Scanned in Norway by Airfix

LN-KEH

It has to be the Ju 52.

With "Where Eagles Dare" markings, of course!

'Broadsword to Danny Boy'... 😀

• Like 8

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Actually, apart from the simplified kits in 1/72 and 1/48 from Hobby Boss, the available kits of the short fuselage UH-1B/C are old and mostly not that great.

However, this is not so important. What is much more relevant is how many of them are currently on the market and how much they cost.

The battle between the companies is not about releasing the best possible kit for a handful of customers. The companies are beating each other up for the mass customer who can't tell the difference between the UH-1B and the C, and between them both and the F, who has no idea about blade length and so on. And he won't have that idea because he's not interested in it, instead he wants to buy the model cheaply. So if there are a lot of kits on the market and they are cheap, it is risky for economic reasons to produce a much more expensive new tool kit.

• Like 3

I'd really like a Ju-52 - Airfix's release of the Me 410 suggests they have faith in the market for Luftwaffe subjects, and based on the mouldings for that I'd be keen to see what they can do with the corrugated skin.

I'm tempted to buy an old Heller or Italeri version now just to make sure Airfix release a better one :)

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I have to commend everyone for so seriously speculating on this - and I’m betting on the Ju-52. Giving the title and rather vague premise I would have thought we’d already have at least one photoshop image of the Airfix researchers scanning something funny in Norway by now.

Edited by Fin
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Of all the kits on the list, the one that really stands out is the Ju 88A-1. Maybe in 1/48th rather than 1/72 since Revell have one in the smaller scale. As far as I can tell, there has never been an A-1 variant kitted in injection molded plastic, which is surprising since it was the variant that participated in the Battle of Britain.

Revell makes a Junkers Ju 88 A-1 in 1/32 scale.

Saluti

Giampiero

Just now, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Revell makes a Junkers Ju 88 A-1 in 1/32 scale.

Saluti

Giampiero

I know, and 1/72. But nobody makes an A-1 in 1/48th.

6 hours ago, Tbolt said:

So Airfix will scan the A-1 and just put it out as an A-4 then 😂

But since it's being restored and not assembled it's something we can rule out for now. I'd love to see them do a Ju52 in 1/72nd.

Airfix doesn’t need to scan an aircraft to do a kit.

18 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Airfix doesn’t need to scan an aircraft to do a kit.

No, as long as they have a full set of production drawings, they don't have to scan. But this thread was all about what they scanned.

• Like 3

I think the  Ju-52 is definitely the most likely of the bunch, not that I wouldn't like some of the other possibilities, as it is such an iconic aircraft and was used around the world. And for those that say Airfix mostly tool subjects with a British connection don't forget that as well as captured military aircraft pressed into service and the SAAF ones they were also used by BEA and other airlines. But lets face it Luftwaffe schemes are going to be the most popular.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanC said:

It has to be the Ju 52.

Absolutely! That's how I painted my Airfix one as a sprog..... and now cos you mentioned it...one of the most iconic opening credits in war movie history...

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

There is also another Junkers 88 under restoration in Norway, a Ju 88D-1 in Bodø if Airfix wants to do something slightly different,

https://blhf.org/sites/b/blhf.org/files/238238420.ppt

7eb2b4d83276fdea7bc1b79d02a0c9d5.jpg?res

A-4 and D-1, both most easy to pack in one and same box, were essential workhorses of the Luftwaffe against both Arctic and Mediterranean convoys, and hammering Malta and the Commonwealth troops in North Africa.

Yes, the Ju 52-3m would be nice (too) :giggle:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IanC said:

It has to be the Ju 52.

I am with you on that one given the fact what they have produced up till now to replace all those old molds!

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

And a Ju 53/3m should be possible to make several releases of:

Early Luftwaffe bomber as used in the Spanish civil war and by Luftwaffe for training as well as other nations that wanted bombers on a budget.

Military transport with a stick of fallschirmjägern to drop over Denmark, Norway, Holland and Crete.

Floatplane, both as civilian airliner as well as military transport.

Civilian airliners before and after WW2

Military use of captured Ju 52/3ms - pretty much every Allied nation flew some - the French even building them for use in their colonial wars.

It is mainly a matter of different engines, cockpit glazing with and without defensive armament and vary the undercarriage between wheels, skis and floats.

The old Heller kit is decent, the old Airfix kit has floats that can be used - but thats all.

• Like 4

I’m all for a new tool Ju 52/3M. I like the Heller kit the most, however it is in one specific configuration which really limits the aircraft that can be accurately modelled. If Airfix is going do it, I would hope it would be the first 1/72 Ju 52/3m with accurate corrugations. The Revell 1/48 Ju 52/3M is a masterpiece in my opinion, the surface details are incredible, right down to the crimping at the end of the corrugations. Heller is the best in this regard, however none of the 1/72 kits have proper corrugations, they are akin to half round stock with flat spacing in between.

Last year I looked into what could be made accurately with the Heller kit as is, not a lot is what I discovered. When I was researching this, I came across this valuable thread here on BM, which says a lot about why a new tool Ju 52/3M in 1/72 would be nice to have. Although the thread is now 12 years old, it still applies, as there hasn’t been anything new since. Fingers crossed. BTW I have an old Airfix hanging from my ceiling and a Heller one in the queue for the 2025 Heller GB. Also a huge fan of Where Eagles Dare…Smith…thud thud. 😏

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 4

12 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

something different, maybe a  PT-19, norseman or lodestar

All of these would be most welcome in 1/72, but DoraWings has a lock on the Norseman and Special Hobby will reissue the Lodestar "at some point," so my vote is on the JU-52 3M, even though I'm not thrilled by the real aircraft.  It would, however, make sense for the market.

• Like 2

It would be disturbing if it is not the Ju 52... Such an important subject with lots of different configurations and liveries. I am still puzzled that Revell has never scaled the 1:48 kit down in all these years :shrug:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Except it isn’t. It’s a CASA 352L….

I think Airfix have learned their lesson, they're not gonna scan something that is close, but then not totally accurate. 

• Like 3

Hi

i thought that the ju 52 was a restoration of a crashed ju 52, from a lake, so not totally original either for a scan 

so the spanish version maybe more accurate in some ways ? 

cheers

jerry 

1 minute ago, brewerjerry said:

so the spanish version maybe more accurate in some ways ?

Probably more accurate would be AAC.1 from Duxford which was built just shortly after the war, probably from parts prepared for Ju 52 production and with some parts of original Ju 52. But this one was sold to Poland and is exhibited in Aviation Museum in Cracow now.

• Like 1