Looking for good book.

Hi folks.

Ever since I latched onto @Bertie McBoatface superb  HMS Bellerophon build I keep getting this itch to build a sailing ship wooden kit but my knowledge of these superb vessels is very limited, especially in the terminology used in the construction and maintaining of these ships. What I am looking for is a good book that will give me this information without being confusing to the layman, I am familiar with some words but don't know exactly which part of the ship those words are describing, such as 'forcastle'. I know it is towards the front but that is about it.

Also we have all the equipment, sails and rigging to name a few others so there really is much to learn and understand to allow me to better understand what I am building.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Gary 

I rely on Seamanship by John Harland (1984) for questions about how sailing ships actually work and Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfelt (2005) for detailed information about how to build models of them. Both out of print but widely available second hand. There are many others guides too.

embed?resid=42848F2D6BD88EC4!12409&authk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I rely on Seamanship by John Harland (1984) for questions about how sailing ships actually work and Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfelt (2005) for detailed information about how to build models of them. Both out of print but widely available second hand. There are many others guides too.

Thank you Bertie for your recommendations, there are many books out there to choose from but having books that come with recommendations is far better than buying blind as I would be doing. There are one or two on your shelf too that look like they will be very handy, it seems my library will get an extension of at least one more shelf.

Cheers.

Gary

• Like 2

Funnily enough, my full-size sail making instructor also recommended Historic Ship Models from his own extensive personal collection as a really good piece of work showing how things work full-size too. There's just as much jargon and nuance in rigging as there is in hull construction and it can be difficult to find all the information you're looking for in a single book - e.g. a topping lift and lazy jacks can appear to serve the same purpose but not really, the former is to support a boom when a 4-sided sail is being raised or lowered and doesn't support the gaff itself, whilst the latter is really to control the sail itself and the gaff at the top from flapping around during the raising or lowering.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Funnily enough, my full-size sail making instructor also recommended Historic Ship Models from his own extensive personal collection as a really good piece of work showing how things work full-size too. There's just as much jargon and nuance in rigging as there is in hull construction and it can be difficult to find all the information you're looking for in a single book - e.g. a topping lift and lazy jacks can appear to serve the same purpose but not really, the former is to support a boom when a 4-sided sail is being raised or lowered and doesn't support the gaff itself, whilst the latter is really to control the sail itself and the gaff at the top from flapping around during the raising or lowering.

Cheers Jamie, your response confirms why I need to read up on the subject, if there was an emoji for text going over my head I would have used it profusely 😁

Historic Ship Models it is.

Gary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a book by Lennart Petersen about rigging ships. Very well laid out with good pictures and descriptions that are easy to follow. I think Seaforth is the publisher.

He has written two rigging books. One for square rigged ships like the Bellerophon and one about core and aft rigging that would be found on schooners. An ideal book for 'showing you the ropes' if you will excuse the pun!

Edited by Noel Smith