**FINISHED** Sword 1/72nd F-84F KLu

OK, next thread!, this will be the Sword F-84F kit to end up as a Dutch bird, unit TBD (but I'm leaning towards 314 Squadron). 

Basic ingredients: 

20240127-174609.jpg

This 2nd edition had a handy masking set included: 

20240127-175455.jpg

Edited by Hook
  • Like 4

And somehow my absent-mindedness has meant that I have forgotten about the Belgian machine for which Steve @stevehnz sent me the Daco serial numbers! I will have to slip this in somehow! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

And somehow my absent-mindedness has meant that I have forgotten about the Belgian machine for which Steve @stevehnz sent me the Daco serial numbers! I will have to slip this in somehow! 

I should jolly well hope so. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1

And here is the Sword Streak as of now - Dark Gull Gray and NATO Black in the cockpit, Aluminium in the wheel bays and nose intake part. Like her photographing sister she has a huge ejector pin marking in the cockpit floor which I have to sort out, followed by more Dark Gull Gray:

20240129-211910.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

Swords F-84F also got a bit of attention today. 

For the splitter plate / nose gear housingPart 15 (on which I inadvertently did a Rolling Stones job and Painted It Black) is to be fitted snugly between parts 45/46. However, the issue to be tackled first is quite obvious when looking at parts 45/46 - more ejector pin towers! 

20240203-150430.jpg

Oh well, that's that files and sandpaper are for: 

20240203-151242.jpg

It fits! Notice the by now standard Massive Ejector Tower taken care of in the pit, with some added Mr Surfacer: 

20240203-153650.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 7

Glad I first off went with the SH kit now! My main concern is how to create a space for nose weight.

Looks like a very simplified kit in comparison, but worth it in the end!

10 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Glad I first off went with the SH kit now! My main concern is how to create a space for nose weight.

Looks like a very simplified kit in comparison, but worth it in the end!

I kind of feel sorry for Sword, releasing the best 1/72nd F-84F after a 50 year wait since the 1972 Italeri and 1974 Airfix - only to be dethroned by the SH kit within a few months. 

Still, kits are for building! I'm sure there's plenty of room for some lead in her fuselage.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

And here's her current state. The splitter plate / nose gear housing assembly proved to be a quite handy place to stuff some of my trusted roofers' lead: 

20240205-200921.jpg

Jet pipe painted and fitted as well - now I need to get crackin on her cockpit and I'll be able to close her up. I also assembled the main bits of the "Lange Jannen" fuel bags: 

20240205-203658.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

On 2/6/2024 at 9:47 PM, reini said:

@Hook Yes, definitely - even if the Sword kit might not be as refined as the SH kit - are kits are for building! :) 

True that! 

In that spirit, some work done on her office - I have since removed the Honking Big Ejector Tower on the back of the instrument panel because otherwise it will interfere with the coaming part: 

20240211-161734.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Klaasdebouwer said:

Looking good. I thought that that ejector pin looked like a really poor representation of a radar scope. :lol: 

Especially poor since it is on the back of the instrument panel. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

Here's where we are as of now with her. 

Wings painted - aluminium on the insides, PRU Blue on the outside (this will hopefully save me some persky masking later on: 

20240218-073322.jpg

So far so good!, wings needed a bit of cleanup where the runner meets the part to get a snug fit, but that's all part of the fun with Sword kits: 

20240218-100820.jpg

Cockpit assembled and painted, exhaust and splitter plate with nose weight added: 

20240218-154505.jpg

Innards all lined up, glued in the fuselage, and then it was clamping time!: 

20240218-155009.jpg

As most of you lot know, Sword cannot be bothered with such modern conventions as location pins or tabs, but that's prt and parcel of these kits - everything lined up well enough. I had to let some additional TET run in the crack of the parabrake housing and clamp some more, but nothing major. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A small update on this one as well, I was dissatisfied with the fit of the upper nose so some much needed filler applied and cleaned up: 

20240328-205218.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 4

A typical Sword kit. But you're wrangling it together in tip top fashion. Keep up the outstanding work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 12:25 AM, LorenSharp said:

A typical Sword kit. But you're wrangling it together in tip top fashion. Keep up the outstanding work.

Thanks! We are plowing onward. 

And here she is in her current state - canopy fitted, with a first layer of Dark Gull Gray for the inside of the canopy frames followed by a first layer of BS 641 Dark Green: 

20240408-193731.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

EDSG added and masking removed!:

20240414-150212.jpg

Compared with the EDSG the Dark Green looks a bit spottish, I may have to return to that colour later on. 

Her undersides got some PRU Blue attention as well: 

20240414-150303.jpg

The camera is merciless!, I may have to do some more filling on those underside gaps.

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 4

On 4/14/2024 at 3:16 PM, Hook said:

Compared with the EDSG the Dark Green looks a bit spottish, I may have to return to that colour later on.

Which I managed today - better, methinks: 

20240421-191217.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

On to the home stretch with this one as well - I have fitted the wing pylons for the tanks and began adding the landing gear bits, with the location of especially the nose gear and associated strut a bit vague: 

20240511-135842.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3

Todays update as we're racing towards the finish line - stabs and tanks painted, some general clean up on the camouflage on the airframe done:

20240512-155913.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3