Admiral Graf Spee to Admiral Scheer conversion

S-boat 55

Hi All, 

As some know I'm part way through building Academys Graf Spee in 1/350. It occured to me that Admiral Scheer and Lutzow get very neglected in this scale but a conversion should surely be possible. I know there are some differences on the hill dimensions but in 1/350 they are negligible. 

I'm specifically considering adapting to Admiral Scheer post her 1940 refit where she lost the pogoda structure and had a pole mast instead. I may be too far through to now do that but though it's worth looking into. Lutzow would be really different and as I've got the artwox deck on that's certainly not possible. 

I've a copy of 'Pocket battleships of the Deutschland class' which describes the major changes but gives nothing much in wider detail or any kind of deck/platform plans of Scheer, I'm having difficulty finding any kind of plans or deyailed info on her post refit, 

So my questions are:

1, Any one know a good place to find further info on Admiral Scheer

2, Have any of you attempted this conversion

3, Even if you've not got references are you aware of any other changes outside of the forward superstructure?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Marine Arsenal Band 12, "Admiral Scheer" by Siegfried Breyer has a list of changes DURING and AFTER reconstruction.

During:

a) new foundations for main engines

b) new bow forward of frame 112

c) replacement of pagoda structure by pole mast

d) extension of funnel-platform and installation of flat funnel cap, keeping the "Schorntseinteller"

e) new mainmast

f) increase capacity for spare torpedoes to 4

g) new bakery

h) FuMo-26 on Vormars

i) MES-Anlage (Magnetischer Eigen-Schutz)

After:

a) from 1941, a second FuMO-26 on the aft 10.5m range finder

b) 1942: funnel cap was raised as in sister Lützow, replacing the "Schornsteinteller"; at the same time, funnel platforms were reduced to 2 (from 3)

c) 1942: delete the front Vormarsplattform

d) up to 1943 there were 2 FuMo-26 antennas on the forward rangefinder, from 1943 on only one.

There is a side-view for 1940, and a sideview plus deck plan for 1944, the deck plan includes the increased AA outfit planned for 1945.

Hth, Richard

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Richard502 said:

Marine Arsenal Band 12, "Admiral Scheer" by Siegfried Breyer has a list of changes DURING and AFTER reconstruction.

During:

a) new foundations for main engines

b) new bow forward of frame 112

c) replacement of pagoda structure by pole mast

d) extension of funnel-platform and installation of flat funnel cap, keeping the "Schorntseinteller"

e) new mainmast

f) increase capacity for spare torpedoes to 4

g) new bakery

h) FuMo-26 on Vormars

i) MES-Anlage (Magnetischer Eigen-Schutz)

After:

a) from 1941, a second FuMO-26 on the aft 10.5m range finder

b) 1942: funnel cap was raised as in sister Lützow, replacing the "Schornsteinteller"; at the same time, funnel platforms were reduced to 2 (from 3)

c) 1942: delete the front Vormarsplattform

d) up to 1943 there were 2 FuMo-26 antennas on the forward rangefinder, from 1943 on only one.

There is a side-view for 1940, and a sideview plus deck plan for 1944, the deck plan includes the increased AA outfit planned for 1945.

Hth, Richard

That's brilliant, thanks Richard, appreciate the help, from reading through that sounds very doable but my build is likely a little too far through, without undoing some tricky work on the funnel, nowt for it but I'll just have to buy another and build both of them, 

Do you have Shipcraft 1 German Pocket Battleships by Roger Chesneau?  It includes 2 sets of 1/700 drawings showing Scheer appearance changes 1939-40 and 1940-43.  The good news is that Scheer is closer to Graf Spee than Luetzow/Deutschland was.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Do you have Shipcraft 1 German Pocket Battleships by Roger Chesneau?  It includes 2 sets of 1/700 drawings showing Scheer appearance changes 1939-40 and 1940-43.  The good news is that Scheer is closer to Graf Spee than Luetzow/Deutschland was.

I've actually just got my hands on a copy of it via another member of the group, its going to be very helpful I think,

Hi Sam,

I would be very interested in following your conversion of Graf Spee to Scheer as I am contemplating building the 3 pocket battleships of this class myself but in Hellers 1/400 scale. I have collected all of Hellers 1/400 GrafSpee, two of Scheer (Hellers post 1942 version and Lees late 1930’s version) and Lutzow. Scheer, as Seahawk correctly points out, is very similar to Graf Spee, especially as built in the ’30s. But my bigger focus is on building Deutschland as she was first built pre Lutzow. Her layout was considerably different in superstructure (narrower) and deck layout from Graf Spee or Scheer and combining that with her original hull profile pre the clipper style bow they installed. Lots of customising needed. And like you probably having to buy at least 2 hulls to make it work. Worthwhile project though and I wish you well with it. 🙂

• Like 1

spacer.png

The main problem will be the bow and the anchor hawse. The superstructure corresponds to Graf Spee with the exception of the chimney cap and the associated searchlight platform.

The front structure has been changed from the bridge onwards, but it won't be that difficult to scratchbuild using tubular evergreen styrene.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi 

DiStefan 3D on shapeways has 3 d prints of the superstructure and funnel in 1.350 and other scales but i would change the mast for brass .

• Like 1