F384P DeHavilland Beaver

MrB17

Ok, this WIP won’t be a very difficult build. It’s a FROG D.H.20 Beaver(The title in itself tells you how rare this is). It’s really a DHC-2 DeHavilland Beaver. The kit is 1/82 scale, so very small, it only comes with the wheeled landing gear. The glue capsule is still very fluid, so I plan on using it, however I have somehow misplaced my instruction sheet and decals. I am probably going to use a different paint scheme, because I already have a built up one that I found at a flea market.

Whoever built it had some skill, because it’s not painted, yet the fuselage seam is almost invisible. The plastic is 100% opaque and matches the illustration on the box top. I also built one myself when I was 7 and remembered the kit very well, I used the glue capsule back then as well. It was also unpainted except for the wheels and propeller, it’s long gone but now I have another kick at the can. It was my second kit, my first being the Lindberg F-80C in 1/96 scale. 

I am more than tickled to be able to add this to the GB. Believe it or not, all of the panel lines are recessed and very fine, including the spaced corrugations on the control surfaces. It is representative of a very early production Beaver, with the oil cooler under the fuselage between the landing gear struts and offset to port. There were no little round windows aft of the cabin doors. The Beaver depicted on the box was brought to the UK in 1949 as a demonstrator, it later flew in Africa and was last registered in Oklahoma in 2012.

I painted quite a few of these in 1/1 back in the 90’s, and the kit certainly looks pretty accurate in shape and outline.

Here is the start, with parts laid out. Notice the difference between the 3 glue capsules. I found this on EvilBay probably 15 years ago and it was a bargain at $10! There’s currently one up for auction, being sold out of Canada, and last time I checked there were 5 bids up to $35 US. 

IMG_7846

Below is the built one, because I didn’t build it, I felt uneasy about posting it in the inspiration gallery. It sure is a little sweetheart of a kit. The decals are a bit yellowed, not too bad for a kit one year younger than I.

IMG_7847

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by MrB17
Added information
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Wow, a blast from the past. I remember building it in my early teens, maybe even earlier! I still have a set of decals, which, if we still had a postal service I would gladly send you.

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I still have a set of decals, which, if we still had a postal service I would gladly send you.

Hi Colin,

if the postal service was the only thing that had disappeared to date south of the Limpopo, you'd be laughing.

We feel really sorry for you guys. It just took 5 days for our consignment to reach Louis Trichardt from Cape Town by courier! 

But we are not far behind you, and at least you have model shops in SA. Nothing here!

Cheers

JR

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, MrB17 said:

It’s a FROG D.H.20 Beaver(The title in itself tells you how rare this is). It’s really a DHC-2 DeHavilland Beaver. The kit is 1/82 scale,

Doing the  build/kit list this one puzzled me, and my copy of the Frog book is elsewhere at present,  I did some digging

https://www.scalemates.com/brands/comet--2426

Proper 1950's fit the box scale! 

Not included in the Comet listing on Scalemates

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-384p-dh20-beaver--162734

162734-c-17841-46-720.jpg

9 hours ago, MrB17 said:

however I have somehow misplaced my instruction sheet and decals.

even the instructions!

162734-35-instructions.jpg

9 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Whoever built it had some skill, because it’s not painted, yet the fuselage seam is almost invisible.

evidently followed the instructions!   Note comment on using glue sparingly and keeping away from external surfaces...

Fascinating project Jeff!   I'll @Adrian Hills  as he likes these odd scales and lived in Canada.  Also @Paul J

PS and how I could I forget @TonyW  !

These Frog Comet maybe worth a thread of their own.....  I have consulted our hosts on this...

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith
add PS
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all that @Troy Smith That will make things a little easier. I also found a complete page on this specific kit on https://www.frogmodelaircraft.co.uk/?page_id=1005

According to the author, the real paint scheme on G-ALOW was Maroon trim on polished metal. In looking at photos of the real thing on abc pics and the one on the above site, I would say it was Aluminium paint. The Beaver shown below it is a sister ship with polished aluminium and the difference is clear.

So I am going to try and do this one in the proper scheme as delivered. The stripes on the kit are very different from the real one as well. There are some nice photos here as well as a history.

https://dhc-2.com/id1094.htm

I am going to get on this today if all goes well.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I would say it was Aluminium paint.

Doesn't look like aluminium paint to me, which has a distinctive  'soft sheen' even in B/W photos.

It maybe worth asking the De Havilland museum,  as it was a demonstrator it may have been in house colours? 

various contact emails here

https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/contact/

archive might be the one. 

In searching this came up

https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-aviation/130559-de-havilland-blue-colour-match

"If you want an accurate 'DH' blue (The pale shade used in their literature.), you can do little better than get hold of an old original DH enamel badge, as these never fade."

a search turned up this

24373465188_e58f3b2753_c.jpg(DH) De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd company badge (1960’s or earlier) by Stuart, on Flickr

same thread mentions that possibly this is the colour DH60 Cirrus Moth, G-EBLV, is painted in. 

107299.jpeg?itok=o9AbbCof

this is alu dope and blue

Just a suggestion,  and perhaps the museum will know more,  

HTH

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Troy Smith While you were looking those up, I was looking at other references and I made this comparison photo. (below). The information from the DHC paint shop is not very complete. The notes written by the paint shop amounted to who painted what on what shift using first names only, and the paint was referred to by colour no codes. Colours such as Stearman Red, Stearman Green, Stearman Vermilion, Stearman Yellow and insignia Blue (not USAF). One of the painters quoted Aluminium Cellulose, while another quoted Silver Lacquer. These are essentially the same thing and I painted most of the floats I did with Aluminium Lacquer. It’s not a high gloss finish, more like a satin finish but tends to reflect the colour of the ambient light. 

Most of the painting we did (my youngest brother and I) was with linear polyurethane, polyurethane, urethane and rarely just plain old enamel and of course lacquer. From the notes, I gathered that lacquer was mostly used by DHC and the metal prep was made by Duco, (DuPont) with zinc chromate primer. There seems to have been issues with adhesion in the earliest notes, which doesn’t surprise me.

The process we used after stripping, started with a scrub down with gun wash (low grade lacquer thinner), then scrubbed with muriatic acid, alodine applied with water, primer then paint. We also used base clear as well as solid colour. I still have a half pint of Randolph aluminium paste, which could be added to clear dope or lacquer to make silver (aluminium paint or dope).

So after going through all of the other information regarding the colours, the maroon and polished metal noted on the site about G-ALOW and its time with Central African Airways is more in line with a repaint from the delivery scheme. CAA had a fleet of 9 Beavers, the trim stripes were different in design from G-ALOW and it seems each aircraft had a different colour trim stripe, such as maroon, dark green, dark blue etc. Originally they were primarily polished aluminium, and later on the top half of the fuselage was white.
So getting back to the original scheme is really going to be pure speculation, however I noticed that the metallic sheen akin to G-ALOW is usually just aluminium lacquer and can appear very different depending on the ambient light etc. I believe that silver seen in a blue or grey sky, is going to reflect that to some degree. The trim decals that FROG supplied were probably based on a different Beaver. DHC had some standard trim layouts that were used with many different colour combinations, many the same as G-ALOW. Most of the Ontario Provincial schemes were identical but yellow with black stripes. 

I am going to go with Silver and Blue trim, there is a darker outline visible on the registration and stripes as well. That could well be Stearman Vermilion, the colour combinations in those days were a bit strange. I’ve looked at a few hundred colour photos of Beavers around that same time period.

Anyway, thanks again @Troy Smith for your help, I know it takes time to research these things and you are definitely an asset to BM.

I had to sit my granddaughter for most of the day, so didn’t make a lot of progress, however I managed to slip my WNW kit past the guards undetected.

Woops, almost forgot the picture.

Untitled Artwork

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2024 at 6:22 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice Jeff

Have you had a chance to do any more since we last heard from you ?

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat, I thought I had replied to your message yesterday, but it seems to have ended up in the Twilight Zone. At least I have the photo still. So while I’m stripping the B-17, I did some dry fitting, puttying, sanding and filing, as well as installing the windows and painting a bit of the interior. The modified clipper ship sailor in the first picture, was too small, so I found a 1/96 sailor and did some reconstructive surgery. He fits better, but I think I have to file down his rump, so his head isn’t up in the ceiling. I drilled out the carburetor intake on the cowling and reshaped the profile. The cowling was moulded as a symmetrical conical shape, but the top of the cowling should be flatter, so the pilot can see over it. I removed a lot of plastic and also thinned out the inside afterwards. The stock cowling compared with my modified cowling, clearly shows the difference. I wet sanded the windows flat and polished them, but after masking and painting, they will get a coat of Future. The windshield doesn’t fit very well, but I should be able to fill the gaps. It’s not just two flat panes, the sides curve around, otherwise I might have used clear sheet. I am going to attempt printing decals with my inkjet. I used to have an ALPS, but sold it after I was getting swamped with requests. Sometimes it’s just better to say nothing. 😉 The model base colour is going to be fine metallic silver with a bit of white added, so hopefully the decals will not look too translucent. Probably dark blue with vermillion outlines. The wing registration letters are quite large and are on top and underside. I might scribe a few extra lines, FROG missed the gap between the rudder and fin, so at least that one.

IMG_0178 FROG B FROG B FROG Beaver

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 13

Crickey... how did I miss this thread? 

What a good looking little Beaver kit, looks like something that can be easily built up in very quick fashion. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

I missed it as well. I can't remember seeing this kit before, And I thought I knew most of the FROG range.

Mind you, if I did see it back in the day, I probably ignored it if it didn't have guns or bombs!         

What a lovely little thing. 

It will be nice to see the final result. Well done,Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More progress today, painted the pilot figure, put in the windows, glued the interior in and the fuselage together. A little dry fitting to check alignment and fit. Not too bad, with minimal putty. The clear parts are looking very clear, and that’s with Future on the inside only. I have to trim the sides of the windscreen, and polish and then Future on the outside, after it’s all painted. Dry fit it all together for the photo. Might have it in paint tomorrow!

FROG Beaver FROG Beaver FROG Beaver

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have been out of it for a while, I was struggling with getting my decals designed and printed for the Beaver. I don’t have any of my Adobe stuff available right now, so I had to search out a font and figure out how to make the patterns for the stripes, using Procreate on my IPad. I made kabuki tape patterns, and scanned them to make sure they would all fit. I came up with a custom colour using Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue, X-28 Park Green, X-8 Lemon Yellow, a bit of X-1 Black and X-2 White. It then took a lot of tweaking with CMYK to match the paint. The photos of the decals look different than they really are, it’s more of a teal colour. I am still not sure if I will paint the stripes and cowling, or do it all with decals. The outline is a darker shade of the main colour and I made extra stripes as well.

I am happy with the colour match, and just have to put a few coats of liquid decal film on, before I try them out. I ended up scratching some hinges for the flaps, and the ailerons as well as the aileron counterbalance. Having worked with real Beavers, the wings looked naked without them and with the deflected control surfaces especially. I banged my head on those counterbalance weights a few times, so they were hard to forget. I scratched an exhaust like the one in the photos of G-ALOW, there’s a lot of variation when it comes to Beavers, so having photos of the actual aircraft is useful.
I sprayed two coats of Model Master aluminium lacquer, it is very fine and doesn’t have the out of scale sparkle of some other brands. I have Alclad II, but the MM doesn’t require a black base. 
The grandkids are back from Oz, so It might be a bit longer, but it’s on final.

FROG Beaver FROG Beaver

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 10

Getting very close to finished! Just need to clear coat and assemble and it’s off to the gallery. I decided to jazz up the stand a bit too. I painted the underside with my BOAC Blue custom mix, I thought it would make a nice background for the gold logo. Pretty easy to do, I just slopped in the gold and when dry, I wet sanded and polished the clear plastic. Has anyone else noticed that the FROG logo looks like a winged ice cream cone?
I also had to make another custom mix of Tamiya clear blue and clear green, to match the inkjet printed decals, they were transparent and the aluminium base coat made them look metallic. I only needed to paint the cowling and the wheels, everything else is decals. 
I threw in a photo of my Humbrol HU15 tinted with black and for the benefit of @Ventora3300 the HU104 Oxford Blue for comparison, beside the FROG stand painted with the tinted HU15 underneath the clear plastic. The first photo, the colour is way off due to lighting, it’s much deeper.
I hope to have this in the gallery by the weekend and continue with the FROG B-17E next week.

FROG Beaver FROG Beaver

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks @MrB17 - that tinted Hu 15 is definitely ‘BOAC’. Your stand looks brilliant and so will the Beaver when it is sitting atop it! Well done. Regards, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from the excellent progress on the model I think the stand looks amazing. Will try something similar, maybe black background and silver lining for my Blenheim 

• Like 2

What an u usual scale and lovely kit! And a nice wee trip down memory lane for you, Jeff. You're making a great job of it too 🥇

Gavin.

• Thanks 1

Well I think I am done with this one. This is my first completed GB, it’s been very enjoyable and adding a few extra things has made it worthwhile. This was my first attempt at inkjet decals, and the results were pleasing, especially the metallic finish of the blue. Here’s a last look before she goes up on the stand for the gallery.

FROG Beaver

Gallery: 

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 7

Hi Jeff. That has come out well. I will try and resist the urge to say something crass, like 'nice beaver'...ohh. Sorry. It had to be done, and I'm usually the one what does it.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Haha 1

I like your comment in the gallery - ‘although this is a rare kit it deserved to be built’. I throughly agree with you, kits like this aren’t to be shuffled around in boxes from one collector to another. By building it (Very Well) and showing us you have shown just how interesting these old kits are. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1