Lockheed PV1 Ventura F240

rob Lyttle

12 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

That is the Donetsk Toy Factory logo on the instruction sheet. The lettering under it is Lockheed "Ventura" in cyrillic script (Локхид "Вентура").

This is where I miss Serge @Aardvark who lived in Donetsk and knows a lot about the history of that factory - I have not heard from him since the war started and hope that he and his family are OK. Under happier circumstances he would no doubt have been actively posting in this GB.

I believe that any "genuine" Frog mouldings would have been in dark blue plastic.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

They've been in the thick of it from the start and before, I think 🤔 

Must be nearly 10 years now I think.

Pete

• Sad 1

This is coming along nicely Rob. Enjoying following along and seeing all the fixes. This will be nice to see in the gallery. Top notch work!

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I mentioned previously that the side door was rather heavily lined out. Taking a further look I figured that Frog had designed the moulding to facilitate the opening up of the door. The outline allowed light to shine through and that's always an indication. 

Before I could stop myself I was in there with the knife...

20240201_222447

This wasn't really in the plan but I've battled with many mouldings that DON'T facilitate this operation and I couldn't resist the opportunity to do an easy one 🤩 So I may need a floor and maybe a seat or two. 

Some framework is being built around the tail end to get rid of the step associated with the ventral gun position. A few old airframes still have this step with the glazing sheeted over. A lot of them have the recess made-up to a "normal" fuselage shape. 

One of the most prolific converters of Venturas was a Co called Howard. The Howard 500 type for example had a massive makeover process including basically a new fuselage. Obviously no ventral steps on these!

But just making good that step seems to have been quite common so I'm going to try doing it on this'un. 

Although the tailwheel is retractable the doors are closed except while raising and lowering. So doors are never seen opened. I'll work something out for the wheel. 

Some tentative drilling and filing for a window or two. 

Pilot holes...

20240201_204628

Reamed out for rounded corners...

20240201_204808

Then chop, hack, and file 

• Like 11

A bit more of a plan for a window layout while leaving the original doorway (rather than relocate the entrance to the rear) I've made a window in the door itself, in a slightly raised position relative to the main window line..

20240202_232217

And I got the tail-end modification panelled over for both sides. Any final blending can be done when the two sides go together. 

I put the few bits of the cockpit together. I couldn't find a pilot seat so cobbled one out of a couple of bits of styrene, and gave the copilot seat a backrest. Strangely, Frog have put the control column position on the righthand side which is contrary to anything I know about cockpit layout, Venturas or anything else ,so I drilled for it on the left side. Two columns would be nice but I've only got the one. 

I know already how little can be seen in there when all is done so I'm not going over board with a load of details that will be buried and never seen again 😀 

Better to crack on and get a viable airframe in hand 

• Like 11

I've had a few info gathering exchanges in the past on britmodeller about Lockheed Twins and all sorts of others. Absolute mine of information, this site!🤩

This is one from ages ago with some suggestions for civil Venturas...if the link works 🤔

• Thanks 1

I found my Ventura this evening, moulded in chocolate brown plastic, and Russian / Ukrainian instructions so likely Donetsk Toy Factory made.

I'm really enjoying following this one as, you so rarely see this aircraft being made, and until Academy made one it was largely overlooked by mainstream manufacturers. 

Have you decided on a colour scheme  ?

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

No decisions yet Pat, but probably white with a colour window band. Something along those lines....

These Lockheed Twins span the era between the single engined wooden Vega/Orion types used by Amelia Earhart and Wiley Post etc and the Queens of the Skies, the majestic Constellations .

Basically a broke outfit to a global player in the super league!

Why they are so poorly represented in kit maker's catalogues is a mystery to me. Don't think Airfix have produced anything since the Hudson in 1963😶 Couldn't say how many Spitfires and Me109s they've issued in the meantime.

As for the civil aspects of the types... Pffff.🤭

Keep a look out for this little guy, 

Donetsk Toy Factory logo

This is definitely the logo of Donetsk Toy Factory 

• Like 5

I'm picking away at the process of fitting cabin windows.  It's all a bit tedious but I've taken a slightly different path to my usual. I have thinner clear plastic which is genuine styrene. And I'm working with a strip that's covered on one side with masking, making it much more visible for working with, gives a surface to draw on, and each window is ready-masked when fitted. 

20240209_233456

I have 4 done on the starboard side. I also drilled and shaped 2 skylight windows to the rear in the style of a Lodestar or L14 Super Electra. This suggests that a "restroom facility" has been installed. Not sure what was provided in military service- but we're going for a functional little airliner here 😉 

Window fixing is done with styrene cement by glue on a cocktail stick run around the opening, having the pane face down on the mat, and lowering the fuselage side down over it. Only snag so far is the wing root protruding from the side which stops the fuselage surface getting down onto the mat around the pane. Using the edge of the mat helps, letting the root overhang. 

Of course, being hand made, the openings are all slightly different 🙄 and each needs its own window pane crafted to suit. 

Those little ones at the back will just get Kristal Kleer 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

working with a strip that's covered on one side with masking, making it much more visible for working with, gives a surface to draw on, and each window is ready-masked when fitted. 

Clever solution. 

• Like 1

I got the "fenestration" process done...

20240211_001642

Not a brilliant result, with little dabs of pva filling some gaps etc but we'll see how it all pans out. 

There's a pilot figure in the front seat too.

20240211_001713

The rear window on the starboard side has a panel of foil applied to simulate the shape of an emergency exit. Don't know if that's going to work under paint 🤔 

• Like 9

Hi

interesting thread, i have a bagged ventura molded in yellow plastic

and a lancaster from donetsk factory,  if i recall correctly both and a few others from a hannants ?  tent stall at an airshow in the 70/80's

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

pilot

Definitely a promotion from "Dapol Man looking bored waiting for train"!

Nice work on the transparencies, looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

I'm warming to these old Lockheeds. They definitely had a "house style". You can even see a family resemblance to the P-38 and P-80 (but maybe not the SR-71!).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Dapol Man

I knew he was looking for somewhere to sit and this was the next vacant seat 😃

Not a lot going on here right now, but I've found a couple of mystery parts. They're not shown on the instructions that I can see...

Frog ventura mystery parts

Looks like they are both numbered 39 but could be 38 and 39. Very curly font used. 

I can't think of anything they can possibly represent on a Ventura. Perhaps the original Frog instructions might name them or indicate the reason why they are there 🤔 

• Confused 1

I made a total of 5 seats for the cabin, and a piece of flooring trimmed to span the fuselage without interference to the fitting of the sides together. 

20240213_213825

I fixed a couple of rails inside the fuselage for the floor to sit on. Didn't get a good picture of them 😕 but I'm sure you get the idea...

20240213_214109

Cockpit in of course. It's the gap between the 2 seats on the port side that will line up with the door opening so there's one seat in front, one astern of the doorway, and one opposite. That's going to do the job for this'un. 

Well, sieze the day, they say...

20240213_223935

I was toying with the idea of getting the fuselage paintwork started while the 2 halves were flat on the building board but really it's not viable with so much sorting to do. For example the big one piece bomb bay door unit.  This....

20240213_223951

Like I said, quite a lot of sorting to do 😶

Best plan I reckon is to get the wings and tailplanes all built and assembled, deal with any gap issues etc and then think about decorating as a complete airframe 

• Like 8

Great to see the fuselage all buttoned up and the internals are all nicely done. Thats a major milestone ticked off. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Before I move onto the wings I want to tackle the tailplanes on this. I'm usually keen to get some movement on the moving parts of an aeroplane, deflection on control surfaces and so on. A bit like steering on a model car.I think it adds a bit of life to the model's appearance. 

The Lockheed twin tailfin design does NOT lend itself easily to such procedures!

The rudders are particularly difficult, and the way kit designers deal with Lockheed's complexity often adds to the modelling difficulties. 

I've done the elevators and the rudders previously in 1.48, and indeed @marvinneko has done the full procedure on his 1.72 Academy kit project. But for this one I'm going half measures.... the elevators will get a bit of deflection and the rudders will stay straight. As a result the structural integrity of the assembled parts has a snowball's chance 🤩

Here's what we're dealing with...

20240214_204619

The one-piece fin parts need a bit of refinement and the trim tabs can get a bit of deflection as a consolation for straight rudders 

20240214_204653

As you can see, parting each rudder from its fin would be an elaborate job! And then it needs a slot to allow it to fit over the fixed section of tailplane.... hold that thought as I fix up one side here...

The elevators are cut straight off including the little triangle bits that are parts of the fixed tailplane.  Also the tab which locates in the fuselage side has to remain with the fixed tailplane...

20240214_233532

Now the top and bottom of the tailplane can go together and be assembled onto the fuselage and the fin goes on. 

20240214_220904

Those 2 little triangle pieces get cut off the elevators and stuck together-- that's them on the mat. There's enough tongue on the inside of the fin protruding there for the triangles part to slot onto, with glue. 

20240214_221218

D'you get me...?‼️🤩

You see, on the actual plane, the rudder is in 2 parts basically, and just joined at the very trailing edge, and it sweeps back and forth over that little fixed section. Meanwhile the elevators can swing up and down and not interfere with the rudders. 

The complexity of modelling that on this airframe with these kit parts does not appeal right now 😎

So, with all that,I got the rudder trim tab released and moved, and the elevator tidied up and fitted with some drop. 

20240214_225602

Just got the other one to do now....

While I was snapping pictures I noticed that the internal seating arrangement was just kinda visible so I took a couple. 

20240214_221246

20240214_221255

Well, could've done with a bit more padding or upholstery I suppose, or an arm rest but hey.....😇

• Like 7

Great work Rob! People won’t believe what this kit looked like in raw form, compared to the end result, which I look forward to.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work, Rob. Well done on keeping the energy going to add the detail. You can only go so far though given the limitations of the actual moulding. That old plastic seems to be taking it well. Best of luck for the rest. Regards, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took a couple more photos as the 2nd tailplane proceeded that might help to clarify things. So here's tailplane no.2...

Horizontal component is the usual 2part top and bottom. 

20240214_233532

The lug which fits into the fuselage slot is on the top part only and the slot itself is indeed offset upwards to allow for this. The elevator parts need to come off while leaving the lug intact.

20240215_180034

The easy way to achieve separation is straight across and then take the triangles off the ends of the elevators. Here's the full deconstruction...

20240215_175549

Then it all goes back together again. Fixed tailplane in its slot, then the vertical unit goes on the outer end.

The 2 little triangle pieces go together and there is still a slot between the parts which fits back in position. Here it is, Ready to go...

20240215_181930

....,And glued on...

20240215_182320

You can see a slight discrepancy on the triangle parts giving a step right where the elevator will fit. That will file away alright and a bit of clearance is needed to let the elevator into position. 

Definitely worth doing just one set at a time. There's a lot of small, similar pieces generated and they need to be paired back up quickly before mix-ups and chaos sets in  

Just the final elevator to tidy up and fit, along with the trim tabs, and the tail end is done ✔️ 🤩

• Like 11