Jump to content

Airfix 1/48 Gannet AS.4


Recommended Posts

Hello every body, Posting for the first time here.

 

Here's my latest model. Airfix 1/48 Fairy Gannet AS.4. built OTB with just some details added to the cockpit area. took a little bit of artistic license in the color scheme. went with option C in the Airfix instructions. they gave the option of yellow or white on the stripes applied for the Suez operation. 847 squadron was present on Eagle at the time of Operation Musketeer however its Gannets saw little to no use during the crisis due to there not being much need for ASW aircraft. according to text the aircraft were treated the same as the rest of the carriers airwing with yellow and black stripes. later after Suez the squadron was deployed to RAF Nicosia on Cyprus and the stripes where re painted white. although I've used the HF tail codes these were not applied till the aircraft went  back to the UK and by this time had also lost its stripes and gained the 847 and small Cyprus picture on the tail plane winglets. using some artistic license i added these anyway as the back end looked to bland. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

a few of my construction pics. extra detail, seatbelts added to cockpits as I chose not to use the 3 pilot figures supplied. Airfix do provide two molded boxes for the kits required 67g of nose weight however although it is possible to get the asked for 12g in the rear box located under the second mans seat it is physically impossible to get the remaining 55g into the front box. therefore its good to join the two fuselage side together and fill up the front of the fuselage with lead shot Upto the red line marked. this will avoid fouling the nose section and the engine intake area.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Airfix have been quite clever in the design of this kit. the fit is so good it allows all the main sub assemblies to be almost completed before bringing everything together. in the end the fit of the inner wings to the fuselage was so good i couldn't get them back off the glue them so they remain just a tight fit. but this fit is so good there are no noticeable seams.

spacer.png

Edited by Richard JS
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An outstanding debut posting of the Gannet.  Just a really well made kit with all the wing folds.  The camo scheme you ended up doing just really shows off the plane's lines.  Thanks for sharing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Richard JS said:

Airfix have been quite clever in the design of this kit.

There's a really good interview on YouTube with the designer of the kit. He gives a few tips on assembly, including the adding of weight.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bell209 said:

There's a really good interview on YouTube with the designer of the kit. He gives a few tips on assembly, including the adding of weight.

Yes I saw the Video yesterday 😂. Typical me, I always stumble over the information, reviews, tips and ideas videos etc after I’ve done something……

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kapam said:

A fantastic build!

Must be a decent size model in 1/48 scale - a real beast.

Great work!  👏👏👏

It does build into a fair beastie. About 300mm long and if I’d done the wings out about 330mm wingspan. Hence me doing them folded as I’m running out of room allocated to me by the “Boss”….. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/02/2024 at 14:58, Richard JS said:

Hello every body, Posting for the first time here.

 

Here's my latest model. Airfix 1/48 Fairy Gannet AS.4. built OTB with just some details added to the cockpit area. took a little bit of artistic license in the color scheme. went with option C in the Airfix instructions. they gave the option of yellow or white on the stripes applied for the Suez operation. 847 squadron was present on Eagle at the time of Operation Musketeer however its Gannets saw little to no use during the crisis due to there not being much need for ASW aircraft. according to text the aircraft were treated the same as the rest of the carriers airwing with yellow and black stripes. later after Suez the squadron was deployed to RAF Nicosia on Cyprus and the stripes where re painted white. although I've used the HF tail codes these were not applied till the aircraft went  back to the UK and by this time had also lost its stripes and gained the 847 and small Cyprus picture on the tail plane winglets. using some artistic license i added these anyway as the back end looked to bland. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

a few of my construction pics. extra detail, seatbelts added to cockpits as I chose not to use the 3 pilot figures supplied. Airfix do provide two molded boxes for the kits required 67g of nose weight however although it is possible to get the asked for 12g in the rear box located under the second mans seat it is physically impossible to get the remaining 55g into the front box. therefore its good to join the two fuselage side together and fill up the front of the fuselage with lead shot Upto the red line marked. this will avoid fouling the nose section and the engine intake area.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Airfix have been quite clever in the design of this kit. the fit is so good it allows all the main sub assemblies to be almost completed before bringing everything together. in the end the fit of the inner wings to the fuselage was so good i couldn't get them back off the glue them so they remain just a tight fit. but this fit is so good there are no noticeable seams.

spacer.png

Well, very well done assembling job  and Congratulations to you  and to Airfix to making such remarkable engineering in this kit.

My respects to you both, 

 

SouthViper 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Richard,

 

that’s really cool. Always love to see a Gannet. Maybe there’s a GAF version one day. Hopefully. 
so yours turns out very nice!

 

Cheers

 

Andy 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...