*** FINISHED *** Another B-25 Mitchell - 1/32 Hong Kong Models

Hi All

I'm straight back into the breach to go again, I said I'd attempt to build one of each when these were separate Axis/Allied group builds and I fully intended to maintain that once they got merged. I'm hopeful of getting a third in as well, but lets see how this goes first. I only really build one big thing at a time, I only build little things alongside an aircraft (because I'm a 1/32 nutter) or a ship - the alternative is that things never get finished, my USS Alabama is on pause while I'm on the group build.

So onto this one, I know there's a fair few B-25's in the GB already, so I'm adding another and I'm going big as usual, I don't have much in smaller scales (a few bombers that would be ridiculous in 1/32 - I'd buy them though if a kit exists). Here she is:

ABLVV85IZ_mkjREiZ3az6YEnTDIDhPh0rE4EhmPg

There's a lot of plastic inside as you'd expect

ABLVV84pQsuPgJMwX1dKYsjuklQQJSuwqqns3Q5p

I've already made a start on some of the internal bits and bobs, turret parts and the cockpit floor

ABLVV85OJhhexzrdE1m-bf4xJEzjSrxhnZT9rm7K

And some PE seatbelts and the flight yoke added. The rest of the cockpit gets built later in the instructions for some reason

ABLVV87OT9mtT3K3zTHS1dB1KVrWEybDGDGzf4Z_

And I've made a start on the bombs and the bomb bay - lots of lovely looking detail that no doubt will mostly be invisible after it's put together.

ABLVV87YX_jAmNnbzQhjaq506Uv2mLaPtE4esb05

That's all for now, welcome aboard anyone who wants to watch :) 

• Like 27

On 2/14/2024 at 11:35 AM, MRMRL said:

lots of lovely looking detail that no doubt will mostly be invisible after it's put together.

That's why 1/32 is so much fun - all the work for the builder, no payoff for the observer 😂

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alan P said:

That's why 1/32 is so much fun - all the work for the builder, no payoff for the observer 😂

I agree, although if you don't fog the windows, they're often big enough to allow you to turn the model into the light and see in to some details, impossible to photograph though.

Right, this is a big update - I've had some issues with the google embedding photos page and not been able to create the links all week (I think it might be a time of day thing, I haven't been able to log on a the usual time this week). That and I had a couple of days off and managed to squeeze some extra building in around the DIY and other life admin bits I was doing. So lets crack on while its all working :)

First up, I've done a bit more building - front and back of the bomb bay and the interior sides of the fuselage

ABLVV84Abq_ape_TITD63CSxr0McdMZdRYjSf89U

And the rear gunners position, the cockpit parts (not fixed at present) and the tail - only because I couldn't be bothered to start painting that evening ;)

ABLVV847gzteqbyPX7apMEsg8ZiaF8sfySz_sHjc

Then, out came the airbrush and like the hulk we're now all green

ABLVV87LUTnfMFEmoioz1VqkdD08dIIw32J30jYM

Followed by detail painting of the various sub-assemblies: main turret mount

ABLVV857_RaZX4dSPtxoN-ZatgjpIGwljnxI0Smb

Rear gunner - really needs a wash to tone down the Aluminium

ABLVV85UkpCStmm5bWjE101xVmmzuq9yTJxjzr5l

And the bomb bay - I've used photos from google for the painting on this (the instructions are just green) - there does seem to be some variety for painting here, so I've tried to reflect the "average", and its going to disappear for the most part soon anyway

ABLVV85VQFjEQa7huJg-LgDZJKSnELfVDPyoDucV

And the bombs are also painted. There's no decals for these and the call out in the instructions are for plain green as well, so again, I've taken some guidance from general pictures and added the stripes (by hand as a I couldn't face masking off all those lines)

ABLVV87o6fXfOI02MM9LzsKexf5G7j8oFf-9uAht

A whole mass of panel line wash later and I've ended up here:

ABLVV855MjD7ou0_Tr7KyrB5X86uZ9L6jUKFDv1L

Which I'm pretty happy with to be fair. And here's the transition for the bomb bay where that all starts to get hidden, bombs go in...

ABLVV86J37BLDgkqJDBCtZIALuDvbRlHwCDuk_hM

and then it all gets buttoned up.

ABLVV86OJ5ySeW8-NSw5vy71UqEuaixDZTcMAfo1

Inside of fuselage painted - bit of artistic license here I'm afraid, limited call outs again

ABLVV86xnxUCCTBjlDhXEkSJhbPCPUwnacba_VDc

More wash and the internals mounted (cockpit aside)

ABLVV87bhaSvKaqUg1Ermbgbb4hKSWZo-az3_eCG

Finally, some painting completed for the cockpit as well - a mixture of artistic license and photo aggregating here as well, I think a lot of the cockpit photos I could find are for modern restorations, so I've been going off black and white photos and interpreting the colours as best as I can without spending too long researching - its not my way ;) 

ABLVV86M6K8woBBf7UAibLKeKrP8yAPZ6p2njvwP

ABLVV85Xi3BzhJCm0l1TeatBxkvGeS8Z6AZo8nV-

And that's it for the bumper update, hopefully my next update (Monday) will have a completed interior fuselage in it. See you next time

Matt

• Like 17

More progress from the weekend. I've pretty much finished the interior now. Here's how the cockpit is shaping up...

AP1GczN9XTomlPBH27IkgWI1r6Pww7pjRY4FFgqz

AP1GczPL7rBWn0lTSMhigRawXJ1uRTmpS6xkpNrg

AP1GczO6QztDV7GBJCNuFt2WUXEVap-ldUDuJB7B

And here's the whole fuselage now that it has been joined together - there's a little filling needed, but its a pretty good fit overall. No complaining from me :)

AP1GczNtgHFfrUcR0QT75viq-OvjWxMa5U2zPrHr

Marching on, one wing mostly assembled, nothing overly exciting here...

AP1GczP6gqlLhCOyCdeVG_tq42bIHK2SIGTF4qQk

And a start made on the engines (which seem to be about 40% of the instructions for the whole kit, this is just the first two steps with a base coat

AP1GczMDeEIg4ehnmxzlc6wZewDOerUNWDSURVSC

AP1GczMMOh6jOXNiVGBDRJHNgU1FaNaUejsZsGYj

See you again next time :) 

• Like 12

That's a good amount of progress, and things are looking nice. Those engines are beautifully moulded

James

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's a good amount of progress, and things are looking nice. Those engines are beautifully moulded

James

Thanks James, and they really are, and I haven't even started on the details included in the kit yet, might not have any need to super detail, even though I wouldn't anyway 😉

Plodding again this week, I've spent a good amount of time on the B-25 without making enough progress to take too many pictures. Almost all the work I've done has been on the two radial beasties that let me call this a twin.

Starting with some detail painting onto the black I airbrushed last time...

AP1GczOTWlkOtIzAi0hSZyq2kYWmrnk5fYyiVx_p

Like the rest, I'm trying to go on a combination of photos and the instruction call-outs to produce something semi-believable. It's a bit tricky since a number of colours appear to have been used for various components on the real things, so its a nest guess combined with a little artistic license. More detail added, this is why its taking so long, there's 28 of these "cables?" on each engine.

AP1GczM_ZbI6AMmPEdLxOsFFvjjXM9gk3RDsFCDt

AP1GczO6jt6oKGIEhNQbKYcQ5_K2QK8SspIvtvLF

And a whole load of exhaust pipes on the back. I realize that using copper paint is a bit too much, they should just be rusty pipes, but they aren't going to be very visible when its completed and so I've just gone simple for effect (since I'm not great at the rusty effect even in simple locations)

AP1GczOvtUAFIO0GIKkO-DGS-DS6DyYLgidfeOGE

And here's the two of them in their frames

AP1GczO7Y0rhG4VxjVIeMMYuUkK__ASD7F7YvlFl

And then there's another set of "exhaust?" pipes (sorry I don't do much research and I'm not too knowledgeable on engines either) coming out the side before adding side panels, plus the propellers 

AP1GczPvmqmtABHzOKx3JP7r4jXfcjpAIQIdsZFM

Having done one and seen exactly how much of my hard work would be invisible, I decided that I'd not fix the top two panels for the other one, so that I could see into at least part of the engine. Here's how it looks on the nacelle (and some black props in the background):

AP1GczM-BlE-D7gXZWI1m2H_Rt2UoxsXYzAH44Ea

I might change my mind on them being open later, I'll see how it looks when its all together first.

That's all for now. Got a big batch of construction to do next, so should look like quicker progress for a while. Thanks for stopping by as usual (especially the omnipresent James :)).

Matt

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

(especially the omnipresent James :))

I don't know what you mean... :whistle:

It's looking good in there. I don't know masses about the layout of the engines fitted, but the cabling at the front is the ignition wiring. I suspect the pipes sticking out of the cowlings are exhausts, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the type will confirm or correct that :)

James

• Thanks 1

Blimey, that's a biggy!  Great work so far and liking the detailing with the paint .... 👌

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Its been a while since my last post, I'm running a long way behind where I want to be overall this year so far now. Life has been getting in the way of projects somewhat, been away, been ill, been looking after ill child, been trying to have fun in there as well. Busy. Anyway, I've cobbled the progress I've make in the last month into a single post. I'm hoping things are a little less hectic and I can get my mojo back a bit more.

Here we go then. First off, the nose, lots of instruction, lots of invisible parts if you are buttoning it up. So skipped most of it, just added enough to fix the barrels in place, then added some weights and then fixed it to place.

AARGH, my google photo embedder is on the frtiz, upstream timeout error - I'll have to try to edit this post tomorrow.

• Like 1

Real life always has to come first, the plastic will still be there

James

• Like 1

Rather than edit the last post, I'll continue in a new one where I left off.

First off, the nose, lots of instruction, lots of invisible parts if you are buttoning it up. So skipped most of it, just added enough to fix the barrels in place, then added some weights and then fixed it to place.

AP1GczO8RHII0t3vfTesAQs1igRO1JKD_H6oI_bv

Then, moving onto painting the remaining parts that need interior green on them. I've sadly fallen foul of MrHobby radically changing the colour mix of their interior green, so as I only have a couple of bits to paint, I've just picked a half reasonable match and gone with that.

AP1GczNZpuWxOqdZEsdQ-OXwQxgNsHYL6a_Mg-Py

I've then fairly quickly joined all the sections I've collated together and all of a sudden, it looks a lot more like an aircraft

AP1GczMwQzG9mplOoMAHNhP6QuDLj232qhi1wPeS

Houston, we have a problem, turns out that the weight I put in the nose, may not have been sufficient....

AP1GczPWxitrcq4bL9omnh6j44cPPRdgeZx1ZQbA

I have a tail sitter. Turns out that I'm a long long way off the amount of weight needed to have it sit upright. I need to think about how to resolve this one, I've got no easy place to add weight now, so I might need to cheat. 

A fair amount of filler, and a load of masking tape later, and I'm ready for painting, which isn't as complicated as most aircraft I've made.

AP1GczO4QF4nWU2XTmlPgeTUrWh6rdr_gv1UAa_7

And total coverage of Olive drab later...

AP1GczNHoBWhcwDuw_h2xytTOR3nCVaNeaLZNQJU

AP1GczM4ndRJYNO7Wt0KyrFUJdRJAdwqGOf-7-zW

And you can just about see them in the previous photo, but I've completed the painting for the propellers as well

AP1GczP1FdbDvIZOY-HpQjg4sYvm3Zr-D7dLwOIf

Finally (for today), I've started painting some of the details (gun barrels mainly) and attached the props.

AP1GczMAeCWmKb-xKZtRiCCu75ccGM6QLf8l9Cys

So there's my March update, a lot of progress, albeit at a slower pace than usual for me, I'm hoping to get this one complete in a week or so to give myself a chance at a third for the the GB, but we'll see how life goes ;) 

• Like 13

That's an impressive amount of progress for sure! It's looking very nice :)

James

• Thanks 1