So I was swithering whether to start this build now or wait for three weeks for the 60's Group Build over on What If Modellers. Its Fairey obvious that I have decided to start it now as I intend to have this finished by mid to late April in time for the Scottish Nationals and with my build rate, the sooner I start the higher the posibility of finishing in time.

So what is this Project 75, which by itself sounds like something from a cheap sci-fi novel of the 1950's. The answer is the first kit in 1/72 by Aerocraft, the Fairey Project 75 to GOR. 339 which ultimately led to the TSR.2.

53520893658_d1b2531b75_c.jpg

The model is a nice and clean high resolution, 3D printed hollow model in multiple parts with lots of printing supports as you would expect from a kit in this medium. The fuselage parts look like this when removed from their supports.

53521519099_33d00001d2_c.jpg

Here they lack any interior or the nose and tail cones which are cleverly designed only to fit into the relevant part due to a key printed into their ends. The above picture was taken on an A3 cutting mat to show the scale which is comperable to a 1/72 scale TSR.2.

The undercarriage, seen below, is well designed, allowing the tyres to be painted separately from the rest of the bicycle style main undercarriage. The face that there are outrigger wheels in each engine naseles reminds me somewhat of the Sud Aviation Vautour.

53521519089_4e0bb565e4_c.jpg

The Print Supports I have kept as they may be useful for any sci-fi project I may undertake in the future, we shall see.

53521365803_a69f347651_c.jpg

More later as it's too cold outside right now to prime the nose section prior to painting.

Gondor

• Like 10

Found a slight problem with the part that is both the bomb bay roof, front wall and rear wall, it is also a locating plug for the forward fuselage.

The problem was that the front wall/fuselage plug did not have a recess at the top to allow it to be slightly recessed into the center fuselage which made the front and rear walls of the bomb bay too far forward. The solution to the problem is to cut a step at the top on the wall/fuselage plug to allow it to fit into the centre fuselage, like this....

53525262068_cdbcbed4ee_c.jpg

which allows the bomb bay to look like this

53525519840_344905dc5b_c.jpg

Side view,

53525085301_2474315398_c.jpg

Front and

53525085296_48ea5eec35_c.jpg

rear. Admittedly the rear wall is a little out of place but it is just a dry test fit in the picture.

Aerocraft have told me that the part will be modified as well as letting all other existing customers will be notified of the problem and the solution.

Work is ongoing to tidy up the parts, once the majority have had this done I will give them a wash then deal with any problems which will have been caused mainly by me. Then primer and some gluing of parts possibly.

Gondor

• Like 10

Managed to get the canopy removed from it's pouring block as unlike the rest of the aircraft the canopy is clear cast resin rather than 3D printed resin.

53527709845_64a01422bb_c.jpg

53527709840_83c32ef8c9_c.jpg

I will need to do a bit of blending in I think..

53526377197_bf116c8dcc_c.jpg

53527278466_1f5f499771_c.jpg

.... and some sanding back of the fuselage.

Got a way to go befor I get to that part though

Gondor

• Like 10

Prepping of the parts before their first coat of primer has almost reached its end. The smaller wheels and ejection seats still need removing from their supports. I have found that the designer missed one item that can easily be scratch-built, the scissors link for the main undercarriage. This should go on the front of the leg from the center of the axle to just above the rim of the wheel, not the tyre.

View of the front of the main undercarriage leg.

53531573569_11e5b6a660_z.jpg

Gondor

• Like 7

A short domestic interlude...

53531988417_cb3daf4286_c.jpg

These are the first parts that will be getting primer on them. They have just had a dip in warm water and had a good scrubbing down with an old toothbrush. I have also glued the first parts together.

On the right side of the teatowel, in line with the eggcup, there are the engine intake parts. The kit supplies a couple of double conical shapes that act as the intake shock cones, these have been glued to the parts that represent the engine fronts. I thought it might be better for me to glue these together now, rather than trying to remove paint from the hole that the shock cones go into later.

So priming tomorrow, and only a week since I got the kit too!

Gondor

• Like 5

I have kept myself busy with this build, or rather, I have kept myself busy taking parts off their supports. The latest parts to be released from their scaffolding are the ejector seats, printed as single pieces :o  

53533596649_b7d0160249_c.jpg

Yes, the pull handles are part of the seat and weren't additional items, gob-smacking detail in what can be 3D printed  :blink:

Only a couple of spare joysticks and the tail bumper are left on the supports now. I still have to make sure the tyres fit onto the hubs of the outrigger wheels and tidy up the seats for all the preparation work to be completed, this is fast for me!

Gondor

• Like 13

Aerocraft are making modifications based on what I have found so far, the bomb bay and main undercarriage problems which are slight, will be incorporated in any future production so you would have less work to do than I have so far. Saying that I still have to make the scissor link for the main undercarriage leg.

The main thing is that I am enjoying this build. Few parts, well designed, and they go together better than some mainstream kits too.

Gondor

• Like 3

I have bought several bits from Aerocraft, they have all been first rate. If this does well, maybe they will fill in some gaps. Unbuilt or unflown projects aren’t really my thing, but I know they are for a lot of builders, so hit that order button and I will follow this with interest. 

• Like 1

Initial priming is completed for some of the parts. Undercarriage and bomb bays, engine intakes, exhausts, and other parts, and the cockpit area and interior. So it's time to think about paint colours.

I am thinking white for engine intakes and shock cones. White for the undercarriage bays, legs, and wheels, and the bomb bay too. Not sure what colour to paint the cockpit interior though  😕

As usual for me, painting the primer with Halford's rattle cans is a mixed bag. I always seem to get too much paint on some parts and not enough in others, the rest is rather inconsistent too. The coverage of the parts I have primed today is not fantastic, but it is close enough for me at the moment so now the primer has dried and the excess sanded off the exteriors with a 2800 flex-i-file stick I am good to paint engine parts and intake/exhaust parts as well.

Gondor

• Like 2

The initial coat of paint has been applied to the cockpit. Xtracolor X3 Medium Sea Grey. Tomorrow morning the engine faces will be painted and the exhaust parts detailed, I will probably get all the doors cleaned up and primed along with the undercarriage legs. We will see though.

Gondor

• Like 1

Only been painting so far today. Gloss White :wall:

Hate the stuff. As this will be a camouflaged aircraft, thankfully the fuselage will not need to be painted in the stuff. Unfortunately, the undercarriage and bomb bays will.

I tarted up the Humbrol 53 that I have used for the rear of the engines and the exhaust nozzles by brushing some Xtracolor X500 Duralumin dry brushed onto the engine rear parts, I also used it for the engine fronts.

Among the things that I painted white were the intake shock cones, only to find out later when looking at the instructions that both the all-over white and the camouflaged machines have black shock cones :facepalm:

I also forgot to paint the outrigger wheel bays under the engines, I can do that later when I get around to painting the undercarriage legs, all four of them.

Later:

Just been doing some prep work for later. Basically just drilling holes into things, so tomorrow I am going to buy a small cat scratching pad which looks like corrugated cardboard on its side this will be just the thing to place cocktail sticks into when the other end of them is in the holes I have just drilled.

Also decided on what size of plastic strip I will attempt to build a scissor link for the main undercarriage from, 0.03 x 0.1" is what I am going to use. First time doing something like this but I know what I want to do, it's a matter of can I do it?

Gondor

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I don't think I've seen this one before. Interesting stuff. 

It's only been on sale since the middle of last month. and I started it about a day or so after I received it. Quite enjoying it so far.

Gondor

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 12:57 PM, Gondor44 said:

I have kept myself busy with this build, or rather, I have kept myself busy taking parts off their supports. The latest parts to be released from their scaffolding are the ejector seats, printed as single pieces :o  

53533596649_b7d0160249_c.jpg

Yes, the pull handles are part of the seat and weren't additional items, gob-smacking detail in what can be 3D printed  :blink:

Only a couple of spare joysticks and the tail bumper are left on the supports now. I still have to make sure the tyres fit onto the hubs of the outrigger wheels and tidy up the seats for all the preparation work to be completed, this is fast for me!

Gondor

i Bought the 72 scale Aerocraft ejection seats for the Buccaneer, so this does not surprise me at all.

I made a slight change to the colours I am going to use. The bomb bay is going to stay white. This is mostly because the painting I have done to it looks reasonable at the moment so it would be a shame to change it.

The undercarriage legs and bays have been painted in Colourcoats M23, the cockpit will get redone in Colourcoats M16 tomorrow.

53540119550_231f2b63fe_c.jpg

The photo is a little out of focus because the phone decided that the cat scratching mat that I bought today is far better to focus on. You get to see the colour, if not the detail in the picture. The parts will need a second coat later though so maybe just as well you can't see any detail.

I am thinking of adding brake lines to the undercarriage legs. This is not something that I have done before so advice would be appreciated before I get too far with them.

Gondor

• Like 6

Second coat of Colourcoats M23 this evening, tomorrow I will re-paint the cockpit and a few others that I need to do while I have the tin open.

Gondor

• Like 1

Excellent work so far & impressed with the looks of the quality as well. I'm also seriously interested in getting one. Just one concern & that's the clear resin canopy. Does that canopy look like it needs warming up & widening a little to make it fit, or is it something that Aerocraft could do something to adjust. 

Really would look good sitting next to a B-58 & a TSR-2. That's the plan! 

19 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Excellent work so far & impressed with the looks of the quality as well. I'm also seriously interested in getting one. Just one concern & that's the clear resin canopy. Does that canopy look like it needs warming up & widening a little to make it fit, or is it something that Aerocraft could do something to adjust. 

Really would look good sitting next to a B-58 & a TSR-2. That's the plan! 

Yes it does look that way. I plan to flair it in with the top of the fuselage sides but am worried about the side window. Not fully decided about this yet.

Anyway, I have repainted the cockpit! I am much happier with the colour now which is good.

Here is what it looked like yesterday

53543774903_31ddc94681_c.jpg

Ignore the number on the back, that was the first colour I was going to paint it.

Halfway house

53542724517_9cf0742e85_c.jpg

New paint on the left which is still wet at this stage

And now

53543774898_4bb2b29221_c.jpg

Not doing any more tonight. I will be starting to do detailed painting of the cockpit tomorrow.

Gondor

• Like 6

Had a good look at the canopy fit and found out that the problem is with the cockpit, it has a middle-aged spread. I currently have the sides clamped into the correct width and will treat with a hair dryer tomorrow.

Gondor

• Like 2

53549061371_720423a2d3_z.jpg

Gee, what do we have going on here? It's a clamp that's holding the fuselage at the width I desire and has been doing so since yesterday evening.

At least it's not a yellow triangle fitted to one wheel of my car!

After a bit of heat was applied with a hairdryer we get this...

53549254518_c6b8274669_c.jpg

Looks good so far, I will check later without the clamp in place.

And the result.

53548191767_517ae24b00_c.jpg

Quite pleased with this. The real result shall be seen when everything is inside the fuselage and the canopy goes on.

Gondor

• Like 9