1/35 “V for Victory” El Alamein - Diorama

Hi guys,

Over 10 months, I built these vehicles for a diorama about El Alamein based on a well-known photo which fascinated me. A big project with a lot of variety and challenges including making two Academy Honeys look different. Stug III is from Dragon with PE set added. Dingo is Miniart, 10HP is Tamiya, Panzer III is RFM Full interior. Hope you find these of interest.

Edit - Added full diorama scene. 

spacer.png

Common 'V for victory' hand gesture for British troops throughout war

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full scene until I figure out more about GIMP

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stug III Ausf D Sonderverband 288

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Two Honeys

No 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

No 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Daimler Dingo

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

10HP for AFPU

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Panzer III

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by nimrod484
Evidence of palm-in V sign in use
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 5

That looks very impressive and a huge amount of work! Amazing level of detail in general and the figures look really good. Do you maybe also have some pictures of the overall diorama, that would give a nice impression about the total size of the project, would love to see that. Or is that going to be in the Diorama section? Thanks!

Tremendous work here. The detailing, weathering and stowage is awesome, particularly the fire-damaged Pz III.

An overall pic would be good if there's one available?

That's a very elaborate scenery. Some great modelling combined in a creative dio - a real work of patience and love of detail!

Wow!  Fantastic work and lots of detail to take in.  The wear and weathering effects are superb 👌 

The fella on the Dingo made me smile with his gesture!   

I'd like to see pics of the full dio too .... hopefully you can oblige! 

Keith 😁 

• nimrod484 changed the title to 1/35 “V for Victory” El Alamein - Diorama
On 03/02/2024 at 12:59, Clashcityrocker said:

Vehicles and figures all done excellently. Nicely composed scene also. Love all the elements of this.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. Composition strained my brain for sure.

On 03/02/2024 at 17:42, Davi said:

That looks very impressive and a huge amount of work! Amazing level of detail in general and the figures look really good. Do you maybe also have some pictures of the overall diorama, that would give a nice impression about the total size of the project, would love to see that. Or is that going to be in the Diorama section? Thanks!

Thanks Davi. Struggling with the size of the diorama and how to photograph it in full including lighting. I posted a couple of rough pictures while I work this out.

• Thanks 1

On 03/02/2024 at 23:35, Ozzy said:

nice build, where did you get the cooking set from on the tailgate?

Thanks Ozzy. Mix of bits from Diopark cooking set, which is hard to come buy, Miniart kitchen set, and stove from Dragon DAK kit.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2024 at 23:37, echen said:

Tremendous work here. The detailing, weathering and stowage is awesome, particularly the fire-damaged Pz III.

An overall pic would be good if there's one available?

Thanks echen. Added a couple of rough photos to the thread. Still toying with the full scene photos. Not a skilled model photographer…

On 04/02/2024 at 03:34, Toryu said:

That's a very elaborate scenery. Some great modelling combined in a creative dio - a real work of patience and love of detail!

Thanks Toryu. Certainly challenged my patience doing the photoetch on the vehicles and also the rope for canvas top on car. 

12 hours ago, Keeff said:

Wow!  Fantastic work and lots of detail to take in.  The wear and weathering effects are superb 👌 

The fella on the Dingo made me smile with his gesture!   

I'd like to see pics of the full dio too .... hopefully you can oblige! 

Keith 😁 

Thanks Keith. Some rough photos added.
Yeah, was trying to figure out how the convoy would react to the camera and saw wartime film of a Brit do the V sign so used that idea. 
There is actual film of the two destroyed German vehicles with Honeys trundling by, so that was the inspiration for the AFPU idea. The film crew actually set fire to the Panzer III for effect it seems, by pouring fuel on it. Hence the burnt effect withou any other damage. Both vehicles apparently ran out of fuel. The Stug III shown has an interesting story, too.

• Like 1

Wow...thats a real masterpiece of kit and set construction!!! Magnificent details like the tailgate brewup and general battlefield litter. The KO Mk III is spectacular. Very well done indeed!!

Cheers...Rich 

• Like 1

Brilliant work Nimrod this is a hell of a scene. Every detail from weathering to stowage to groundwork to uniform insignia is finished to perfection.

Your figure painting is excellent and I absolutely love the dust layers on the Stug. Very impressive.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 04:56, Gordon J said:

Brilliant work Nimrod this is a hell of a scene. Every detail from weathering to stowage to groundwork to uniform insignia is finished to perfection.

Your figure painting is excellent and I absolutely love the dust layers on the Stug. Very impressive.

Cheers. Appreciate your comments. 

Wwwhatt how did I miss this one!! Incredible! Just yeah…. Incredible. The amount of work here and all excellent. I’d say all this in 10month is quick going, especially including some of the hard kits. The figures, as always, are top notch and the burnout effects on the pz iii is brilliant, so authentic. The details are so cleanly presented, love the back of the 10hp. Great inspiration that I want to keep looking over. 
paul 

Edited by Muchmirth

19 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Wwwhatt how did I miss this one!! Incredible! Just yeah…. Incredible. The amount of work here and all excellent. I’d say all this in 10month is quick going, especially including some of the hard kits. The figures, as always, are top notch and the burnout effects on the pz iii is brilliant, so authentic. The details are so cleanly presented, love the back of the 10hp. Great inspiration that I want to keep looking over. 
paul 

Hi paul,

thanks for your nice words. A challenging build across many aspects. Yeah, the German AFVs were difficult to build along with the PE but it was good practice! The two honeys are average and need to improve my weathering skills. A smaller diorama next time. Look forward to seeing your next one.

jeremy

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 20:36, Chaz Gordon said:

Looks awesome, nice work.

Thanks a lot. 

On 20/02/2024 at 20:02, Model Mate said:

Excellent diorama, with lots to see and great weathering - brilliant

Thanks very much.

Lovely work, and very evocative!

The V sign being given by the British Officers is not a victory sign though, that would be with palm facing outward. The sign they are giving is the same as the American stiff middle finger!

Ian

19 hours ago, Brandy said:

Lovely work, and very evocative!

The V sign being given by the British Officers is not a victory sign though, that would be with palm facing outward. The sign they are giving is the same as the American stiff middle finger!

Ian

Thanks, Ian. Here you go. 
https://www.iwm.org.uk/blog/research/2017/05/v-for-victory

It could be used palm in. I have seen a smiling soldier on YouTube sitting on a tank in Europe also using palm in to the camera and so on. Naturally, I researched this.

I have multiple examples of screen shots from Pathe News showing the palm -in V-sign by British troops to the camera in convoys and victory parades and very few of the palm—out from the same source. IThe palm-in V-sign was clearly used by British troops in various theatres from 1942 to 1945. When I return from my trip, I will post the examples from Pathe News.

Edited by nimrod484