**FINISHED** Sword 1/72nd RF-84F KLu

Here we go! For your enjoyment and persusal I shall try to whip a Sword RF-84F into shape so we'll hopefully end up with a nice Dutch 306 Squadron recce bird. 

This is what we have to play with: 

20240127-174645.jpg

So far I have masked the canopy and windshield, put the back wall to the main cockpit tub and Dremeled out some potentially pesky ejection towers, with the Main Offender right in the middle of the cockpit floor but a few in the exhaust arera as well - most likely the latter will not foul the exhaust pipe, but why risk it.

The weather looks like my cunning plan for an airbrush session this afternoon will come to fruition.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 6

Just now, RidgeRunner said:

Coming thick and fast, mate! ;)

Well... thick, anyway.  :) 

Parts layout - very doable for a shorter run kit: 

20240128-092350.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, reini said:

So you're single-handedly gonna build all of the Dutch F-84's? 😁👍

Every variant we operated - that's the plan! 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Good luck Andre, looks like you're taking a lot on with all of your builds.

Well, most of the time goes towards preparing for airbrushing.

Once I'm at it, there is hardly any difference in the time needed to spray one kit or the time needed fot two. 

Or eight. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Sword received some Dark Gull Gray and NATO Black in the pit yesterday, as well as a layer of Aluminium in the wheel bays: 

20240129-211723.jpg

I also assembled the basic pit tonight - it's visible between the lower wings in the photo above - and put some Gloss Black in the dial areas of the NATO Black instrument panel, which stands out nicely.

I'll still have to dremel out the huge ejector tower smack dab in the middle of the cockpit floor. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 6

Some Deep Grey PLW added to bring out the detail in the bays and wheels:

20240130-084944.jpg

That's all I had time for - off to the office now! 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 6

Smallish update, just to prove that the swept wing variants received some well deserved loving as well. 

I fitted the intakes, forewarned by Enzo's observation that the narrow end of the intake parts go on the front - this is indeed not so obvious just from reading the instructions: 

20240203-153741.jpg

I also glued the basic cockpit tub to the aft firewall, dremeld out the Huge Ejection Pin Tower smack dab in the middle of the cockpiut floor and added some Mr Surfacer salve to the resulting styrene wound. Some file action when this is thorougly dried and we're ready to proceed to the next step! 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 6

On 2/6/2024 at 10:19 PM, reini said:

@Hook Sword kits certainly seem to have plenty of ejector pins. But I think I still like the huge towers better than the shallow recessed ones...

Indeed. I have dremeled them out, wings fitted fine after that: 

20240211-104445.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 5

I started fitting the quite fiddly wing fences - the outer one in the picture came pre-broken on the runner, but I think I got away with it: 

20240211-163119.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 4

This weekend I threw some paint at her: 

20240218-073400.jpg

Nearing the fuselage assembly point - I want to mask the camera windows before fitting them to the nose, and I need to glue more lead under the cockpit (the eagle eyed among you may spot the one bit I CA'd to the right fuselagem, but more'll be needed to keep her on her nose wheel.

Cockpit and nose wheel bay painted and assembled, bulkhead with engine face fitted (which I am one hunderd percent sure will never be seen again, but now we all know it's there!): 

20240218-160244.jpg

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Hook said:

bulkhead with engine face fitted (which I am one hunderd percent sure will never be seen again, but now we all know it's there!)

I think this should be attached with rounded side down. In this way it is placed right opposite of the wing intakes and is better seen through the intakes. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I think this should be attached with rounded side down. In this way it is placed right opposite of the wing intakes and is better seen through the intakes. 

Duh - you're totally right!, that'll teach me to actually look at the instructions!

I have just reattached the bulkhead in its intended position. I still don't recon it will be all that visible, but this way it'll give some strength to the assembled fuselage.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hook said:

I still don't recon it will be all that visible

If you shine a torch into one intake - you'll probably see the blades through another, especially if you know it's there :)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Any news on this one, Rene? 

Rene who? :) 

(Funnily enough, my manager tends to call me Rene as a running joke). 

I have managed a bit of progress, but I must confess having been quite negligent in my BritModeller duties of late - the killing combination of too much work (I must have put in about 50 hours last week all together), social / family obligations and crappy weather which prevented me from doing any airbrushing, since I'm confined to the back yard for that. 

Anyway, here is where she is as of yet: 

20240328-204419.jpg

Cockpit, nose landing gear bay, and jet exhaust fitted and some lead sheet CA'd in the nose for weight.

I have just received a mask set for the canopy and clear photo nose panels, hopefully the weather will permit some more airbrush work this Easter weekend. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

Oops! Sorry, Andre! I knew but simply forgot :). It’s great to see your progress, albeit hampered by events, mate. :)

On 3/31/2024 at 12:21 AM, LorenSharp said:

Still coming along nicely though

Thanks! I have put some more time in this weekend. 

Some succulent masking done: 

20240331-144403.jpg

Camera bits painted NATO Black, with some chrome pen dots to simulate the lenses: 

20240331-152514.jpg

The fit of the clear parts was... interesting. I needed to sand all edges to achieve anything near a decent fit.

Funnily enough, the largest and most complex shaped clear camera windows bit (starboard fuselage) gave me the least trouble: 

20240331-150730.jpg

Like I said - the fit was, let's say interesting: 

20240331-155202.jpg

With that, the fuselage could be closed up - I find this always a major milestone in any build: 

20240331-155936.jpg

Obviously, some of the painstakingly fitted clear parts popped right out again.

Oh well, at least that's better than having them fall in.   :) 

20240401-132946.jpg

Starboard wing fitted!, fit is decent, I still have to sort out the cavity between the leading edge of the wing and the inner wing fences but some wood glue will make short of it, I hope: 

20240401-133333.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

Interesting to see other people's take on this kit. I found it a plastic whittlers dream, as in parts need working on to fit. Especially those camera windows. I also gave the whole kit a good re-scribing. Good luck with yours! I really want to build another one but in a highly polished aluminium! Yes I know I am mad! 

Martin 

On 4/1/2024 at 9:13 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

Interesting to see other people's take on this kit. I found it a plastic whittlers dream, as in parts need working on to fit. Especially those camera windows. I also gave the whole kit a good re-scribing. Good luck with yours!

Thanks! It is indeed a kit that takes some effort. I found that the wings had a tendency to assume a marked dihedral when glueing them in a snug position, so I had some repositioning and filling of the resulting gaps to do. There is a small pin on the uppper inside surfaces that is meant to go in a corresponding dimple in the fuselage, but I found that to interfere so I cut the nib off. Even then I had to put in some effort. 

But hey, it's a Sword kit. Putting in effort is half the fun. 

Anyway. After a somewhat frustrating weekend weatherwise (see my general thread for a good laugh) I managed to get her here: 

20240408-193817.jpg

Wings attached in more or less the proper attitude, windscreen / quarterlights put in place, camera windows refitted and a quick bit of Dark Gull Gray for the correct shade on the inside of the canopy frames and a light bit of preshading prior to applying more camouflage. 

I really want to build another one but in a highly polished aluminium! Yes I know I am mad! 

Oh dear. I have an aluminium Dutch one planned as well, so that makes two of us (but first I need to finish those in this GB!). 

STOP THE MADNESS! Oh wait, we do this for fun.  :) 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 5

EDSG on the uppers: 

20240414-150404.jpg

PRU Blue on the lowers: 

20240414-150414.jpg

Getting there! Next step, Dark Green (and some sanding / repainting on the underfuselage seam - it looks better in person than on camera!).

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 5