Revell ferrari 250 gto

So for my second completed build of the year I have just finished revells ferrari 250 gto. 

Honestly maybe for others this is a nice kit but for me it just caused headache after headache. Its not put together by revell very well at all it feels like it's atleast 30 years old compared to other makers, some of the parts don't go together very well at all and the god awful chrome they decided to use on parts that shouldn't be chrome was a pain to get off even with bleach. 

Either way it has been finished to a point of being almost happy with zero paints ferrari colours and I got a little creative with the decals included so it's not a proper race car or anything but I love the look of these with roundels on. 

Again any constructive feedback is welcomed 

Ferrari 250 gto

Ferrari 250 gto

Ferrari 250 gto

Ferrari 250 gto

Ferrari 250 gto

Ferrari 250 gto

Thanks for looking 

SN

• Like 18

I think that looks great… excellent build and the paint job came up really well! To your point, not sure whether that Revell box is the Italeri kit or the Protar, but either way it IS (at least) 30 years old… If you’re having trouble with chrome stripping and are prepared to read instructions and take precautions, domestic caustic soda (lye) will do it very quickly, and left in overnight it’ll also remove the thick varnish you often find underneath.

best,

M.

Well done for persevering it looks very smart! I have done some checking and this was a new mould Revell kit dated 1988. I have this kit in the stash as well as the Italeri and Airfix/Gunze offering hope to make them all one day it would be an interesting line up! I totally agree with the above comments on chrome stripping.

Its engine.  Do you really believe that the bodywork counts for nothing?  Given the vintage, compare the 1961 Dino SP (high windscreen and rear body)  with the 1962 lower design.  Or would the 250GTO be better with nostrils?  (Could be difficult, that one.)

The Revell kit has always looks a bit off to my eyes, most especially on the box art of all places. And as others have said, it is an old kit which seems to have been around a number of manufacturers so it's probaby had some use into the bargain. If it was me I'd be happy with how this has turned out.

The only suggestion I could add, and it's small and easy to fix, is to put some matt black on the inside of the exhaust pipe - when you do that you'll be surprised at how much such a little thing can add.

• Like 1

I recognize this kit as one that I had attempted when I was 14 let’s just say it was WAY too much for 14 year old me, and ended up just being parts in a parts bin. Yours however is beautiful, I loved how the doors, hood, and trunk opened, not many kits do all at once.

Nice model build.

A bit of a challenge making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but it looks as though you cracked it.

Some of those older kits can be a bit daunting to build due to various issues, but it is how you overcome them and still build a good model like this from one that counts.

• 2 weeks later...