I am a very troubled person and need help - another one! Heller 1/72nd F-84G

Well, it was bound to happen... I might as well own up to it.  :) 

I may have mentioned that I usually serially paint a number of models, since I have the airbrush set up and loaded anyway. I could not resist this oldie but goodie: 

20240129-175609.jpg

Yes, it's an old Heller F-84G. Who could resist her Gallic charms! Well, I could not, obviously. 

Since this one will be built with a closed cockpit I did not bother to mgo overboard with the cockpit detailing - just some vague (dare I say, Nouvelle Vague?) dots with a black fineliner on the interior green bits and chrome pen on the black dashboard: 

20240129-180510.jpg

Being an older and simpler kit, I was inspired by the "I used to be able to do 25 % of a build in a single evening when I was a kid" somewhere in this groupbuild and soon was at this stage: 

20240131-191151.jpg

Yes, there really is an aircraft model somewhere under all those clamps. And I have proof, your honour!:

20240131-204712.jpg 

Sometimes it's just fun to slap together a kit oldschool, eh? 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Klaasdebouwer said:

I just went out to grab a cup of tea, I come back and yet another F-84 is all but finished. It's your evil twin doing this, isn't it? 

Actually, I am the evil twin!, the good one is safely locked away in the basement. 😇

7 hours ago, Klaasdebouwer said:

Looking good btw. :goodjob:

Thanks!

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 3

It's alright Andre, you've come to the right place, you're amongst friends here.

That's a rapid start, well done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

It's alright Andre, you've come to the right place, you're amongst friends here.

I never looked back since 2014.  :) 

2 hours ago, Wez said:

That's a rapid start, well done.

Thanks! I found it very relaxing actually to just slap an older kit together. 

Now, a smal dilemma - should I fit the quite simplified Heller seat for nostalgia reasons or should I replace it with a mich better detailed and shapewise more accurate Special Hobby spare..? 

I'm leaning ever so slightly towards option #1. What do you lot think? 

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

5 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm leaning ever so slightly towards option #1. What do you lot think? 

Le Français?  Mais oui!

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:38 PM, Wez said:

Le Français?  Mais oui!

Zut alors! Allright, le seat du boum it is.

Although a nostalgia build, we do have a certain Britmodeller standard to maintain. I had some seams horrible around her nose and wing roots large enough ton drive a 1/72nd Citroën 2CV through, out with the putty: 

20240203-154136.jpg

Drying as we speak*!

Cheers,

Andre 

*: Well, type, but you lot o' miscreants get the idea. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hit a slight snag with all my three Thunderjets - the weather yesterday (in sharp contrast with today, where it has been raining continuously so far) looked allright for some garden airbrushing. I sprayed some primer on my Thundertrio which went on fine - from top to bottom Academy recce F-84E, Academy F-84G and Heller F-84G: 

20240217-153046.jpg

However, after letting this dry, the weather turned and I could feel the air getting more moist. The Vallejo Aluminium which went on all right on some other builds pooled a bit and the finish was uneven, so out with the soft cloth: 

20240217-163722.jpg

Hopefully the weather will permit me to do a rematch next weekend. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/3/2024 at 9:37 PM, LorenSharp said:

Nice paint job Andre Looks Great!

Thanks! 

I wasn't satisfied with my first attempt, so after some sanding / polishing I applied a first quick mist of Aluminium, with more to follow:  

20240408-194004.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

On 4/8/2024 at 8:23 PM, Hook said:

first quick mist of Aluminium, with more to follow

Which has gotten us here: 

20240414-150623.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

Some weathering with oil paints and the first few decals applied yesterday, as well as some masking for the antiglare: 

20240421-120406.jpg

And Olive Drab antiglare applied today!:

20240421-191241.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Here she is as of now - I chose the SAC decal option from the Tamita kit, since I don't believe we had a SAC bird yet:

20240501-205945.jpg

I do have an inkling as to why this is the least popular option in the Tamiya, the entire side markings are one long decal.

Which is a b.... well, let's say "bear" to apply. Of course, the Heller kit is dimensionally / proportionally dissimilar from the Tamiya kit. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 7

On 01/05/2024 at 22:28, Hook said:

Which is a b.... well, let's say "bear" to apply. Of course, the Heller kit is dimensionally / proportionally dissimilar from the Tamiya kit.

I cut those two decals in three pieces each as I was applying it to native Tamiya kit. And even smaller "sets" of stencils did not apply exactly to where they should be. 

Another oddity is that while Tamiya provided one nice big set of stencils for mid-fuselage, they largely (not entirely) ignored stencils on the front and rear fuselage as well as on the wings. On the low wing surface there should be more stencils...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alllllmost there, but almost doesn't count - this one did not make the deadline, alas. I did not manage to add the landing gear and a few decals in time. 

20240513-212055.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4