EE Lightning F.2A/F.6 Air Intakes question

Hello all, the Lightning seemed to grow many small air intakes all over (the dorsal one being quite prominent) when it became the F.2A/F.6 (as per this Quickboost kit). Can anyone tell me what they are all for? I want to use them on another aircraft I'm building and don't want to put them anywhere too silly

They're all for cooling something or other - the afterburners, the avionics, all sorts of things.  If you're planning to use them on something else it doesn't really matter what they did on the Lightning; all you need to think about is the job they'd be doing on yours.  That would determine where they'd sit on the airframe and what would be downstream of them, and what size and shape you'd need.  You'll probably also want to think about whether any need matching outlets as well.

I'm intrigued ... what are you doing that needs extra inlets?  Most aircraft that have new ones added need them because of different systems inside, and a lot of them are a custom shape that works in the airflow round that aircraft.  They seem similar but they're often not identical.

that would be the Vickers 559 I'm doing. I don't intend to go crazy with stick on bits externally, just a few here and there for that added realism. I have an idea of what most of them do, but its the dorsal snorkel that's most intriguing.

26 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

That dorsal one is to cool a generator which lurks directly below it

Interesting, was the generator a new addition to the F6 then? Or was there just enough additional electrical load that the existing unit ran much hotter?

1 hour ago, scautomoton said:

Interesting, was the generator a new addition to the F6 then? Or was there just enough additional electrical load that the existing unit ran much hotter?

The spine intake was present from the F.2 unto all later variants and provided cooling to the 28 volt DC standby backup generator.

Yes, I am a nerd.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hook said:

The spine intake was present from the F.2 unto all later variants and provided cooling to the 28 volt DC standby backup generator.

Yes, I am a nerd.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for the info. It begs the question of why there are pictures of later variants without this intake. Hence why I thought it was only F6/F2A.

If anyone's in the market for the ULTIMATE Lightning photographic reference, I can't recommend DACO Publication's "Uncovering the EE Lightning" strongly enough. Put simply, it is every internal and external part of the airframe, presented close-up and in living colour. The coverage is just staggering.

Not a cheap book, but worth ten other books on the subject, IMHO. Order it from the company directly (don't go to E-Bay or Amazon - the prices on there are hideously inflated). DACO's shipping-charges from Belgium are reasonable, from what I remember. 

Chris.  

PS: I have no association with DACO, other than buying several of their books and having been amazed by every one.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Typo correction

25 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

If anyone's in the market for the ULTIMATE Lightning photographic reference, I can't recommend DACO Publication's "Uncovering the EE Lightning" strongly enough. Put simply, it is every internal and external part of the airframe, presented close-up and in living colour. The coverage is just staggering.

......oh.....no..... you are a bad, bad, man. I'm going to have to order this now.....

• Haha 1

A some of those  "Intakes" were designed to suck fluid form the Engine, inter pipe and Reheat bays dumping the fluid overboard.

The two Naca ducts on each side just ahead of the tail planes is reheat cooling. 

The one at the base of the fin is for cooling the ATGB (Air Turbine Gear Box).

The one on the Port side (many people mistake as the APU exhaust) is the exhaust for the ATGB. 

The on on the underside front of the Mk F2a and the F6 ventral tank is No1 engine bay drain.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2024 at 13:32, scautomoton said:

Now that is a next level restoration (I used to be a panel beater). Rather you than me!

Thanks, I will pass on your kind words to the team that have been working on it. It's an ex Saudi machine that BAC had in Rochester. Inside the fuselage it is almost polished. We had a team from NMUSAF visit to check on our loan airframes. They said our restoration standards are higher than theirs!

• Like 1