So:

• Hasegawa F-104G, still bagged
  • Paulus Victor decals
  • Master pitot tube
  • New Ware mask
  • Humbrol 116
  • Some images from the net

Should give me a model of RDAF F-104G R-699, US serial 63-12699 first flight June 5 1964, to Denmark November 1964 (NMF?) painted green October 1 1969 and a bit (a lot?) worn at RAF Gutersloh in September 1975, which fits the theme?

Just waiting for Quinta 3D cockpit decals but we've got 11 days still?

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 16

This is a shake and bake kit, but what a pleasure it is.

Enjoy!

JR

• Thanks 1

Postman delivered the final bit of AM today, the new Quinta 3D decals for cockpit and seat; I've enjoyed using them on my F-4 builds previously. Takes some time with 10 decals for the seat alone. :fool:

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 09/02/2024 at 19:36, jean said:

This is a shake and bake kit,

JR

...if only I found it so easy, last one started on 10-Jun-23, finished just now. 😀

Chris 

Looks interesting, why did the green painted Danish fighters look so scruffy? I think I saw one, a Draken, that looked neat. The Hasegawa kit, despite its age, is still a very nice kit. I built a Canadian one for a GB a couple of years back. 

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Looks interesting, why did the green painted Danish fighters look so scruffy? I think I saw one, a Draken, that looked neat. The Hasegawa kit, despite its age, is still a very nice kit. I built a Canadian one for a GB a couple of years back. 

Paint formula. They repainted Starfighters with a stable glossy green that looked the same shade later, the Huns were gone by then. 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Paint formula. They repainted Starfighters with a stable glossy green that looked the same shade later, the Huns were gone by then. 

Chris

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Back in the day the Danes were regular attenders at the annual Leuchars air show with their F-104’s in the static. They had to be seen to be believed. The back end of their F100’s and F-104’s were rusty brown and the Matt green was just all shades of worn. I particularly recall looking at a Starfighter after a shower. It was September and Scotland after all. The wet areas were almost a black green and dry various shades of what was once a uniform colour. That Matt green paint did not wear well at all and rather reminiscent of the RAF sooty black on Beaufighters and how that wore badly. 
As @Chrisj2003 says they changed to a glossy finish later presumably to avoid the earlier wear issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started and then realised that although I made two orders for AM for this I hadn't checked basics, my tyre black and aluminium colour were nearly empty, and a nearly empty jar of Tamiya black doesn't paint well, so another order to the big H, which has arrived very quickly.

• All 4 photos I've found of the chosen airframe over a number of yeas show exactly the same configuration, tip tanks, fuselage missile rails, nothing under the wings; so tip tanks assembled.
  • Exhaust painted.
  • Intakes shock cone and outer edges painted.
  • One of the main undercarriage doors is short shot, so I will have to fix that.
  • Every MB ejection seat for the F-104 appears to be a different colour, but I don't like the green I've done so that will get redone.
  • Need to remove detail in cockpit for 3D decals.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress, proceeded slowly with removing molded detail from IP which is clear plastic; but done and made a start on the 3D decals.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Not much progress, proceeded slowly

But progress it is, and looking good Chris 👍

Cheers

• Thanks 1

So that's the pit done; still got more decals to add to seat but that will go in towards the end.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

And front fuselage all assembled, slowly, from experience of previous builds the fit of the intakes is imprecise and not much mating surface so I've gone one piece at a time and left to set solid. Last couple of builds I have left a lot of the seam clean-up until everything was together but I've recognised that apart from the blade aerial on the underside this front fuselage is robust so I'll get this all sorted out before mating with the rear. (Except for the pitot which will be toward the end as on this plane the because I've got show the radome a solid un-faded colour and different to the rest of the plane.) Gone for green and khaki cover to the IP which seems typical of a G, unlike the light grey of the S. Freehand painting of the anti icing black paint wasn't as good as I'd hoped but I'll be masking off anyway for the faded green body colour.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

Fuselage all together now. I painted the canopy framing before fitting which gives a chance to check on any errors more easily, At the same time I made a start on the less faded panel lines from photos, and trialled a bit of lightened finished colour on the tail; the contrast is not as obvious in the photo as in real life. Some filling and filing on the front/rear join then the wings and tip-tanks.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Between family things I got the wings and main wheel doors on on after getting the front/rear fuselage joints flush.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 5