Vickers Valiant BK.Mk.1***Finished***

All the decs are now on and I have added the aerials on the cockpit.

DSC09908-crop

The greyhound badge of 49 Squadron is a bit "loud" compared with the toned down markings - I guess it would be painted out in time of war assuming they had enough warning.

So, a bit of touching up to do, the pitot tubes to add and paint, and it will be ready for its final coat of varnish. In the above view most of the stencil is invisible!

Pete

• Like 9

Looks very good Pete, do you hand or airbrush paint ? If you airbrush you can do a mix of clear with just a drop or two of the base color. Dusted over the greyhound would reduce its brightness. Not sure if you could do it hand brushing. However I think the idea could transfer and work if you're clear is mixed thoroughly. 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks very good Pete, do you hand or airbrush paint ? If you airbrush you can do a mix of clear with just a drop or two of the base color. Dusted over the greyhound would reduce its brightness. Not sure if you could do it hand brushing. However I think the idea could transfer and work if you're clear is mixed thoroughly. 

Although I could tone it down I rather think the colour is intentional - like the artwork on many US planes, even when otherwise painted in various low-vis schemes.

Pete

• Like 1

• PeterB changed the title to Vickers Valiant BK.Mk.1***Finished***
Posted (edited)

Well, that's done and ready for the gallery!

DSC09916-crop

I have included the unpainted Blue Danube nuclear weapon provided with the kit - as you can see the early nukes were very big but a lot of that was the aerodynamic fairing, Although it only seems to have weighed about 10000lb is was 24ft 2inches long and 5ft 2 inches in diameter. This compares unfavourable with the 12000lb Tallboy which was 21ft long and 3ft 2inches in diameter, and even the 22000lb Grand Slam which was 26ft 6inches by 3ft 6inches. Gradually the size of the "nuclear" part was reduced to more manageable proportions, resulting in smaller and somewhat lighter bombs.

I have enjoyed building this kit - the fit was pretty good although the wing to fuselage and bomb doors to fuselage joints could have been better. In his build Gen Melchett highlighted a number of errors made by Airfix. I have already mentioned the nose wheel bay/door problem, but also the top of the vertical tail is the wrong shape apparently, the intake splitter on the engines is also wrong and the panel line just in front of the cockpit is too far back resulting in the grey are under the nose being too long. I filed the top of the tail down a bit and trimmed the nose doors, but otherwise I have not bothered.

So according to Airfix this is a plane from 49 Squadron based at RAF Marham in 1963, just before the change to low level and camouflage paint. Airfix suggest that it could have had either pale roundels above the wings or the more standard coloured D Type but I have stuck with the pale ones.

Now all I have to do is put up yet another shelf to store it on!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 8

That looks amazing, meanwhile I’m so overwhelmed on how much sanding of my Vulcan I’ve not done anything to it since Easter week aside from adding some filler. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1