U.S. Army announces shock Future Attack and Reconnaissance Aircraft (FARA) program.

bootneck

• bootneck changed the title to U.S. Army announces shock Future Attack and Reconnaissance Aircraft (FARA) program.

So what's the difference between Real Aviation and Aviation Chat 🤔 bit hard to keep track of everything 😔 This type of real world news usually goes in Real Aviation!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Alan P said:

This type of real world news usually goes in Real Aviation!

It does. We'll make allowance for Booty Mike though, as he's an old giffer :wicked:

• Haha 2

Jamie is correct.

The drone development is the massive shift in aerial recon.

The original Loach was superb for the task, then the Kiowa (which was phased out so the Apache had to take over that role - an expensive way though).

FARA is/was a successful programme... just coming to fruition as the world changed direction.

"Lightweight recon" has become troops carrying the recon platform with them, instead of being carried aroun IN the platform. Well... until jamming/electronic warfare gets in the way.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

On the face of it, there is logic in the reasoning given in the article. Drones have completely changed tactical reconnaissance in Ukraine.

I agree but I feel there is a need for manned recce also .....if you have a clever opposition who can jam your control signal between the RPAS /UAV/drone and the ground its kinda game over ...whilst the sloppy link is in charge of flying you may still fulfill the mission.

However small porthole bigger picture as they say.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:56 PM, Alan P said:

So what's the difference between Real Aviation and Aviation Chat 🤔 bit hard to keep track of everything 😔 This type of real world news usually goes in Real Aviation!

Hmmm I guess as it is about drones replacing real aviation   the chat thread is OK...

Duck and cover... :confused: :wall:

On 2/12/2024 at 12:41 PM, junglierating said:

I agree but I feel there is a need for manned recce also .....if you have a clever opposition who can jam your control signal between the RPAS /UAV/drone and the ground its kinda game over ...whilst the sloppy link is in charge of flying you may still fulfill the mission.

However small porthole bigger picture as they say.

The same jamming systems however can prevent the guys on the manned platform from communicating with the ground troops. At that point any info would have to be related after the platform lands, with potentially serious delay.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The same jamming systems however can prevent the guys on the manned platform from communicating with the ground troops. At that point any info would have to be related after the platform lands, with potentially serious delay.

Welcome to the UK armed forces world...capability gaps abound 

7 hours ago, junglierating said:

Welcome to the UK armed forces world...capability gaps abound 

Oh well - not that much different here.... The Heer deliberately retired Gepard some 15 years ago without replacement, creating a gap in battlefield air defence. Elsewhere, it shows that it is still a very capable system after some 50 years. Similar for maritime recce - retire first, find replacement later...

• Sad 1