DARTing About 1 - Viscount

Aiming to match my GB PB on this GB with 2 entries. As ever, I didn't plan it this way and was only going to enter the S&M Models Viscount that my LHS recommended as 'a joy'

20240205-114410.jpg 

Then discovered my Air Anglia Fokker Friendship

is also eligible and before I knew it I've got a little Rolls Royce Dart thing going on!

The RR Dart is bang on for Baby Boomers because it was first run in 1946, it powered the Viscount on it's first fare paying flight in 1948 and the Northolt/ Paris (Le Bourget) route was the first scheduled turbo-prop route.

Now back to the kit, His Emminence the All-Building @Enzo the Magnificent has already been there

He described it as., 'This one has been fun! The kit is simpler than the simplest thing in Simpleland.' and I'm encouraged by the parts count

20240205-114614.jpg 

It's even got locating lugs and everything, so I actually feel a little built guilty about how straightforward it could be which is where DARTing About 2 comes in!

Not much to the decals and instructions either...

20240205-204316.jpg 

It's got to be harder than this right? One thing I've established is that the Eagle Airways red on thefuselage was prone to fading, sometimes described as a shade of salmon. The few colour photos of them on the t'internet' look that way, but how much was real fading and how much dow to poor film and print preservation?

Who cares, this looks like a mojo restorer for me!

Edited by Mjwomack
Link Added
  • Like 17

Welcome to the GB from me too.

The Viscount's one of my favourites as I had a few British Midland flights back in the day.

The Eagle Airlines scheme is nice and bright - just out of interest, what's the flag on the tail (I'm asking for a friend).

Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

(I'm asking for a friend).

Perhaps we have the same 'friend'? Because 'My Friend' is urging me to go with a Bermudan registered one for novelty value because you don't see many of those (unlike in shipping)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, zebra said:

Love the Viscount, flew in them many times as a kid, loved those big windows and the sound of Darts. I may well join in with a Viscount myself.

As @Enzo the Magnificent has previoulsy said, you can't have too many Viscounts, but I can't help there's a gap in the line-up which is nicely Herald shaped😉

• Like 3

Don't tell @Enzo the Magnificent in case it goes to his head but he's right! This could well be the simplest kit on Planet Simple! It's going together as an absolute joy; not that Im ever entering a blitzbuild, but if I did this is the kit I'd do it with. All but click together fuselage, clever little dihedral settings on the tail. This is a couple of hours work

20240219-201616.jpg 

Some grey/black inside the wings to darken up where the exhausts are open right through. Bit of tidying up on the leading edge of the main wings and blasting onwards.

That's enough fun for one evening, got to remind myself this is only a diversion not a replacement to the Shell Welder in the Frog GB.

• Like 15

I have to say that "S&M" Models didn't give me a great sense of security about the simplicity, but they're proving me wrong so far...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

I have to say that "S&M" Models didn't give me a great sense of security about the simplicity, but they're proving me wrong so far...

The name is the scariest part, maybe one of the historians can explain how it came about?

It's a lovely kit, and as some other builds on BM show, you can really go to town with it as a base kit, or just have your mojo soothed as appropriate.

Hopefully this won't get me a warning, but as the name has been mentioned- 'hit me' said the masochist, 'shan't' said the sadist.

• Haha 3

On 2/7/2024 at 7:23 AM, CliffB said:

Welcome to the GB from me too.

The Viscount's one of my favourites as I had a few British Midland flights back in the day.

The Eagle Airlines scheme is nice and bright - just out of interest, what's the flag on the tail (I'm asking for a friend).

Cheers

Sorry Cliff, just realised I may not have answered your question!

I'm going for VR-B aircraft, which is Bermudan and is the red flag,

The one with the light blue background is for the G- aircraft and is the Civil Air Ensign, mainly used at airports but also by the Civil Aviation Flying Unit. Quite how it came to be on Eagle Airways a/c I can't explain; my best guess is that they did work for the CAA etc and so had that privilege

• Like 3

Masked up and only the red left to go on

20240226-210557.jpg 

Base coat of 'light rust' then tomorrow it'll be the cleverly named Italian Red from Revell, which may or may not look like a certain racing car's red, and then the big reveal.

I'm trying to go slowly, but it is SUCH a joy this kit

• Like 10

I'm not the only one who get's auto-cucumbered! But I think I know what you're saying.

It'll be interesting how it ''shapes' up next to @zebra EE one. I suspect mines a bit 'soft' on its lines. But on a cost benefit (pleasure in my case) analysis this is going to one hard to beat.

Your Viscount’s looking great!

I suspect the lines of the EE kit are a bit crisper but it’s no mojo restorer! Unless your mojo is restored by this kind of kit, which gets us back round to the other meaning of S&M…

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I'm not the only one who get's auto-cucumbered! But I think I know what you're saying.

Not sure what I did there, but hopefully I didn’t upset the modelling deities! 🤣

• Haha 1

That moment of trepidation when the masks are off and you wonder if you'e lined up for the cabin window/ cheat line decal correctly...

20240302-100711.jpg 

That bit I managed, but a little short in the nose, so extending the red along there and onto some decals!

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Paint has turned out quite nice. 

I think the 'M' in 'S&M Models' stands for Midas because everything g this kit touches turns to gold! It might even make me look at half-decent modeller by the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've missed this one thus far (as I don't immediately tend to look at airliner types tbh...) 

Looking very sharp indeed sir.. 👍

Vac formed kit eh?.. you're a braver man than me, I think i looked at one when I was a youngster and thought a very definite.. "Nah.." 😁

• Thanks 1