My Mojo Restoring Icelandic Mustang - update 18/04/24 varnished and ready to get a bit dirty ;)

Hi all, 

With the hope of getting a more simple and swifter build under my belt before tackling a SH F-84F I have embarked on another Tamiya Mustang! Many of you have built them and so I wont labour it with repetitive posts but I will post things that are particular to this build. My subject is a post-WW2 machine that served with the Nevada ANG while detached to Iceland in 1952-53. It is the second in this row - '474482' seemingly called "Nancy". 

ANG5

So far the build has been pretty much standard fare for a Tamiya Mustang kit, particularly the flaps. This time around, though, I am using a set of Armycast resin items. Other aftermarket will be the canopy (Falcon), although if  it ends up looking wrong, as I am no good at vac form stuff, I will revert to the kit parts. Also I will use resin exhausts, PE seat belts and a Yahu IP. The cockpit needs a bit of modification to accomodate what I believe to be an ARC-3 radio set up behind the cockpit. However, while my drawings show these as fitted horizontally these seem to be vertical. My efforts are a bit of guesswork but I think it will look okay 🤞. You can see this a little better in the following image:

ANG6

Today I am at the fuselage half mating stage. The following are some build shots:

ANG1

ANG2

ANG3

The internal parts painted

ANG4

Dry fitting

I'm feeling better already! ;)

Martin

• Like 22

Nice looking subject Martin.

I'm assuming from the monochrome pics, and the fact that these were on detachment to Iceland back in the early 50's, these have some high vis red markings? Should look pretty good on an F-51!

Terry

• Like 3

Great start, Martin, and an interesting subject - as Terry's said the hi-viz markings should look fab.

Hope this is the required restorative! I've not built a Tamiya Mustang, so I'll be watching closely. 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm assuming from the monochrome pics, and the fact that these were on detachment to Iceland back in the early 50's, these have some high vis red markings? Should look pretty good on an F-51!

Terry

Thanks, Terry. Yes, mate, she’ll be an array of natural metals, Insignia Red and Insignia Blue :). Just my thing :)

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooo nice, great start, hope this helps replenish the mojo levels.

Chris

I’m sure it will, Chris 🤞

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great start, Martin, and an interesting subject - as Terry's said the hi-viz markings should look fab.

Hope this is the required restorative! I've not built a Tamiya Mustang, so I'll be watching closely. 

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks Mark. She’s been on my list of “To Do’s” for a long while. If she works out okay she will definitely be what I need ;)

2 hours ago, Bedders said:

Good decision: if in doubt, build a Mustang. And this looks like an interesting subject with the red trim. Enjoy!

Justin

Thanks, Justin. I agree, you can’t fail with a Mustang :)

Martin

• Like 5

Nice start!

I'll take a seat and learn a thing or two.

I had never heard of Yahu models before today. That IP looks sharp though I may have to order a few.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Nice start!

I'll take a seat and learn a thing or two.

I had never heard of Yahu models before today. That IP looks sharp though I may have to order a few.

Of course, mate. Grab a coffee and come along for the ride. It won’t be too eventful, though. 🤞It is my first Yahu and I am pleased so far. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 6:06 PM, Terry1954 said:

Terry

She should look like this, although she will not be the unit commander’s colours, of course.

file.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

In anticipation of the Colourcoats paints I need coming available, I have got all the bits primed now, using Mr Surfacer 1500 grey. There's nothing to do until the paint arrives other than checking round for blemishes, particularly the filled wing panel lines! If there is anything I will patch with PPP. Meanwhile I will get on with the Thunderstreak! :)

ANG7

Martin

• Like 21

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Don't know how I missed this but the scheme for the Iceland visit looks rather cool. Everything is looking good for paint. Nice one Martin.

Stuart

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see it together, scheme looks fantastic.

Chris

Thanks chaps. These Tamiya Mustangs can be put together in your sleep. Aside from a few issues and tasks (main wheel wells, canopy “sit”, fixed retracted flaps) it is a bl@@dy good kit and a perfect remedy for “build fog”. I hope the Colourcoats paint comes available soon so that I can move forward. Ironically I need the same paints for my Thunderstreaks in the F-84 STGB! I have wanted to build one of these Icelandic Mustangs for a long time. I just hope I can do the scheme justice.

Martin

• Like 4

Great progress, Martin, you're not hanging about! :) This Mustang is coming along beautifully - I hope the paints turn up soon, too, I can't wait to see this scheme!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:37 AM, 2996 Victor said:

I hope the paints turn up soon, too, I can't wait to see this scheme!

I think I have a solution ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

What, get the paints before you start :wink:.

Stuart

Nah, a package arrived today and I am now supplied with all I need for the Mustang and two F-84Fs (the Greek and the Dutchman) :), Stuart. 

• Like 2

So, with the primer checked and the few blemishes repaired (with PPP), I have got the first paint on. This is white undercoat for the Insgnia Red and Insignia Blue areas, as well as others, such as the prop tips, main door bottoms, spinner, etc. Tomorrow I hope to get the red on! So far the vac form canopy is looking good :).

ANG8

• Like 11

Today the Insignia "Arctic" Red went on :). I'm leaving the metallics until later as they are inevitably coarser than the finer matt and satin paints and could show through the coloured paint surfaces. Next will be the Insignia Blue and Zinc Chromate Yellow, followed by Silverdope (or equivelant), and then on to the main metallics, after masking off the areas the red areas for the star-and-bar, USAF, etc. The anti-glare (Black, I think at present) will be last, together with all the various odds and ends, like wheels. Before any metallics go on that go over the red areas I will give them a thinned white undercoat again to take away the colour. 

ANG9

Martin

• Like 19

• RidgeRunner changed the title to My Mojo Restoring Mustang - update 29/02/24
2 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Looking good!

I don't recall seeing a model of a mustang with "arctic" markings but this ought to be an eye-catcher.

It is true, there were very few. These had an extended period patrolling skies of Iceland. Insignia Blue, still to be applied, was the unit colour. In addition the different flights had coloured bottoms to the main wheel doors - red, blue and yellow. I have no photographic evidence of the Flight that my subject was assigned too so I will opt for yellow, I think, for a little variation. ;)

• Like 6

A day or so of fiddly masking :(. I have, at least, got the Insgnia Blue on as well as the Zince Chromate Yellow (hoping that is correct!) :) The red over run areas now need a blast of thin white to temper them prior to starting the metallics.

ANG13

Martin

• Like 14