**FINISHED** Special Hobby F-84F KLu

Since I'm at it, I will also make a thread for the lovely new Special (or "Spacial", as it says on the runners....)  Hobby kit. Because it would be rude not to. 

Wellknow bits: 

20240128-114132.jpg

Edited by Hook
  • Like 7

Nothing set in stone yet, but since the SH kit offers a early rear fuselage option without the parabrake fairing this one will probably end up as an early pre-camouflage one. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

On this one I did some paint work on all wheel bays, nose intake parts (all in aluminium), exhaust area in  Burnt Iron and the lovely molded pit in Dark Gull Gray / NATO Black: 

20240129-185238.jpg

, followed by glueing the tub, real wall and control stick, as well as the four part exhaust together, glueing the latter in the starbord fuselage and applying the decal to the instrument panel: 

20240129-210428.jpg

Tomorrow I'll attempt to remove the carrier film of the Eduard style decals - the carrier film is quite sloppily overlapping the instrument panel as of now.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Hook said:

Tomorrow I'll attempt to remove the carrier film of the Eduard style decals

Great success!, I managed to pull it off. In both meanings. :)  

Stock pit looks quite nice already, still some detail painting to do. I also added the structural frames to the MLG bays and applied some Deep Gray PLW:

20240130-084702.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 5

Some SH and other external stores assembled - I haven't decided which stores will go on which kit, but I like options. Who doesn't! 

20240203-155417.jpg

From left to right: SH 450 gallon 'Type 1' tanks, napalm tanks (?),'Type 2' 450 gallon tank out of Hasegawa's RF-101C kit, bombs from SH's Mirage IIIC which look like those I've seen Dutch 'Streaks carry, M117's from a Monogram Thud, and HVAR's from Academy F-84E/G kit. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 7

On 2/6/2024 at 10:18 PM, reini said:

@Hook Oh yes, gotta have some options!

Everybody loves options.  :) 

Here she is now, lest you lot think I snub the sweptwings: 

20240211-105516.jpg

Cockpit and splitter plate fitted. Assembly is a pleasure so far! 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 4

This is her current state of being: wings assembled (since this one will be uncampouflaged I did not bother spraying the lower wings PRU Blue first), gun reflector housing added: 

20240218-153018.jpg

And with all the inner bits fitted - clamparama!:

20240218-153423.jpg

A preliminary test fit of the dorsal spine part shows it just about clicks into place. Fit so far is great - unlike @Lightningboy2000 's build even the ventral seam is almost nonexistent! 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Fit so far has been exemplary apart from the forward nose intake whcih gave me some major gappage - most likely selfinflicted. I needed a fair bit of putty:

20240309-145708.jpg

Which cleaned up allright - here she is as of now!

20240309-172354.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 11:35 PM, Klaasdebouwer said:

There's nothing that a few spashes of putty can't cure. :phew:

Apparently!: 

20240328-205146.jpg

Here she is in her current state - tail feathers fitted and some more filling / sanding / rinse / repeat done on the nose part. 

With a bit of meteorological luck I can spray some metal on her this weekend. If only I knew some people who were meteorologists during their Air Force careers!  ;) 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 6

On 3/31/2024 at 1:36 PM, reini said:

@Hook Best of luck with the weather!

Thanks!, but so far so crappy. We just had a few decent hours of sun yesterday, but obviously that immediately prompted my girlfriend to enjoy the sunshine at our picknick table. If I would have sent her away with a "Yeah, I kind of need the table for airbrushing, hon", I would probably be in hospital now.  ;) 

Well, at least I could apply the ASK masks. 

20240330-161035.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3

Alright, update time! 

With some hurdles the last weekend, here is where we are as of now: 

20240408-193747.jpg

Still some more sorting out of the nose gaps to do (metallics are as merciless as they are brutal!), but getting there. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

Some Mr Surfacer and wet & dry work done on the nose, gaps look better now methinks.

Also, she is on her own legs:

20240414-085304.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

Some more Aluminum, nose looks better methinks. Of course, to bring balance to the Force, one of the tailplanes immediately fell off.  :) 

20240414-150501.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 5

On 4/14/2024 at 11:00 PM, RidgeRunner said:

They need brass rod to strengthen them, Andre

Indeed they do. So, out with the smalldrill bits: 

20240421-120445.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Some more Aluminium misted on - still not where I want to be on the fuselage, but I don't want to risk putting on too much in one go:

20240421-192742.jpg

, and pylons added:

20240421-192758.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Some more Aluminium, OD antiglare and black spine electronics panel added:

20240507-182143.jpg

Just about ready for some steamy decalling! 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

Great Job Andre. Painting Silver and getting to look right can be a challenge at times. But you seem to have overcome its pitfalls.

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 3:29 PM, LorenSharp said:

Great Job Andre. Painting Silver and getting to look right can be a challenge at times. But you seem to have overcome its pitfalls.

Thanks! It did indeed take several sessions, but I think she is now as good as it gets. 

Some decalling started - on the home stretch now: 

20240508-081120.jpg

Of course, being a drooling idiot, I should have applied the underwing roundels *before* the outbaord wing pylons. Take a wild guess! 

20240511-135920.jpg

It took a bit of creative slicing and dicing with a new scalpel blade, but getting there. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3

Thrills and excitement as we're nearing the finish line. Yesterday I started with the stencilling (of which there is a lot). 

Today. a lot of masking tape and a good afternoon's worth of airbrushing gets us here - squadron colors added around the nose, wings and stabs:

20240512-155723.jpg

Really livens her up, methinks! Nice and colourful. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4