77th FBS 20th FBW Wethersfield Commanders Streak

Here's my second build & this will be straight out of the box. In keeping with my long term plan to build a Streak from each of the Fighter Bomber Sqn's based in East Anglia & nice of Special Hobby to make a good start with this option.

53492010062_c63309126b_b.jpg

53493328180_a1051e2baf_b.jpg

And here's proof of my obsession! 😆

53493017153_153faec6e1_b.jpg

53491974707_c797f1cdce_b.jpg

• Like 8

Good luck, Martin!! 

I didn't realise - because I havent looked at my kits yet - that the nose is separate. So, maybe I will leave my Sword/SH mating to get a RF-84F a while! 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Good luck, Martin!! 

I didn't realise - because I havent looked at my kits yet - that the nose is separate. So, maybe I will leave my Sword/SH mating to get a RF-84F a while! 🤞

Haha! Yes that's exactly why I've started with this SH kit. When i've finished these two instead of buying more SH kits I'm sure I will go back to the Sword kits!

I do like the look of your "G" with that base/stand decal.

I would like to do a F-84G at some point but it would have to be one of these from Wethersfield. Decals are non existent in 1/72 though!

68-2.jpg

• Like 2

Martin,

A good start, good luck.

2 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Haha! Yes that's exactly why I've started with this SH kit. When i've finished these two instead of buying more SH kits I'm sure I will go back to the Sword kits!

I do like the look of your "G" with that base/stand decal.

I would like to do a F-84G at some point but it would have to be one of these from Wethersfield. Decals are non existent in 1/72 though!

68-2.jpg

I've got a spare set of 77FBS/20FBW decals from Modeldecal sheet 50, it has red markings not yellow but...  ...if you're interested let me know.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Martin,

A good start, good luck.

I've got a spare set of 77FBS/20FBW decals from Modeldecal sheet 50, it has red markings not yellow but...  ...if you're interested let me know.

Thanks Wez, I have already used that sheet on a previous build. If memory serves me the yellow one was the 78th? Just something to add to the collection.

• Like 2

Painted up everything with that required the zinc chromate green including the cockpit. Didn't take long to get the seats & cockpit completely painted.

Would have been nice to see decals for the instrument panel & either etch or decals for the seat straps. A visit to Hannants tomorrow might rememdy the strap situation.

53497094447_189f84069b_b.jpg

Showing everything else that required painting with zinc chromate before the main subassemblies go together...

53497121147_3c6fc7f3e0_b.jpg

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Would have been nice to see decals for the instrument panel & either etch or decals for the seat straps.

I think there is a decal for instrument panel :hmmm:At least in Operation Kadesh box. 

Not for the side consoles and not for the harness unfortunately. 

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I think there is a decal for instrument panel :hmmm:At least in Operation Kadesh box. 

Not for the side consoles and not for the harness unfortunately. 

Oh yes, right in the middle of the decal sheet is a small constellation of dots for the instrument panel. I will still use them thanks for reminding me! I've just called into the big H & now I've got some 3D printed belts which will look better than none. They're designed for the T-33 & F-94 so should be adequate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Oh yes, right in the middle of the decal sheet is a small constellation of dots for the instrument panel. I will still use them thanks for reminding me!

Quite frankly I think your instrument panels already look very well without that constellation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Personally, I visit the place about once every fifteen years! 

Wow! A bit of a trek for you then? I'm only in the neighbouring county. 😉

57 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Wow! A bit of a trek for you then? I'm only in the neighbouring county. 😉

Yeah, I'm way out west now. I spent some time in the East Anglian Air Force but I tend not to visit much.

Not much done today even though I had a rare day off work, but made a little bit more detail work to the seats & cockpits.

Some panel line wash has been added to highlight the pretty good detail already present & added the 3D printed seat straps & belts which were by Kitsworld.

53505453464_96afc78d43_b.jpg

53505453459_bd22b9c5e4_b.jpg

53505296958_0100aba177_b.jpg

53505296953_4dd364c7ac_b.jpg

• Like 11

Here goes with the nose gear/nose weight compartment. I use lead strip & blutack -

53509166521_028e8b71b8_b.jpg

Then closed it in. SH could have provided a couple of bits of plastic to do this but they saved on plastic to give me a job. Easy.

Note piece of plastic at the rear end with a gap at the top to allow the cockpit to mate against.

53508275917_e8e31eaf2d_b.jpg

53509166981_82a5475299_b.jpg

Just a couple of bits to fill in with plastic putty. Still had to do the usual & sand away the bottom join line & rescribe the panel lines.

I liked the top section that slotted in perfectly with no filler! Would have been nice to have something like that along the bottom, not a complaint in anyway though.

53508276337_0ecdc2f350_b.jpg

53509167451_ca191e4f84_b.jpg

Here's the doppleganger, both with the short tails. Special Hobby indicate that the Wethersfield airframe 52-6570 would have the short tail.

Looking at info on BM and elsewhere it looks like 52-6570 was one of the last batch to have the short tail so I've gone with that. The other airframe is 52-6675 "might be one of the first few that had the tall tail but not being exactly sure I've attached the short tail.

If anyone can say for certain then it can be swapped.

53508276747_805e2a21d5_b.jpg

Engineering on the contact points for the wing to fuselage was perfect, not too much glue & no filler. Brilliant.

53508276997_aabcffd0a1_b.jpg

That's that for now.

• Like 7

After work on rescribing one of the Sword kits, added the canopy. Was tricky masking it as the edges are actually shallow recessed panel lines in the clear parts.

So applied masking tape burnished on, then used a soft pencil to bring out the detail where to cut. For an easier quicker way, just order Special Hobby's masks for the kit, another thing that would have been nice included in the kit. Sword provide them for their kit, but they wouldn't fit this canopy.

53514828627_8aaa540f3d_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...