1/72 B-26B Marauder

• 3 weeks later...

Very slow progress...

Mostly to fix gaps and other surface imperfection which shows after black primer using Mr.Hobby black primer coated with clear gloss from the same brand.

20240304_225755

Not shown, but I paint several panels with white or light grey to give different metal shine later on.

Left couple of days to cure, then came the first coat of polished aluminum from AK Xtreme Metal, which shows more gaps, steps and other problems needs filling and smooth sanding and re-primer. No pictures since I was too frustrated.

After several session of filling, sanding, riveting, primer, etc and several thin layers of AK Xtreme Metal's Polished Metal;

20240313_070911

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Bare metal is just stressful for me....

I keep findings all those imperfection whenever I pick up the model to do something

When I mask and paint the OD area, and bombs.. 

20240318_224553

When I install the engines and and bombs..

20240321_212411

when I paint and decals the prop (oh and start the decals.. KitsWorld didn't exactly numbered the decals so I stuck the wrong bar and stripes, so I use the kit's decal)

20240323_073606

During the afromentioned steps above I always found some kind of surface imperfections which -although small- stands out like a sore thumb... So I need to sand-primer-paint , each time.

The instructions sheet did a not so good job explaining the build... But I made it through

20240321_212033

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 16

I'm not seeing any imperfections either, that's looking very nice to me :)

James

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice words, guys!

It feels weeks since my last updates, but the project still going...

Weathering... I reserve more in using pigments and brown and dust wash on the upper section of the wing near each engines, since from the pictures I saw these area looks more dirty than others. Other reasen is I was too scared to lift off the metallic paints if I use normal washing.

20240403_221024

Legs are on... And she sat on her tails

So I flattened a fishing ballast cut it and put it in the area between bombardier station and cockpit. Nobody cant see it when the clear parts is on later.

20240403_221055

Then I realized, during the extra ballast installation i cracked the area fwd of nose gear.

So it's another story of glue-sand-primer-metallic paints

20240403_221033

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 11

Small update... 

Last night after I post the update, I install the tailgun and cheek gun. When I just about to turn off my workbench lights et al, I accidentally nudge the build and it crash down...

20240405_230239

Miraculously the only damage was to the port wing assembly and the nose landing gear.

The wing is easier fix.. 

The nose landing gear, I need to drill and add a piece if wire before gluing the broken parts together.

20240405_232436

(Yes... I'm tempted to sand and repaint hose glittery area on the wheel well)

20240405_232721

Back on her feet....

cheers,

Mario

• Like 9

I'm glad that was an easy fix after the unintended test-flight, she's looking very nice and I'd have hated to see your hard work destroyed

James

On 4/8/2024 at 5:29 PM, 81-er said:

I'm glad that was an easy fix after the unintended test-flight, she's looking very nice and I'd have hated to see your hard work destroyed

James

Yet.. I broke it again 🫣 

This time when I just installed the fwd glazing which has the cal.50 nose gun. And I was in process installing the top machine gun turret.

It was my stupidity for pushed the turret too hard it launch the kit to the side of the table and into my lap. It's enough to broke the nose gun barrel, and both barrels on the top turret..

20240409_194919

I seriously considered to trash this kit..

And sourcing new metal barrel (something that certainly will buy a bunch for future build!) will cost more time.

So I just make do with the pieces of the broken barrels

20240409_203448

The glue blop and skewed barrel looks silly.. but that's the best I can get for now.

😒

Cheers

Mario

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

That could have been a lot worse. At least it's fixable, and the excess glue can always be cleaned up when it's fully set

James

Just caught up with this Mario.

You have done some great work on this build, I appreciate you have had a couple of set backs, but it would be a real shame to give up on it. It is obvious to me you have the skill to finish this and it will be a very good model when you do.

George

• Like 3

Thanks for the support, gents.

Happy to report, the build still continues..

To minimize further breaking, the nose glazing and dorsal turret parts will be install last.

Meanwhile I glued in the wheels and props..

20240412_084539

Also scratch marauder's sight system using wire on the nose area. The artwork and colored spinner were based on a black/white pucture of this particular airframe I found in the 391bombgroup.org.uk. red is just a guess I made...

Also glued the undercarriage doors.. that's when I found a noticable gap. Probably from the previous incident. I'm getting lazy, so I fill the gap using CA, sand it as soon as it dries, and instead repaint it, I decided to play a bit with microscale's foil glue and aluminum foil. 

20240413_102225

It was too shiny so a few coat of Mig Ammo flat coat of the area. Afterwards I start to weather the whole underside area..

20240413_115856

I found a picture of silver marauder showing unique pattern of underside oil leaks or some sort on the engines and the fuselage underside, so I decided to replicate it using oil wash. 

cheers,

Mario

• Like 5

Nothing better than a solid photo reference for adding weathering, and it's very effective. I really like the added gunsights, a small detail that makes a big difference

James

• Thanks 1

A beautiful result, Mario :D Thank you for joining us with this build

James

• Thanks 1