Caravelle. Swedish Air Force. ELINT

Hello from the shed.

I'm still Chinook building so here is something a bit different I made in a fit of madness some time ago. I don't need to tell you what Mach 2 kits are like but they do make subjects that you don't usually see so that's one plus anyway. 

The canopy needed hours of polishing to get it remotely transparent and the rest of the kit needed carving to get it together. Nuff said!

The aerials were scratch built as the kit items were unusable. It was painted with Xtra Colour enamels , the blue being sprayed, its not a decal. The windows were made using micro crystal clear solution.

To be fair I've made a few Mach 2 kits (Super Frelon, King Air, Alize) and with a lot of work a reasonable facsimile can be hewn from the box.

Anyway, here it is, hope it gives you hope if you have one in your stash😄

Pete

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you like it.

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant job!

Mach2 kits have some strident critics but I feel that building one marks the builder as a “true” scale modeller!

👏👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Hi Pete

I saw this at a model show a few years ago, looked superb then, I know this was a difficult build, I had the same kit but sold it on, such a lovely aircraft shame it was put in the hands of Mach 2, unfortunately I am not a great fan of Didiers models, but you have turned the model into an excellent end result

• Like 1

This ticks all the right boxes...with excellent results!  The nose radome comes with the kit and hides the flaws inherent in the contours of the forward fuselage, so good on you!  How did you do the windows with such precision?  Mine cracked under the strain of being pressed in place and in the course of manipulating the fuselage assembly.  Also, how did you weather the metal areas?  They look very convincing.  

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2024 at 11:57, kev67 said:

I saw this at a model show a few years ago, looked superb then, I know this was a difficult build, I had the same kit but sold it on, such a lovely aircraft shame it was put in the hands of Mach 2, unfortunately I am not a great fan of Didiers models, but you have turned the model into an excellent end result

Hello Kev

Thank you very much. I displayed this one at the Milton Keynes and Avon shows pre covid so perhaps it was this one. Like you I'm not a fan but every now and then the madness takes me🤪

6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This ticks all the right boxes...with excellent results!  The nose radome comes with the kit and hides the flaws inherent in the contours of the forward fuselage, so good on you!  How did you do the windows with such precision?  Mine cracked under the strain of being pressed in place and in the course of manipulating the fuselage assembly.  Also, how did you weather the metal areas?  They look very convincing.  

Thanks very much. The windows were left out and when the painting was done they were filled with Micro Crystal Clear. The metallic area was a sprayed base coat of Humbrol 27002, then the fuselage and engines were swipe sprayed with a darkened shade of the same paint. This was an attempt to try to replicate the look of the aircraft in the Swedish air force museum. The metal areas were then dirtied a bit using Tamiya weathering powders. (the oil one).

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Very impressive looking result you have there. How did the Super Frelon turn out, BTW? Time a good mainstream model of one was available

Thank you. I converted the Frelon into the Chinese Navy version (Changhe Z-8). I used bits from the spares box and printed the medical red crosses myself. Typically an after market sheet for this aircraft was released shortly after I had completed it.😒.

The finished model doesn't look too bad, Ill pop a photo on here to show you. Like this one it took an absolute age to polish the canopy to an acceptable level of transparency but of all the Mach 2 kits I've made I enjoyed making the Frelon the most. 

Agreed, a new kit of it in 1/72 is long overdue. Come on Heller!!!

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks gorgeous,  love the metal finish you've achieved.   Seriously great work, I have the Mach 2 Viscount in the stash and often look at it and then put it back in the stash🙄

Chris

Go on Chris, bite the bullet. Or in this case the howitzer shell!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2