My first Sea Diorama - Revell - Type VII C/41

Hiya all 

This is my first water Dio and I'm hoping to learn alot and prepare myself for a couple of high detail ship / sub dioramas that I have planned.

spacer.png

I have already built and painted the sub, it was soooo tiny that I feel a bit silly posting photos of what was a few pieces and a little glue, not really taxing (apart from being small!) So this build will focus on the water.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A starter for 10.

(A big fan of old school university challenge)

Comments and suggestions welcome 🤓👍

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you have done a good job on the sub already but you are making more work for yourself using such a big base to have to cover all that when I did my build of a 1/144 scale one I used a narrow base.

Try it on smaller sizes if still experimenting with the water effects.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000563-bby-1144-u-boot-rising-from-the-waves/

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Try it on smaller sizes if still experimenting with the water effects.

I thought I'd try and use a bigger base to get into the various waves and learn as much as possible, divergent / transverse / foam band / breaking waves.

Thanks! 👍

• Like 2

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

you are making more work for yourself using such a big base

I'll have to agree with Keith but it's up to you. Wave pattern looks like she is doing about 9 knots...

Stuart

• Like 1

This is where I am thus far.

Balsa wood sticks bent and glued with pva.

spacer.png

I'm going to add the kitchen paper towel and smooth this out a little in a bit.

I made the depressions a little deeper than I might have as I thought it would be easier to take some away now and add it later rather than realise too late that I needed to increase the height of something to make it right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bissyboat said:

That base is developing into a nice seascape. 👍

Thankyou that's very kind of you to say so. 👍

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I'll have to agree with Keith but it's up to you. Wave pattern looks like she is doing about 9 knots...

Thanks for the speed estimate, I'm not sure if adding the balsa wood and a little sanding has made that speed increase, a sub on the surface would only be doing, what roughly 14 - 19 knots full speed dependant on  sea / weather conditions and mechanical upkeep / damage or fuel supply issues so a little less for cruising speed say 9 - 11 knots???

• Like 1

Just in time for a sea diorama build. I am working on a tiny sea diorama for my HMS Fearless now. I am sure I can learn something from here although I am using different technique. Watching…..

• Like 1

I've added lots of paper kitchen towel and tamped it down.

spacer.png

Looking at it now I think I need to add a little more paper to the ends of the balsa... WIP!

• Like 2

Not bad… but my understanding is of all the divergent waves only the first one (the bow wave) will actually be in contact with the hull. The second, third etc will be rolling away and don’t visibly contact it. The remaining ‘gap’ (between hull and divergent waves) is where the lower height sine-form ‘transverse’ waves form. 

Remember though this is your model (and I too am a beginner with seascapes) so feel free to make your own interpretation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Not bad… but my understanding is of all the divergent waves only the first one (the bow wave) will actually be in contact with the hull. The second, third etc will be rolling away and don’t visibly contact it. The remaining ‘gap’ (between hull and divergent waves) is where the lower height sine-form ‘transverse’ waves form. 

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, I was too busy doing and not focusing on quiet what....

After a quick bit of snipping and filling I think I've adjusted it to suit.

I will have to adjust my sketch as I followed that rather than the many photos which indicate but don't show it all in one photo. 

Thanks muchly 👍

• Like 2

Hi, it has dried and after a little extra prodding and pushing this is where I am.....

spacer.png

I'm not sure if thus far this is nah / ok / good?  Or where it might need tinkering?

Comments and suggestions welcome. 👍

• Like 4

I have revised my sketch to better show the wakes...

spacer.png

And a photo with sub in place....

spacer.png

As ever, comments and suggestions welcome 👍

• Like 4

Hello Bill  your reworking to the seascape are a big improvement judging by the last

photo…

Paul

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PAUL67 said:

Hello Bill  your reworking to the seascape are a big improvement judging by the last

photo…

Thanks for the encouragement👍

I have since added some tile grout to the base to square it up a little as my poor storage had mangled the foam a little on the edges.

When I was applying the tile adhesive I noticed it gave a great texture and I have daubed more onto the waves and peaks and smoothed out the square balsa to form more wave-lile forms.

It's drying in front of my ceramic heater and I'll post a photo when I can handle without damaging the grout.

Yip yip!

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 2

Right then, after adding the tile grout and painting it and sanding some of the ridges flatter I am here.....

spacer.png

I'm gonna add more primer then airbrush a grey / blue over the top and then start adding the gels and such.

• Like 3

I am happy with the reduction of non wave like peaks, unless I have this wrong???

spacer.png

Does it require more tinkering or adjustments, not having a full knowledge of wave forms and many projects under my belt I don't feel well placed to say either way?

• Like 3

I have airbrushed various blues, then greens and the a greeny grey and then a little more blue.....

spacer.png

I'm going to out some of the clear heavy gel on and have a play....

Hopefully adding the gel will give it a bit more depth, let's see 🤓

• Like 8

Hiya,

Kind and generous modelling folks, I need some help.

With this build I am focusing on practicing the seascape and building the model subs for my main plan build of a tribal over a German sub and a fletcher over Japanese sub.

I have made the German sub but not painted it yet and I am purusing the Japanese sub, below....

spacer.png

I haven't been able to find many real photos of this sub in use, I plan on this sub being submerged and being hunted by the Fletcher, so my question is this;

What is up / open / on deck?  There are various masts and cranes / sea planes / torpedoes.

I see many different photos of the i-58 with a plane on deck, others with a hangar and others with torpedo's on deck others with nothing.

The kit comes with additional torpedoes and a sea plane but doesn't really say what to do with them?

I didn't think (admittedly with my limited knowledge of Japanese navy stuff) that it would be a good idea having a sea plane lashed to your deck as you submerge or try to remain undetected  by not making noise as water gurgles past a sea plane???? or are surfaded in rough seas??

Furthermore lashing torpedoes on deck sounds like a really stupid thing to do as there outside of the pressure hull, completely unprotected etc. And open to being set off by machine gun fire from aircraft and adding additional drag once submerged.

I won't pretend to know much of Japanese submarines as there are, to my knowledge no Japanese Submarine films but many English / American films.   'Run silent, run deep', 'das boot', 'hunt for red October', 'k19 widow-maker', 'kursk', 'u-571' (which was a story of a British submarine mr hollywood), 'enemy below', 'phantom', 'crimson tide', 'hunter killer', plus many others.

NONE of these films show torpedoes / planes / massive masts on deck. Because they're counter intuative, silly and dangerous, surely?

So why are they there? What do I model with this sub submerged?

I know that the IJN was a little 'out there' and ever so slightly unhinged (kimikazi stuff etc) but damn this all looks and sounds a little too far for my logical brain to accept.

I'm feeling like I could just as well model a barbecue or something silly / jack lemon 'blacked up' pretending to be a native in one of his many zanny war films at this rate.....?

Please help me make sense of this stuff. 🤪