1/24 Italeri Porsche 935/77

Hi all,

When used to Tamiya kits, doing this Italeri kit was a bit of change in terms of quality. I was aware that some additional work would be required to make it look like I desired, but in the end it was more work than expected. Biggest change with most impact is the metal axles I used to prevent the wheels flexing in every direction due to very weak plastic axles and add spacers in the front and rear to correct the ridiculously far inside positioned wheels compared to the real car. Ride height seemed ok to me, so didn't change that.

And while doing some research on the original, it also appeared that while the box says it is the Baby, it actually looks more like the non-Baby, so that is what I went for with adding some details like the mesh in the front bumper and behind the front wheels, radiators in the side vents, adding the fog light on the back and a roof antenna. I also made wholes in the front cover so the tank fillers are actually 'separated' from the hood an opened some air intakes.

The car is painted in TS26 Pure White. As an experiment I used TS79 Semi Gloss Finish to try to get to a more periode correct shine, although I'm not sure if I would have like a gloss finish better in the end. Wheels are in TS29 Semi Gloss Black and TS79 Semi Gloss Finish.

There are some details that are not as crisp and clean as I was aiming for, but with all the adaptations I made it was a good learning experience.

Thanks for looking!

Porsche 935/77 06

Porsche 935/77 05

Porsche 935/77 07

Porsche 935/77 08

Porsche 935/77 10

Edited by Davi
  • Like 29

6 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I like this too. I havent seen this "Baby" kit myself, but you have done really good work. 

Thanks! This is the kit: https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/italeri-3639-porsche-935-baby--1272731.

But when doing the research on pictures, the Baby looks really different with eg. another frontbumper and different exhaust.

• 3 weeks later...

Davi, thanks for showing your 935-77, great work! I just added your build report to my Racing Turbo Porsche 911 / 934 / 935' kit list. Your report made me look at the kit again, and it's kind of disappointing. An idea that keeps popping in my head is use only the body, and replace almost everything else with a Revell or Tamiya 934.

Rob

• Thanks 1

I like you line of thinking. Personally, I would be hesitant, because the body is not great in terms of detail and a bit 'rough' or heavily-build. Also the windows are not as delicat as you'd like them to be. So you would put in a huge amount of work to fit everything together and end up with great detail in places where you would barely see it and a mediocre body that covers it up.

In the end I guess I would recommend to work with this kit and put in the effort to optimize it. I bet some of the people here with more skills and patience than I have, can make a great result out of it as it is a fairly awesome car in real life.

• Like 1

A few times I've thought about buying this kit and more than a few times I've read how mediocre the quality and accuracy of the kit is, so bravo for getting a great looking result out of it.

• Thanks 1

Hi there, you have made a fine model of this mediocre kit. 

On 29/01/2024 at 17:27, Davi said:

And while doing some research on the original, it also appeared that while the box says it is the Baby, it actually looks more like the non-Baby

And you are most certainly correct about this being a non-Baby body. The former Italeri release depicted the 1980 Daytona winning 935 J (Liqui Moly livery). And the open front part is correct for that car IMHO, as opposed to the Baby. But then again, for the Daytona car, there are other flaws (e.g. rear air intakes). Modelling takes compromises, this is becoming evident when you try to do "right" on these old kits that Italeri keeps re-releasing... 😉

On 29/01/2024 at 17:27, Davi said:

The car is painted in TS26 Pure White. As an experiment I used TS79 Semi Gloss Finish to try to get to a more periode correct shine

I recommend to use TS-101 Base White. Yes, it's a primer but it's also a glossy white varnish that you can apply decals and clearcoat on, directly. So you save 1 painting step without making compromises, and it looks a great white IMHO. I used it on the Audi Quattro, for instance.

IMG_7526.thumb.JPG.310a6683f97cf28266df1

• Like 3

On 2/21/2024 at 11:08 AM, TommyOneTwoFour said:

And you are most certainly correct about this being a non-Baby body. The former Italeri release depicted the 1980 Daytona winning 935 J (Liqui Moly livery). And the open front part is correct for that car IMHO, as opposed to the Baby. But then again, for the Daytona car, there are other flaws (e.g. rear air intakes). Modelling takes compromises, this is becoming evident when you try to do "right" on these old kits that Italeri keeps re-releasing...

The genesis of this kit is more complicated. I hope I got it right in this summary:

Nitto as a regular 935-77, probably 1978, three issues. Nitto went under in 1985

Esci-Ertl as a 935 Baby, 1985 issue or later

AMT-Ertl as a regular 935-77, 1991 and 1998 issues

Italeri as a 935J, 2007 issue

Italeri as a 935 Baby, 2020 issue

I think this is the most travelled 935 model! As mentioned, it lacks a number of Baby features, so I condider it a 935-77.

Rob

BTW: I just added an in -progress report of the Nunu 935-K3 to my website, read and weep: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/kremer-k3.htm

Edited by Rob de Bie

• 2 weeks later...

The following is not meant as a comment on Davi's model, but mostly as a review-type comment. I studied my own Italeri 935-77 a bit more, concentrating on the shape. I don't have a fixed method for that, so it's a bit hit and miss. But I found one clear problem. Earlier, I had noticed that the width of the model is 4 mm over the published overall width of 1998 mm, but I could not identify the cause.

I think I found it now: the doors are too wide by that same figure. What I mean is that the 911 from that era had quite 'thin', delicate doors, as depicted by the Tamiya model. Nitto made the doors far thicker below the windows, they almost look bulky, and that extra width is continued in the rear fenders. It's a fairly subtle shape problem, one I hadn't encountered before. That's why I'm posting it here.

I've been wondering whether it can be corrected, but that's really difficult I think. A kitbash of the Tamiya 935-76 greenhouse with the Italeri 935-77 is a solution, but close to madness..

Rob

54 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

@Rob de Bie or maybe taking greenhouse from normal 911 kit? If I remember correctly rules demanded to keep original doors and roofline and window shapes. Maybe we need to start separate topic to cover correcting various 935's.

Ah yes, of course, a street 911 could be used too.

I have to add another comment: I based my 'door width' theory on the assumption that the Tamiya 935-76 is 100% correct. Which is not proven, at all. But you can see the 'thin' doors in any Porsche 930 photo.

Rob