Scanned in Norway by Airfix

LN-KEH

On 2/4/2024 at 6:04 PM, LN-KEH said:

In September 2023, Airfix researchers visited Flysamlingen at Gardermoen (at Oslo airport) for another scanning session.

Previous visits have resulted in kits like Heinkel He 111P (1:72); F-86F and Vampire Mk.III (both in 1:48).

I don`t know what aircraft they scanned - and the ones who know won`t tell.

Personally, I would really like to see a Ju 52/3m done by the current Airfix team.

On display are:

https://flysamlingen.no/utstillingen/flyene/

Rumpler Taube

Farman F.46

BE. 2f - can use parts from Airfix BE 2c

Auster J/1 Autocrat

Fairchild M-62 (PT-19 and PT-26B)

Interstate S.1A Cadet

Northrop N-3PB kitted by MPM

Noorduyn Norseman Mk.IV coming from Ukraine

Lockheed C-60A Lodestar kitted by MPM

Douglas C-47A Skytrain (Dakota) recently kitted by Airfix.

Junkers Ju 88A-1 is still undergoing restoration and not assembled.

Junkers Ju 52/3m missing a decent Ju 52/3m, the aircraft in Flysamlingen is an original German built example.

Heinkel He 111P-2 scanned and kitted by Airfix

Supermarine Spitfire PR XI - easily available to scan in England.

Piper L-18C Super Cub

SAAB 91B-2 Safir

Cessna O-1A Birddog

De Havilland Vampire F.3 scanned and kitted by Airfix

De Havilland Vampire T.55 getting kitted by Pilot Replicas 

Lockheed T-33A

Republic F-84G Thunderjet

Republic RF-84F Thunderflash

North American F-86F Sabre scanned and kitted by Airfix

North American F-86K Sabre

Canadair CF-104 Starfighter

Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter

Northrop F-5A(G) Freedom Fighter

Northrop RF-5A(G) Freedom Fighter

Northrop F-5B(G) Freedom Fighter

General Dynamics / Lockheed Martin F-16 AM

De Havilland of Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter

Lockheed C-130H Hercules also available at Cosford.

Bell 47D-1

Sikorsky H-19D-4 Chickasaw

Bell UH-1B Iroquois

Westland Lynx Mk. 86

Westland Sea King Mk.43 recently done by Airfix in 1:48 & 1:72.

From that list, these are not accessible in the UK (that I know of - Happy to be shown errors):

Rumpler Taube (Can't see the interest by Airfix)

Farman F.46 (Can't see the interest by Airfix)

BE. 2f (Can't see the interest by Airfix as most people would be happy with the variant already on sale)

Fairchild M-62 (PT-19 and PT-26B) (Can't see the interest by Airfix)

Interstate S.1A Cadet (Can't see the interest by Airfix)

Northrop N-3PB  (Can't see the interest by Airfix)

Noorduyn Norseman Mk.IV  (Can't see the interest by Airfix, but never say never)

Lockheed C-60A Lodestar (Possible as seen service in RAF)

Junkers Ju 88A-1 (Possible as seen service in Luftwaffe)

Junkers Ju 52/3m  (Possible as seen service in Luftwaffe)

Republic F-84G Thunderjet (Never produced by Airfix, but hits the Cold War era of kits produced by Airfix)

Republic RF-84F Thunderflash (Never produced by Airfix, but hits the Cold War era of kits produced by Airfix)

North American F-86K Sabre (possible - to go with previous F-86's released)

Northrop F-5A(G) Freedom Fighter (High possibility for Cold War Era and has been produced previously in 1/72)

Northrop RF-5A(G) Freedom Fighter (As above although RF never produced by Airfix other than their F-5E Tiger Eye)

Northrop F-5B(G) Freedom Fighter (As above although two seat never produced by Airfix)

General Dynamics / Lockheed Martin F-16 AM (With so may F-16's on the market, would Airfix dare to spend money here?)

De Havilland of Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter (Can't see the interest by Airfix, but never say never)

16 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Until they "discover" it was actually built by Junkers, as happened with their CASA 2.111 which suddenly became a Heinkel...!

I was under the impression that a fair few of the CASAs started life as German built airframes. Was the CASA 2.111 you were referring to the now Hawkinge aircraft? That certainly turned out to be a Heinkel built H-16 by all accounts.

7 hours ago, patjb said:

Good grief, does that mean we have 2-3 more years of people guessing what they scanned? 😂

They frequently scan subject because they have the opportunity not because they have near term plans to release a kit. Airfix has a long list of potential subjects for new kits and if they get a chance to scan something they will take it. They have scans of the Lincoln at Cosford, that doesn’t mean they are going to make a kit.

16 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It is not an arrogant assumption to know what the museum does and doesn't contain. 

There are some vehicles and ground support equipment in the hall; next to the Ju 52/3m are 37 and 88mm FLAK guns and a halftrack still in its original colours.  (1 ton Demag typ D7 Sd.Kfz. 10).  Also in the "Luftwaffe" section of the museum; a starter trolley, an oil cart and some torpedo & bombs on trolleys.
Otherwise, there was an M-113 in UN markings next to the C-130 and a "Follow me" JEEP in the RNoAF fifties display last time I visited.

According to my sources, they don`t expect the kit based on the scans to be available in the museum shop until late 2024 or in 2025.

This makes sense from what we have heard in interviews with Airfix designers - it takes a year or two from start to molding. 

1 ton Demag typ D7 Sd.Kfz. 10

Picture by Nils Mosberg - https://www.flickr.com/photos/nilsmosberg/43414163120

• Like 6

22 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

Forsvarets Flysamling Gardermoen – Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection

Still, they have ground equipment on display... 😉

5 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Still, they have ground equipment on display... 😉

They should change their name to Aircraft, Ground Equipment and Half-Track Collection, so that no equipment or vehicle is discriminated😁.

They scanned the Lincoln just for the hell of it?  That's some effort to put in, with a wide range of other options available.  Presumably they were paying for the gear and team by the day not the hour.  Or is this just another one of those stories?  Or is a Lincoln actually being considered?  Before a Manchester?  Of course, they can't scan a Manchester.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

They scanned the Lincoln just for the hell of it?  That's some effort to put in, with a wide range of other options available.  Presumably they were paying for the gear and team by the day not the hour.  Or is this just another one of those stories?  Or is a Lincoln actually being considered?  Before a Manchester?  Of course, they can't scan a Manchester.

No, not for the hell of it, my understanding was that it was part of a deal between IWM Cosford and Airfix (not sure if there was a 3rd party doing the actual scanning). I believe Cosford wanted some/most/all? airframes scanning to assist with exhibition planning, so that movements and future exhibitions could be planned virtually before exhibits were moved; and this was at a time when Airfix were interested in getting scans for specific upcoming models (Mosquito, ME410 being the ones that would seem to fit the timescale), which resulted in a mutually agreable deal for access and exchange of data.

• Like 8

I've been a proponent of a 1/72 Luftwaffe Ground Support Set for some time, the USAAF and in particular the RAF set are excellent and have been reboxed with a heavy to sell a previously released kit. GSE in the scale is less common than first appreciated IMHO- I also suggested a Cold War set for them - perfect for the V bombers...

TT

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 2:10 AM, LN-KEH said:

There are some vehicles and ground support equipment in the hall; next to the Ju 52/3m are 37 and 88mm FLAK guns and a halftrack still in its original colours.  (1 ton Demag typ D7 Sd.Kfz. 10).  Also in the "Luftwaffe" section of the museum; a starter trolley, an oil cart and some torpedo & bombs on trolleys.
Otherwise, there was an M-113 in UN markings next to the C-130 and a "Follow me" JEEP in the RNoAF fifties display last time I visited.

According to my sources, they don`t expect the kit based on the scans to be available in the museum shop until late 2024 or in 2025.

This makes sense from what we have heard in interviews with Airfix designers - it takes a year or two from start to molding. 

1 ton Demag typ D7 Sd.Kfz. 10

Picture by Nils Mosberg - https://www.flickr.com/photos/nilsmosberg/43414163120

Nice shot. I'd buy an Airfix 1/35 Demag.. 🙂

On 2/9/2024 at 4:26 AM, fightersweep said:

I was under the impression that a fair few of the CASAs started life as German built airframes. Was the CASA 2.111 you were referring to the now Hawkinge aircraft? That certainly turned out to be a Heinkel built H-16 by all accounts.

I don''t want to derail the thread but yes, that one. 👍There are differing views on the subject but that's a topic for another place!

On 09/02/2024 at 23:30, Graham Boak said:

Before a Manchester?  Of course, they can't scan a Manchester.

Actually they can. I've seen one. Can't say where it is, though, I'd have to kill you! The NDA I signed was worse than the Official Secrets Act.

• Haha 1