Douglas DC-8-51 Lufthansa. 1/144 Minicraft conversion & Draw Decals

Douglas DC-8-51 Lufthansa. 

1/144 Minicraft & Draw Decal

DC8-1.JPG

I've had a couple of the Minicraft bagged kits of the DC-8 in the stash since they were released a few years ago. I also bought a set of the BRAZ  Pratt & Whitney JT3D  resin engines to convert one of them into the short body 51 series of the aircraft. Learning that X-Scale plan to release their own kit of a series 51 DC-8 later this year, I thought I'd better get a move on and build mine, or I'd never get around to it once the new kit is out.

I also had a set of Lufthansa decals for the DC-8-51 which had intrigued me, as I had never heard of them operating this version of the aircraft. It turned out that in 1965 they leased one from Trans International Airlines in the US, painted in full Lufthansa colours. They only leased if for 6 months and the aircraft was N8008D, the first DC-8 built. 

The Minicraft series DC-8-61 kit is very nice, but I has to shorten the fuselage by 1.54 inches fore and aft of the wing to convert it from a 61 to a 51 version, and also replace the kit engines with the resin JT3D's (which fitted very well).  The Draw Decals were a pleasure to use, but printed on constant film so that you have to cut around each subject individually. They work superbly, and I'm pleased with the result. This was also the first Minicraft DC-8 I've had that didn't suffer from the outer wing 'droop' that some kits seem to suffer from, where the outer section is warped downwards. 

DC8-2.JPG

DC8-3.JPG

DC8-4.JPG

DC8-5.JPG

DC8-6.JPG

DC8-7.JPG

One thing led to another, and I had a Classicairlines.com decals sheet for the early scheme worn by the 727-130, which I just had to make as an accompaniment to the DC-8! Out came one of my dwindling supplies of Airfix 727-100's a Daco clear cockpit section, and before I knew it, I had a pair of Lufthansa airliners c1964. There is a bit of a disparity in the blue colours though, the  DC-8  being noticeably darker that the 727. Oh well, can't do anything about that!

DC8-8.JPG

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

The DC-8 looks brilliant John, as does the 727, a super looking pair. I've a bagged DC-8 kit too which will need similar surgery come the day to produce an AirNZ one, I can but hope it turns out as well as yours. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Hi John,

Wow that's awesome!

I have a couple of Minicraft DC8s in my stash which I really need to build and this makes me want to right now!

What did you use for the natural metal finish?

Would've looked great with AA windows but I guess the Draw decals sheet had the windows already printed on the cheat lines.

I'm no expert, and definitely can't remember the old Lufthansa livery, but I would say that Draw decals have the correct shade of blue. The 727 looks too light to me.

Strange to see an old Lufthansa aircraft without the big black radome!

Cheers,

Ian 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated as always!

10 hours ago, Turbofan said:

What did you use for the natural metal finish?

I'm no expert, and definitely can't remember the old Lufthansa livery, but I would say that Draw decals have the correct shade of blue. The 727 looks too light to me.

5 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Superb work on both, but I must say the blue on the 727 is much too light.

Ian, the silver is MRP 'Super Silver' over an undercoat of Tamiya black.

Ian and Ad-4N, thanks for your thoughts on the blue,  the difference in the shade between the two models is intriguing (not to say annoying!)  but actually I think the 727 is the closer of the two. The early scheme used a much lighter blue than the scheme that replaced it with the overall blue tailplane. 

See here a 727 in the early scheme.

And here in the later scheme that replaced it. 

The early blue is much lighter.

The DC-8 N8008D was a bit camera shy in Lufthansa colours, not surprising seeing as it was only in service for 6 months, But see here how light the blue is

My thoughts are that the Draw scheme is maybe a little darker than it should be!  

Cheers

John

Wonderful as always John. Anything that says "Lufthansa" and has a blue stripe gets a like from me! N8088D looks so cool and elegant in that livery.

You were lucky with your kit's wings. I  have four in my stash and all have the drooping wings. I know from previous experience that it's fixable but it's a fraught process with a high risk of messing up.

I'm with the majority on the colour of the blue. The 727 definitely looks a bit light although I seem to remember that the decommissioned 707 which sat outside Berlin Tegel for years had faded to something similar.

Dave G

• Like 2

On 01/02/2024 at 08:42, Viking said:

Ian and Ad-4N, thanks for your thoughts on the blue,  the difference in the shade between the two models is intriguing (not to say annoying!)  but actually I think the 727 is the closer of the two. The early scheme used a much lighter blue than the scheme that replaced it with the overall blue tailplane. 

See here a 727 in the early scheme.

Respectfully, we may never know the truth of Lufthansa 727 delivery blue.

I think your photo of the of the "light blue" is misleading because of the bright sunshine.  Here is a photo of the delivery 727 in the same scheme with a decidedly darker blue, closer to your DC-8.  Now is it because it is more overcast or is it really delivered in a darker blue.  My bet is on the latter.  However, that takes nothing away from your masterful depiction of the 727.  😄  You did a fantastic job. 

Edited by Julien
NO airliners.net images

6 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Respectfully, we may never know the truth of Lufthansa 727 delivery blue.

I have to agree with you there Ad-4N!

I do think that neither the DC-8 or 727 model has it exactly right, and in fact sitting on my shelf they don't look as far apart as they do in my photos above, which were taken in bright sunlight. I may post a separate RFI for the 727 at the weekend, but in the meantime here is another shot of it at the tail end. I've got a Revell Super Connie in the stash somewhere, with these markings. I'll dig it out and see how the decals compare. We'll probably have a 3rd shade of blue!

727-6.JPG

I appreciate your comments and enjoy the exchange of thoughts on this subject. 👍

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I love it John!

The Minicraft DC-8 is still a very good kit, and early feedback seems to indicate its an easier build than the X-Scale one (mainly because of their approach to catering for different powerplants).

The Daco nose piece really helps a lot with that 727, too. As you may know, i'm in a slow motion, death cage match with a Revell 727, in hopes to bring it up to contemporary standards. Its had its share of twists and turns (BTW- the new LACI JT-8D-7B engine for the Airfix koit are very nice).

Keep on keeping on!!

Hi John,

Wonderful build of a classic Douglas airliner.

Looks splendid in Lufthansa livery.

I have the same decals in my stash since years, together with an AA DC-8 kit...still waiting for its turn on my very long production line...😉😊

Thanks for sharing

Alex