Hawker Hurricane IIc - F171/F.188 - Novo 78104

Troy Smith

One a never did in my youth.

I have a couple of Frog, a sealed box and bagged one, but got a decal less Novo one via ebay as builder

at @Adrian Hills  suggestion

53506539260_66ebde65bf_b.jpg20240203_141337 by losethekibble, on Flickr

53506115126_d5e7d3d454_b.jpg20240203_141602 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Had a test fit, and I even stuck it on the Bentley plans.   Not the worst Hurricane kit ever.

Been a bit mojoless recently,  and it's really not worth trying to upgrade so will be OOB, may blank the wheel well to avoid see through. 

On quirk is the way they show the internal wood frames on the rear fuselage as vertical lines.   

I suspect they used the plans in Aircraft of the Fighting Powers,  I'll have a look later.

And be a good tester for some paint mixes I did a while back...  

I have a part Aeromaster Foreign Hurricanes sheet with an Irish Air Corps Mk,I, 105

The main markings are the same so I should be able to make up one of these

_123975065_airhurricanes.png

I have seen it suggest the IAC planes had upper in Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey though, but photos, online at least are scare.

the other well known pic is of Mk.I's

Hawker-Hurricane-I-Irish-AF-line-up-01.j

Hopefully a simple fast build and an interesting paint scheme.

Thanks for reading

T

• Like 21

Great stuff Troy

And impeccable timing given the Irish result in the 6 nations rugby yesterday.

Can't recall ever having seen an Irish Hurricane before so delighted it has joined the GB.

It looks ideal as a mojo restorer :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to see another new build nomination, I was starting to think these were drying up a little. 

I hear you know a little bit about Hurricanes Troy, so I’ll be keen to see what your overall thoughts are about this kit once you get stuck into it.

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 6:38 PM, Troy Smith said:

One a never did in my youth.

I have a couple of Frog, a sealed box and bagged one, but got a decal less Novo one via ebay as builder

at @Adrian Hills  suggestion

53506539260_66ebde65bf_b.jpg20240203_141337 by losethekibble, on Flickr

53506115126_d5e7d3d454_b.jpg20240203_141602 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Had a test fit, and I even stuck it on the Bentley plans.   Not the worst Hurricane kit ever.

Been a bit mojoless recently,  and it's really not worth trying to upgrade so will be OOB, may blank the wheel well to avoid see through. 

On quirk is the way they show the internal wood frames on the rear fuselage as vertical lines.   

I suspect they used the plans in Aircraft of the Fighting Powers,  I'll have a look later.

And be a good tester for some paint mixes I did a while back...  

I have a part Aeromaster Foreign Hurricanes sheet with an Irish Air Corps Mk,I, 105

The main markings are the same so I should be able to make up one of these

_123975065_airhurricanes.png

I have seen it suggest the IAC planes had upper in Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey though, but photos, online at least are scare.

the other well known pic is of Mk.I's

Hawker-Hurricane-I-Irish-AF-line-up-01.j

Hopefully a simple fast build and an interesting paint scheme.

Thanks for reading

T

Brilliant Troy. An Irish Hurricane- very attractive roundels. Remember to be like Magnus Magnusson 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet another FROG kit I've never actually seen in the plastic, as it were. 

Following with much interest. 

Let me check but I may have at least some of the Scale Aircraft Modelling decal sheet if you need additional roundels or numbers. 

John 

On 04/02/2024 at 03:44, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ll be keen to see what your overall thoughts are about this kit once you get stuck into it.

Even in it's Novo form, it fits very crisply.  Just a little clean up to get parts to bed. 

On 03/02/2024 at 19:41, JOCKNEY said:

It looks ideal as a mojo restorer

hope so.  

On 04/02/2024 at 18:58, Adrian Hills said:

Remember to be like Magnus Magnusson

IREland not ICEland....   not sure what that means....  I'm not Icelandic or dead... yet. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Magnusson

On 05/02/2024 at 21:09, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Excited to watch this.

Thank you.... not sure how exciting it will be.

4 hours ago, John said:

Yet another FROG kit I've never actually seen in the plastic, as it were. 

Following with much interest. 

Let me check but I may have at least some of the Scale Aircraft Modelling decal sheet if you need additional roundels or numbers. 

Thank you.  Roundels should be fine, but numbers may help.  Was that one of the sheets that came stapled into the magazine?

I saw some Max Decals sheets, which oddly I thought didn't just have a selection of numbers.

Well, as to what it's like shape wise, it's not too bad

53513776173_bf4c3c78cb_b.jpgFrog over Bentley and AOTFP by losethekibble, on Flickr

left is the Bentley plans, right is from Aircraft of the Fighting Powers, which was published in WW2,  this courtesy of @Paul J

It's a fraction short in the rear fuselage and wing tips, and like most vintage Hurricane kits, narrow above the nose.

One oddity is they have done the internal rear fuselage frames as vertical lines,  as per AOTFP drawing, which is why I checked it.

It is basically a IIc, cannon wing, Mk.II nose.  The UC is very simplified, and it would be a near full rebuild to make a really decent Hurricane, any Hurricane kit that gets the fabric wrong is going to have that problem though,  but I think even OOB it will look OK from a couple of feet...  we'll see.

While it's very much of it's era, mid 60's,  it also has a neat feature in that it has the Sea Hurricane cut out, (which does not work very well as it has not real location point) I think it's the first kit do offer a Sea Hurricane option plus option for bombs and rocket plates.  I need to check if pre dates the Monogram kit, I think it does.

if I had the codes I could have done one of the 760 Sq Hurricanes in a deck tangle on HMS Ravager with rocket plates fitted, or the other Sea Hurricane I have seen with them. 

So I put my unfinished Airfix Churchill tank away, which has been not really inspiring me,  but is nearly done, to clear a bit of space.

dug out some paint, these are all custom mixes, the grey green ended up with bits of about 6 Vallejo colours in it, but is as a dead on visual match to the RAF Museum MAP chips as I could get, as are the Tamiya Med Sea Grey and Ocean Grey. (these I did note the mix ration down properly)

53512714562_4f7f04c879_b.jpg20240206_202232 by losethekibble, on Flickr

The Irish AC IIc's were all very late builds, so AFAIK are grey green internally, with Med Sea Grey wheel wells. 

the classic Frog pilot, skinny body big head, got  a coat of Vallejo Light Flesh.

I'm aiming for a basic OOB, one thing I did do was add little bits of Evergreen square stock to act as a support for the fuselage insert. I actually added the Evergreen with a dot of MEK and then eyeballed the insert and then did the other side. 

The cockpit is really cloudy so lack of internals is really not going to be an issue. 

Inevitably I did mess about a bit. 

53512714557_545165dbca_b.jpg20240206_212236 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I probably should have just gone for  a brass rod and tube shaft, as it was I have a push fit to plastic tube, bodged into place with scrap plastic and superglue with nail powder.  It is likely it would have been quicker to have done a better job, and the prop would spin too...

I also shimmed the seat up so it is at the bulkhead angle.    You can see the rear fuselage insert in place here as well.  

Not pictures is a bit more paint on pilot,  and as I did a yellow lifejacket, I did the prop tips.  I did thin the blades down a bit as well, making the back flatter for more of an aerofoil shape.  And opened rear of radiator, as was a solid face.

And fuselage is glued together and clamped with pegs and is setting.

Also had a look at the 5 part wing,  which fits together beautifully, very precise and the right flat centre and dihedral outer panels.

Not sure to add upper wings to fuselage and then the lower,  I'll see how a dry fit goes, plus I'll add a simple plastic card blank plate.

I have plugged the rocket plate holes with some stretched sprue, though the kit plastic didn't really like heat,  being a bit fibrous.  It's also quite brittle.

Hopefully the rest of the airframe assembly should be the next step and then onto paint....

Thanks for reading and commenting.

• Like 17

Thanks for the informative post Troy and glad to read this old Frog kits is not a write off as far as accuracy goes. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

glad to read this old Frog kits is not a write off as far as accuracy goes. 

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It looks surprisingly accurate.

this is all relative.  It's one of the better nostalgia kits, and does have some good features,  but the fabric area is a bit of a disaster. 

There are better vintage kits to start with,  the two best would be the Heller IIC and the 1978 Airfix Mk.I,  though I think the ugly duckling of the vintage ones may the 1973 Airfix Mk.I/IIB kit....  but I maybe wrong on that front.  

But the fit has been excellent,  I test fitted a tail plane and it was good, just the right tolerance, and the 5 piece wing fits together very well, even if you meddle...     

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

do you like Hurricane's then?

dreadful lumbering things, tired old puffers the Germans called  them...Spitfires, Now that what you want.... :rofl2:

Anyway, I got distracted by messing about,  I think as I've not done any meddling, and I quite like a meddle...  This was meant to be OOB...

I went for a blanking plate of 10 thou, as it was just a gaping void,  then added upper wings with tiny SG dots, added a back and front to the wheel well....  I didn't do pics as I was by this point talking on the phone to the daughter about various issues re school,  and this went on and I carried on meddling while talking, and not also trying to take photos...

in the end snapping wings off to  and cutting out the sections of wing cutting through the well, and adding 10 thou card well sides, and getting them to fit...  I'll leave it like this, as really it's a waste if time,  though it gave me some ideas about doing this on other projects,   I recall there is a classic Airfix GB in the summer. (eg the two mentioned above) 

Anyway, it's not just a gaping void,  but I should of stuck with the blank plate rather than a couple of hours fiddling around.

53514910347_cc007cb3fc_b.jpg2024-02-08_01-34-48 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I didn't align the fuselage halves as well as I could have, and there was a little step, which I used SG with nail powder sprinkled on, I also used this under the nose, and with SG on a needle, added a tiny amount to the rear fuselage insert gap and sprinkled some powder on.

I did also fix the wings with some MEK. 

The whole business took ages, but was pleasant to be in that 'flow' state https://positivepsychology.com/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi-father-of-flow/  where I had nothing more pressing than getting some food.   Eventually hunger started to distract me. 

I almost glued the outer wing on, but now am thinking it will be worth see if some backing cannon barrel positioning later will help.

Very impressed at the upper wing to fuselage fit, very neat join line, even after breaking it off and other indignities visited upon it...

I didn't get round to trying some of audio books I got on CD cheap from a charity shop in town....  most of them round here are getting pricey,   but one has a 50p CD shelf and I have been picking up various things,   and thought audio book maybe a change from music,  the radio is not happy, likely as my dormer windows are covered in lead sheet...

• Like 17

Found the cannons didn't need backing. 

Tried '39 Steps' audio book narrated by James Fox which did what I required it to do, which was be mildly entertaining but not too distracting.

53516985910_4cdfc5c877_b.jpg20240208_041622 by losethekibble, on Flickr

added outer wings, added sprue goo to the joints in wells and one fuselage.

assembled UC legs, cracking one in process, added sprue goo to the holes.

assembled tailplanes.

Still having mental conflict about adding UC well detail.....  

Thanks for reading.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

If it makes you happy then add it! The boxing in looks good.

Another time,  the boxing in exercise has  has been enough.  Really should have stuck with the blanking plate, but always good to exercise the skills...

so, plain grey it is..

53516740956_7fc68006c4_b.jpg2024-02-08_03-38-20 by losethekibble, on Flickr

also visible, part painted pilot,  prop black done,  wheels with flat added and some Rubber Black,  seams cleaned up and centre section on.

Cropped out of photos, UC doors/legs  done in MSG.

Annoyed I didn't remember to check fuselage halves alignment, as I recall it being better than it was, as in no slight step.

Centre section glued with a very thin smear of tube glue, then pegged, then some capillary MEK to finalise joint.  

Messed about with radiator, and repaired a couple of chips due to brittle plastic using SG and acrylic nail powder.

Add SG, sprinkle or dip in nail powder,  which will then dissolve into the SG, smoothing off as it goes, but is also workable,  I chipped the back corner off the rad and rebuilt it, and as was then able to mould the pointed corner roughly.   Sets in about 10 min.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 16

I suspect the "Remember to be like Magnus Magnusson"  quote intended was "I've started so I'll finish" when chairing Mastermind.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've located a complete Scale Aircraft Modelling Irish Air Corps decal sheet languishing in the decal box. Let me know if you need anything. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Love this. Inherently interested but  also shamelessly watching for the useful tips and tricks for mine.

That’s what’s great about these WIP threads. It’s amazing how differently we all go about our modelling and if we can pick up some new techniques along the way, then that’s a bones. 

• Like 3

Primer coat of Medium Sea Grey,  this is a custom Tamiya mix.

53526208320_ee686f355b_b.jpg20240212_111622 by losethekibble, on Flickr

poor photo,  but showed up a variety of faults which are being addressed...

and the uppers with a primer of Ocean Grey, again a custom Tamiya mix.   

53526091009_ca42a4cc44_b.jpg20240212_131927 by losethekibble, on Flickr

On 11/02/2024 at 05:53, ModelingEdmontonian said:

watching for the useful tips and tricks for mine

the landing lights don't fit well.

I did the recess in Grey Green, added a dot of silver on the back of the clear parts,  and then superglued in, and then fiddled about some they were  recessed, so levered out so slightly proud of leading edge, 

Gaps filled with more SG, and the sanded and buffed to shape, and coat of Kleer.  And slightly out of focus photo.... :fraidnot:

need to add control surfaces and redo paint.  And find a Dark Green I like.  And do a Kleer dip on the canopy which really is poor...

• Like 12

To be honest Troy. I don’t know too many kits where the landing lights / wingtip lights fit well after painting. I now tend to install them during the build and mask off before painting. They usually require a sand and polish to blend in, so best to do that before any top coat paint gets applied (and subsequently) ruined. 

A good Dark Green?? My favourite is Tamiya XF-81, however AK Real Colour is also quite nice. You will also be pleased with Humbrol 116 but like any two colour combo, both colours need to complement each other otherwise both will look wrong. You only have to look a FB and I’m sure within minutes you’ll find an Apple Green /  Chocolate  Brown Spitfire Mk.1 that will receive a load of ‘well done / looks beautiful’ comments! 

Hurri looks great mate. 
Cheers… Dave 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

They usually require a sand and polish to blend in, so best to do that before any top coat paint gets applied (and subsequently) ruined. 

There was some Kleer round the lights,  the grey was to prime and show up blemishes, and see how it looked as well.

A good Dark Green?? My favourite is Tamiya XF-81, however AK Real Colour is also quite nice. You will also be pleased with Humbrol 116 but like any two colour combo, both colours need to complement each other otherwise both will look wrong.

The Ocean Grey is my mix, matched to the RAF museum chip.  Maybe too dark for scale.    IIRC XF-81 is a bit brown, and an AK I have is forest green....

I'll do some test when we get a bit of sunlight, I recall a Vallejo green as being close to the chip as well.

Part of the reason for this build was to test out these mixes.

the Ocean Grey is Tamiya XF-82, plus some white and dash of yellow,  to give that subtle greenness that Ocean Grey has... I have a note of the mix somewhere.

5 hours ago, Beard said:

They're something I always mess-up or lose (so end up using Sellotape).

a very reasonable solution!

You only have to look a FB and I’m sure within minutes you’ll find an Apple Green /  Chocolate  Brown Spitfire Mk.1 that will receive a load of ‘well done / looks beautiful’ comments! 

I see Hurricane models that make me wince. 

My FB engagement is limited and specific,  though I got accused of being a troll on a Hurricane model group for posting information politely about Hawker Hurricanes and Hurricane models.... :shrug: 

I think he then blocked me... 

Always makes me appreciate how BM is a rare oasis of pleasant helpful and friendly members compared to vast swathes of the internet.  Which is why I spend more time here than there...

cheers

T

• Like 8