Avro 748 +++ Finished +++

Hi all,

I'm planning on three entries for this GB, two of which are already in my stash and one of which is on its way.  I'm not sure which will get built first.

But here's one of them anyway.

P1130822.jpg

It's a sweet little kit, with a beautiful resin fuselage (c/w embedded nose weight), white metal parts for most other things and a small PE fret for the really small details.  It just exudes quality :).

P1130823.jpg

There are two sets of decals: a pretty blue VARIG scheme and a more functional red one from BKS Air Transport.

P1130824.jpg

I'll be building the latter - mainly because I collect British airline liveries, but also because I love the way it proclaims that it's a 'PROP-JET AVRO 748'.  Very '60s! 

I'm hoping that @Mjwomack will approve too 🎯

There's an atmospheric photo of a BKS 748 here, taken at Manchester Airport in 1964.

Cheers

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

how could I, or anyone, not approve?! Rather like the VARIG livery but indeed that BKS one is something else!! And the Manchester photo is awesome.

Let's get those Darts aturning!

• Haha 1

I used to see the BKS 748's often when operating in and out of my then local airport at Yeadon (Leeds/Bradford Airport as it became known). I probably have some old B&W photos somewhere together with an old Dan Air AS 57 Ambassador. Both built for a similar purpose but whilst the 748 Darts "whistled" smoothly, the Centaurus engines of the clapped out Ambassador rattled and banged!😄

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice choice Cliff, 

I am still undecided on my build but a 1/72 HS-748 did pop into the list. I spent 3 years working on them in the RAAF so you have my full attention with your build!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice choice Cliff, 

I am still undecided on my build but a 1/72 HS-748 did pop into the list. I spent 3 years working on them in the RAAF so you have my full attention with your build!

Thanks Ray.  So no pressure on me then!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I'm in the middle of paint cycles on my Frog-Eye, so I thought I'd make a start on this 748 in between coats.

I've started with the major components (of course).

P1130889.jpg

The tailplanes are 'handed', and the hand-written 'S' was helpfully put on by the manufacturer.  The instructions also say that the engine nacelles are handed, but there are no markings and I really couldn't see any differences.  Here's where I've got to now.

P1130890.jpg

The parts were easy to clean up (although working with metal is always messy), and went together easily, with just a smear of filler required for the engine joints.  I've left the wings loose for the moment, as I want to put some primer on the engine joints to double-check that everything is smooth.  Any final fettling will be much easier to do with the wings separate.

Cheers

• Like 11

Thanks Ray 👍

Everything's primed now.

P1130897.jpg

and main gear doors added...

P1130898.jpg

The remaining miscellaneous parts have been primed too - apart from the u/c legs which I've simply left in their natural metal.

I just needed to pop on the o-ring tyres.  Instant modelling!

P1130899.jpg

Cheers

• Like 9

On 4/9/2024 at 1:59 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Nice Cliff, I think it’s going to look terrific painted up.

Thank you :)

I'm pleased to report that the main painting is now finished.

White went on first.

P1130900.jpg

I then I had the challenge of working out where the cheatline demarcation should go.  The decals are not very opaque and so have to be applied over white. The positioning of the demarcation line is therefore critical (there's no hiding it beneath the cheatline decal in this case!).  

To help, I photocopied the decals and taped them in place.  The white goes to the bottom of the windows.

P1130901.jpg

From there, I was able to position the masking.

P1140001.jpg

And here we are finished.

P1140002.jpg

Time will tell whether I've got it right or not...

Cheers

• Like 10

• CliffB changed the title to Avro 748 +++ Finished +++

Great little aircraft, very "angular" look it has somehow , I'd have believed it was a soviet design if you'd just showed it to me (yep, I know less than nowt about civil aircraft 😁

I like the blacked out plain window idea, reminds me of the models they sometimes had in travel agent's windows when I were a lad! 

Cracking model and an interesting mix of build materials in the kit.. love it👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks to everyone who's followed along and especially to @Mjwomack for starting the Darts tournament!

That's one tidy little fellow, and a suitable KUTA for me to crack on with my Friendship!

• Thanks 1

Normally these airliners go together quickly and have a long painting period but this seems to be the other way round.

Great end result!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This brings back memories - when I was still living in Bradford I used to see the BKS 748's quite often as they flew services from Leeds/Bradford Airport. Fortunately navigation equipment seemed to have improved by then - during the early 1950's I remember that when the weather closed in the old DC-3's often seemed to fly low enough to navigate using street maps. When my parents got their first TV they had to have an enormous "H" aerial mounted on the chimney to pick up a signal from far away Sutton Coldfield transmitter near Birmingham and more than once I thought a low flying "Dak" was going to hit it - the 748's never flew quite that low over the house!

Nice build.:thumbsup:

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1