

The tailplanes went on with very little trouble with just a bit of filler required at the joints, the elevators are a one piece part that is held in place by a small part fitted into the back of the tail, you can only fit it one way, no room for error. The only problem being that it doesn't fit evenly and I have a larger gap where the elevator meets the end of the tailplane on one side than I do on the other with no easy way to fix it that I can think of so I have posed the elevators at a drooped angle as they are often seen on parked Spits. Anyway, this is how she looks now;

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can probably see the piece for the intake under the nose is a less than perfect fit;

spacer.png

It took a bit of filling and sanding and rescribing but I think it looks okay now, no doubt the primer/black base will dhow up exactly how bad it really is. My main canopy also has a crack in it so I'm waiting to hear back from Airfix to see what they will do about it, I have to say that the plastic for the canopy pieces really is commendably thin.

So thats how she stands at the minute, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 14