Scanned in Norway by Airfix

LN-KEH

33 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

i thought that the ju 52 was a restoration of a crashed ju 52

I've seen an underwater video from Norway, that Ju 52 was not crashed but abandoned on the frozen ice, and sunk when the ice melted. Perhaps someone knows if this museum aircraft is that one or another. Quite many Ju 52s were shot down in Norway, so there must have been several wrecks. 

6 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

I think Airfix have learned their lesson, they're not gonna scan something that is close, but then not totally accurate. 

Check out the Chinook thread. A HC1 on the outside whilst being a HC2 on the inside. (Sorry for thread drift).

On 2/4/2024 at 6:04 PM, LN-KEH said:

Personally, I would really like to see a Ju 52/3m done by the current Airfix team.

If they used the old cheap soft plastic, I reckon even a new Airfix kit would come an expensive second to the very crisply moulded Heller kit.  With the harder, dark grey plastic they've been using more recently (eg on the Me 410), I reckon those corrugations could look stunning.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

I found an article about the Norwegian lake Ju 52s. There were ten of them that landed on the frozen lake, and because the ice had  started to melt - it was April- they couldn't take off. The museum aircraft was recovered in 1983.

https://dykking.no/nyttig/79-nyheter/1544-for-80-ar-siden-sank-ti-tyske-fly-i-hartvikvatnet?cookie_555106e8726cad82a74a2f2ddb1af550=accepted

Edited by TheKinksFan
  • Like 1

Hi all,

As a kitchen psychologist there are possible to find certain patterns how Airfix selects their aircraft subjects for each year’s portfolio:

- British subjects: Mostly WW2, then post-war and a pre-war,

- WW1 was tested with Be-2 and Fokker Eindecker, no more models after that (failed to meet sales target?)

- A big kit,

- US subjects,

- An Axis subject,

- A mandatory Spitfire variant,

- There could be several of these criterias connected in a single subject.

So the Oslo museum list after cleaned from types possible to scan in the UK and most unlikely subjects leaves that Ju 52 as most potential subject. Their Lodestar is a lot of modified airframe, old Sabre Dog might need replacement as well as F-5, F-84x, F-104?

A surprice for this year could be a non-basic versiona of the Bf 109F. Ju-88 is really an omission from BoB portfolio. Other after mentioned two Junkerses Luftwaffe subjects in catalogue waiting for updating are Fi 156, FW 189, FW 190D (might be Ta 152?). Maybe Me 163 or He 162 as they are easily available to study. Turning Japanese :) Dinah or Ki-100? Axis could be also s Fiat G.50 or less likely Sparviero. 

Golden age I’d guess someone from Hart-family or dH Dragon Rapide. Big ones could be Ju 52 or as this year gives a Liberator more likely Halifax than B-29. Spit could be next time a Seafire if not XIV. Both Lysander and Hampden has potential – in this order.

Competitors like Academy, Hasegawa, Italeri, Revell, Tamiya might affect to subjects chosen. Smaller companies like Arma, Dora, Eduard, KP, Special Hobby not so likely.

Have fun at Margate!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

IIRC the Norwegian Ju is actually assembled from several machines but nonetheless it’s all Ju. Not sure why they’d go further to Poland to scan the former Duxford licence built version when there are plenty of genuine Jus in other museums. Fact is they have a good relationship with the Norwegian museum already having worked with them before… plus they may have scanned more than one machine… 

TT

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Golden age I’d guess someone from Hart-family or dH Dragon Rapide. 

There's already a reasonable, if fairly old, Rapide from Heller (which actually came out in an Airfix box at one stage, back in the Heller-Humbrol era), but there's never (to my knowledge, anyway) been a 1:72 kit of a DH-84 Dragon. Given the number of them that knew wind under their wings, I reckon there would be a reasonable market for a kit - 1:72 or 1:48, take your pick. I'd have several, all to get VH markings ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

i thought that the ju 52 was a restoration of a crashed ju 52, from a lake, so not totally original either for a scan 

so the spanish version maybe more accurate in some ways ? 

cheers

jerry 

4 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Probably more accurate would be AAC.1 from Duxford which was built just shortly after the war, probably from parts prepared for Ju 52 production and with some parts of original Ju 52. But this one was sold to Poland and is exhibited in Aviation Museum in Cracow now.

The one in Norway from the lake is a very correct resto and better than what I have seen before (I have flown at least two in my life D-CDLH Ju52 and HB-HOY which is a Casa 352) still place my bett on that Ju 🙃

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

6 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

i thought that the ju 52 was a restoration of a crashed ju 52, from a lake, so not totally original either for a scan 

so the spanish version maybe more accurate in some ways ? 

cheers

jerry 

This Ju 52/3m and four others were salvaged from Lake Hartviksvann - the rest are still there

Five of the eleven Ju 52/3ms bringing artillery pieces and ammunition to Dietls hard pressed force at Narvik in April 1940 were damaged landing on snow covered ice.  By siphoning off fuel from the other aircraft, one Ju 52/3m managed to take off and fly to Sweden.

The remaining aircraft stuck in the snow were attacked by Norwegian aircraft (Fokker CV and Heinkel He 115).

After Norwegian forces liberated the area, mechanics attempted to get some of the aircraft flyable, but one day RAF Hurricanes attacked the aircraft and caused further damage.  Empty barrels were tied to some of the Ju 52/3ms, so they floated around for a while after the snow and ice melted in May before they joined the rest of the aircraft in the deep.

The Ju 52/3m now at Gardermoen was salvaged in 1983 with another batch 1986, this was sponsored by a German collector.

None of these aircraft had crashed, but had damage from hard landings (undercarriage and front fuselage), Norwegian and RAF strafing as well as some parts like engines had been removed when attempting to make aircraft flyable in 1940.

So in my opinion, it is a time capsule that shows what a Luftwaffe transport Ju 52/3m looked like in 1940.

I have been fortunate enough to be allowed inside the aircraft, it was restored to a very high standard by Norwegian and German enthusiasts.

Sitting in the pilots chair and standing in the gunners position, I thought the crews must have been very vulnerable.

The aircrafts landing at Hartvikvatnet were:

CO+EI WNr. 6791(salvaged 1986). Narvik.
1Z+BY WNr.6134 (salvaged 1986). Dessau.
DB+RD WNr.6693 (salvaged 1986). Hannover.
DB+QU WNr.6654. Still in Hartvigvatnet.
DB+RB WNr.6697. Still in Hartvigvatnet.
CA+JY WNr.6657 (salvaged 1983). Gardermoen.
DB+BP WNr.6694.Uncertain!
VB+UP WNr.6821.(salvaged). Speyer.
NR+AL WNr.6054. Still in Hartvigvatnet.
SE+KC WNr.6664.(Took off again. Interned in Sweden)
DB+RC WNr.6631. Still in Hartvigvatnet.

A salvaged aircraft and DB+RB left in the lake.

hartvigvann-04.jpg

hartvigvann-15.jpg

Edited by LN-KEH
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I sincerely envy you, I only had the opportunity to be inside the aforementioned AAC.1.

Still a very good opportunity to see such a special aircraft from the inside 😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

I found an article about the Norwegian lake Ju 52s. There were ten of them that landed on the frozen lake, and because the ice had  started to melt - it was April- they couldn't take off. The museum aircraft was recovered in 1983.

https://dykking.no/nyttig/79-nyheter/1544-for-80-ar-siden-sank-ti-tyske-fly-i-hartvikvatnet?cookie_555106e8726cad82a74a2f2ddb1af550=accepted

Fascinating! Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Seahawk said:

If they used the old cheap soft plastic,

All Airfix kits are being molded in the new harder dark grey plastic. But, some of the older kits in the light grey plastic are still floating around out there. I don’t believe the cost of the plastic had anything to do with why Airfix were using the light grey softer stuff. The cost of the plastic parts themselves is a tiny fraction of the total cost of a kit. In a lot of Airfix kits, the decals are the most expensive component, apart from the cost of designing the kit and making the tooling of course.

• Like 1

If nothing else, this thread has given me a great museum to visit when we go to Norway!

On 2/7/2024 at 12:33 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Except it isn’t. It’s a CASA 352L….

Until they "discover" it was actually built by Junkers, as happened with their CASA 2.111 which suddenly became a Heinkel...!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Haha 1

Airfix are due to announce surprise releases throughout the year. The new tooled Chinook, B-24 and Bulldog are due the first half of the year. 

This is possibly one of those surprises. 

I see the Ju-52 as the most likely off that list 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 9:44 AM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Hi

only quoted 5 times i was hoping for a record   lol 

cheers

jerry 

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 5:04 AM, LN-KEH said:

Junkers Ju 88A-1 is still undergoing restoration and not assembled

I think this is the most likely subject, given Airfix have yet to complete their BoB lineup... (Just because it's not re-assembled yet, does not discount that it could be scanned-sometimes it actually makes it easier-especially gaining access interior details).

BUT! Are we so arrogant as to assume that what they scanned is an aircraft? Many museums also include support vehicles (targets) in their displays-perhaps Airfix are intending to add to their 1/35 range...??? 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thepureness said:

If the aircraft - whatever it is - is scanned in Norway sometime in Autumn of 2023, wouldn't it be too early for it to be released in 2024, as these projects take a long time. If it's a new Ju 52, I'm afraid we have to wait for a lot longer, though I would love to be wrong. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RussellE said:

Are we so arrogant as to assume that what they scanned is an aircraft? Many museums also include support vehicles (targets) in their displays-perhaps Airfix are intending to add to their 1/35 range.

It is not an arrogant assumption to know what the museum does and doesn't contain. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RussellE said:

Many museums also include support vehicles (targets) in their displays-perhaps Airfix are intending to add to their 1/35 range...??? 🤔

Forsvarets Flysamling Gardermoen – Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection

11 hours ago, thepureness said:

Airfix are due to announce surprise releases throughout the year. The new tooled Chinook, B-24 and Bulldog are due the first half of the year. 

This is possibly one of those surprises. 

Not unless they have a TARDIS, it takes 2-3 years from initial research /scanning to the kit to be ready for announcement /release. 

1 hour ago, sniperUK said:

Not unless they have a TARDIS, it takes 2-3 years from initial research /scanning to the kit to be ready for announcement /release. 

Good grief, does that mean we have 2-3 more years of people guessing what they scanned? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 9