Douglas C-47 Dakota +++ Finished +++

Hi all,

As I alluded to in the Chat section, I consider it disgraceful that we've got this far without a single C-47 in the Group Build :winkgrin:!

So here I am, plugging that gap with this 1/200 offering from Hasegawa.

P1130819.jpg

I built their 1/200 scale Hercules in the recent Transport GB and found it delightful.  I hope this one is as good.

As you'd expect from Hasegawa, the parts look good on their sprues.

P1130820.jpg

Also as you'd expect from Hasegawa, the white bits on the decal sheet look decidedly creamy.

P1130821.jpg

Two RAF options are provided:  the 267 Squadron scheme shown on the box art and a 233 Squadron, D-Day aircraft.

I'll be choosing the latter, which I believe is/was also the scheme carried by the BBMF's Dak.

Cheers

• Like 18

Looks nice. I wouldn't be put off by the off white white. It shows the colour weathered. It wouldn't look right being too bright

• Like 2

Thanks for all your comments guys :)

On 2/9/2024 at 8:03 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Does look lovely on the sprues, very nice. 

Yes the detail's very fine - possibly too fine!

There are a multitude of probes and antennae which are whisker thin.  There's virtually no chance of them still being there by the end of the build...

P1130829.jpg

So far, so good though and I've managed to get the major parts together with all their protrusions still intact.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, Paul J said:

I wouldn't be put off by the off white white. It shows the colour weathered.

That's a very generous interpretation of Hasegawa's dodgy decals Paul, but sadly one that I can't quite get away with, given that the white stripes were only a couple of days' old on D-Day :winkgrin:.  I've also got a precedent to follow, so I'll be painting the Dak's stripes to match...

P1130831.JPG

Cheers

• Like 12

On 2/11/2024 at 9:17 AM, modelling minion said:

Your Horsa looks very nice too, will she be displayed with the Dak?

Thanks Craig and yes, they'll both be on display (one of the advantages of 1/200 :winkgrin:).

In fact, I'm aiming to build all six of the British Airborne Force's D -Day aircraft types this year.  

Here are the remaining four. All need a bit of tweaking/conversion work - especially the Halifax and Stirling.

Hopefully though, they'll make a nice stripey set once finished.

P1130836.jpg

Cheers

• Like 13

Your Dakota's gone together nicely, Cliff, hopefully those aerials survive the build. That's a great selection of models for your remaining D-Day builds too

James

• Thanks 1

Thanks @modelling minion @81-er and @vppelt68

That set of four by chance shows how 1/200 scale has progressed.

The Albemarle's a plastic Wiking model which was one of a series produced in Germany for aircraft ID training during WWII.  Thousands were made.  The moulds survived the war and mine's a modern re-pop.

The Halifax and Sterling were collectors pieces made in resin by a guy in the States (trading as HBM), in the early 2000s I think.

The Hamilcar is a 3D-print which I bought a few weeks ago via Shapeways.  Apparently I'm the first person in the world to have it in 1/200 scale :king:.

I see 3D-printing as a mixed blessing for 1/200.  On the one hand it's great to be able to get virtually anything you want nowadays, but against that I miss the 'thrill of the chase', trying to find obscure models/kits on eBay.  I guess there's just no pleasing some people!

• Like 2

Just a small age difference in the toolings then? I must admit, I'm very glad I bought a 3d printer, as it means I can get things I couldn't in any other way. Mine's currently printing some bits for a Martian Fighting Machine from the 1953 War of the Worlds movie, as the kits for them are more than I'm willing to pay and generally smaller than I want. There's also plans rumbling along in the background for a diorama based on the artwork of the Jeff Wayne musical version too (can you tell I'm a big WotW fan?). 

James

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

It's been over a month since I last picked this up, but with a couple of other completions in the meantime, the C-47 is now top of my 'to do' pile.

All parts have been cleaned up and assembled (the props and u/c's are still loose), and I'm ready to paint.

P1130875.jpg

Not surprisingly, I have indeed managed to knock off the two top antennae, but luckily the bits underneath are still hanging in there :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 12

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

Not surprisingly, I have indeed managed to knock off the two top antennae

The cruellest part of this is the urge to put the details on too early when you know they'll get knocked off 🙃

• Haha 1

That looks ripe for painting, Cliff, hopefully the primer won't show any nasties

James

• Thanks 1