Wellsprop's Various Argentine Skyhawk Questions

wellsprop

• wellsprop changed the title to A-4B Skyhawk Instrument Panel Pictures/Diagrams - and what about the A-4Q?
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

Off the top of my head, the main difference between an A-4P and an A-4Q is that the latter had the Collins electronic pack and the Wright J65 W-20 engine (plus the spoilers on the wings). But I don't know whether these changes would have made for a different layout on the IP. The A-4P had the Bendix electronics and the J65 W-16 engine.

Notwithstanding, there were a few airframes which incorporated the VLF Omega navigation system on both the Air Force (e.g., C-204) and the Armada birds (e.g., 3-A-305), so in these aircraft there was a panel for this interface in the centre of the IP. 

I'm still away from home so let me see if I can find a pic on the Interwebz to illustrate my point here.

spacer.png

Incidentally, may I take the opportunity to point something out to you with regard to the A-4P/Q and C, in view that I saw you're printing intakes/fans for these aircraft?

There are a couple of very distinctive NACA inlets inside the air intakes on these birds that no manufacturer I've ever spoken to about was able to come up with (Phase Hangar, DMold Modelworks and obviously not Hasegawa either).

Would these inlets be too difficult to replicate on a 3D-print 1/48 intake, Ben?

spacer.png

I once tried to replicate them to no avail with very thin styrene sheet on my Hasegawa 1/48 A-4P build.

On 2/11/2024 at 3:27 AM, Bozothenutter said:

Now I have to find the Padin books....

The only book by Jorge Núñez Padín where there is a very good picture of the instrument panel on the Argie A-4s is on the C version. Neither the A-4P nor the A-4Q books have pictures of the instrument panels, unfortunately.

Cheers

Igna

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Pajarito said:

The only book by Jorge Núñez Padín where there is a very good picture of the instrument panel on the Argie A-4s is on the C version. Neither the A-4P nor the A-4Q books have pictures of the instrument panels, unfortunately.

Cheers

Igna

Thanks for the heads up!

Any books in that series worth getting?

I have Daggers and SUE's too....

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Any books in that series worth getting?

I have Daggers and SUE's too....

Hi Bozo,

Anytime, my good mate in the land of sweet Ellen Hoog. 😍

As for the books of Mr. Núñez Padín, they're very good inasmuch of the historical account; the particulars on how the aircraft were acquired, the way crews were trained, battle reports, etc.

But as far as modelling is concerned, they lack certain detail which is present on the Detail & Scale, Verlinden or the Daco type of books.

I wish the series of books by JNP had more info regarding camo schemes or specific detail on armament/airframe detail.

Cheers,

Igna

Edited by Pajarito
Damn autocorrect feature on mobile phones!
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pajarito said:

Hi Bozo,

Anytime, my good mate in the land of sweet Ellen Hoog. 😍

As for the books of Mr. Núñez Padín, they're very good inasmuch of the historical account; the particulars on how the aircraft were acquired, the way crews were trained, battle reports, etc.

But as far as modelling is concerned, they lack certain detail which is present on the Detail & Scale, Verlinden or the Daco type of books.

I wish the series of books by JNP had more info regarding camo schemes or specific detail on armament/airframe detail.

Cheers,

Igna

Thanks.

Any local books worth getting?

On 22/02/2024 at 22:17, Pajarito said:

Incidentally, may I take the opportunity to point something out to you with regard to the A-4P/Q and C, in view that I saw you're printing intakes/fans for these aircraft?

There are a couple of very distinctive NACA inlets inside the air intakes on these birds that no manufacturer I've ever spoken to about was able to come up with (Phase Hangar, DMold Modelworks and obviously not Hasegawa either).

Would these inlets be too difficult to replicate on a 3D-print 1/48 intake, Ben?

Igna

Hola Igna,

Thanks for pointing out these NACA ducts, I had no idea they exist! They are perfectly easy to replicate and will be a feature on my duct update for the A-4.

Are you able to confirm which variants they were on? A, B, C, P and Q?

Cheers

Ben

On 2/24/2024 at 5:55 PM, wellsprop said:

Hola Igna,

They are perfectly easy to replicate and will be a feature on my duct update for the A-4.

Hola Ben,

Wow, that's great! I foresee getting no less than four of your 3D-print A-4 intake trunks/fans, then.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:55 PM, wellsprop said:

Are you able to confirm which variants they were on? A, B, C, P and Q?

Yes, I do. Both the A-4P and A-4Q are refurbished A-4Bs. The A-4C has those NACA ducts as well inside the intake trunk.

As for the A-4A, I'm not sure, but I bet it also has them. These NACA ducts seem to be present on the early versions of the Scooter only.

There's a very informative thread by Tailspin Turtle somewhere on ARC which has great pictures of these things I will try to find.

It looks like the NACA duct on the starboard intake is larger than that in the port side.

Cheers,

Igna

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I'm guessing the NACA ducts are related to the J65 engine, so I assume they were on the A4-A too.

Hi Ben,

I concur. This is only an educated guess, but I think those NACA ducts inside the intakes of the early marks of the A-4s were no longer necessary after the addition of the boundary layer flow diverters to the sides of the intakes on subsequent versions of the Scooter. But I could easily stand corrected, of course.

Tommie Thomason = Tailspin Turtle, ought to be a very busy man. I went down to page 100 on ARC (on the Jet Modelling section) looking for his link, but I was unable to find it.

His blog is top-notch.

Cheers,

Igna   

Something else to fix on the Argentinian planes that I rarely see done is the reinforcement strap over the outboard pylons. The A-4B/Cs were originally built for the US Navy with only one wing pylon per side. Many of them had an outboard pylon retrofitted before being resold. This necessitated removal of one of the vortex generators and there is a reinforcement riveted over the pylon area.  Not that it is notched to fit around the oval fuel tank access panels. 

x49fiEE.jpg

• Thanks 1

• wellsprop changed the title to Wellsprop's Various Argentine Skyhawk Questions
2 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

Something else to fix on the Argentinian planes that I rarely see done is the reinforcement strap over the outboard pylons. The A-4B/Cs were originally built for the US Navy with only one wing pylon per side. Many of them had an outboard pylon retrofitted before being resold. This necessitated removal of one of the vortex generators and there is a reinforcement riveted over the pylon area.  Not that it is notched to fit around the oval fuel tank access panels. 

Thanks for the info, my understanding is that none of the A-4P's or Q's ( remanufactured A-4B's) that Argentina had were fitted with the outside pylons - I thought this was the A-4C? Happy to be proved wrong! 

3 hours ago, wellsprop said:

This photo shows that nicely. 

Hi Ben,

Nice picture! Where did you find it? It's much better than that I wanted to share with you from Tommie's blog.

2 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

The A-4B/Cs were originally built for the US Navy with only one wing pylon per side. 

Hi Steve,

Yes, Scooters in the US Navy were built with two pylons under each wing not until the A-4E. There was a special requirement by the Argie Air Force to have their A-4Cs endowed with A-4E wings, but also, the A-4P would have spoilers on their wings, which were not present on the original B version.

32 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

I thought this was the A-4C? Happy to be proved wrong! 

The picture on Steve's post is of an Argie Air Force A-4C. Only this versions had the two pylons under the wings. Both the A-4P and Q had only one.  

Cheers,

Igna

• Like 2