F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 - update 01may24 decals on

Hi all, 

I am setting out a place holder for the first of my Thunder builds. Tomorrow I hope to get get some photos posted but for now my thread is to bolster the line-up and to add a further nation to the international list. 

This machine remained in its Arctic red markings for its initial period of Greek service and so adds a little more colour to the otherwise plain F-84Fs of that air arm.

The kit will be the Special Hobby while the decals will come from Icarus. In 1/72, of course!

Back soon!

Martin

Edit:

Here are a few images to support my thread. The SH kit seems to have been illustrated adequately already so I have left that to others. However, this is what I am planning

greek1

Greek3

I have a couple of reference images, kindly supplied by Christos Papathanasiou (Icarus), sadly now passed away. Here is one

Greek2

I'm eager to get going now, finishing (I hope) the Invader and also running a Mustang in parallel to the F-84. :)

Martin

• Like 12

Nice one Martin, as expected ('cos you already told us), nice to have a Greek example and a very colourful aircraft at that.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 (updated)
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I have made a start on F-84F No.1! Having failed in my logistical task to get everything I need together for the Mustang, and while awaiting paints from Colourcoats for it too, I decided that I will never make the F-84 GB closing date if I dont get my finger out. So, today it was out with the sprue cutters and sanding sticks and on with the first small steps towards getting this kit together. As others have said it looks and feels like a triumph in moulding terms and seems to cover pretty much every need a F-84F would need apart from the 230 gallon tanks and .... tongue in cheek .... a RATO cradle ;). As I say, it is small steps so  far but the starting gun has sounded and I am underway! :). I am trying to resist the temptation to add any more detail, asking myself whether it really needs it! If I discover anythign that doesn't require the devotion of hours of work I might ;). As you can see, I've yet to get any paint on but will do this after a light blast of Mr Surfacer 1500.

greek4

I have a couple of questions in my mind:

1. the cockpit colour? I reckon FS36231 Dark Gull Gray for this machine which was delivered to Greece in 1958. 

2. the seat? I'm inclined to go with the kit offering for a USAF machine from this era (parts C1,C6, C11, C13 and C14). 

Back soon!

Martin

• Like 5

• RidgeRunner changed the title to F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 started

Good afternoon Martin 

Sorry I won't be able to help you for the  cockpit colour neither for the ejection seat model as I am not an expert of the Streak .but I am quite sure that someone else will have the answers  ..

Best regards 

Patrice 

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Today I have made a start on F-84F No.1! Having failed in my logistical task to get everything I need together for the Mustang, and while awaiting paints from Colourcoats for it too, I decided that I will never make the F-84 GB closing date if I dont get my finger out. So, today it was out with the sprue cutters and sanding sticks and on with the first small steps towards getting this kit together. As others have said it looks and feels like a triumph in moulding terms and seems to cover pretty much every need a F-84F would need apart from the 230 gallon tanks and .... tongue in cheek .... a RATO cradle ;). As I say, it is small steps so  far but the starting gun has sounded and I am underway! :). I am trying to resist the temptation to add any more detail, asking myself whether it really needs it! If I discover anythign that doesn't require the devotion of hours of work I might ;). As you can see, I've yet to get any paint on but will do this after a light blast of Mr Surfacer 1500.

greek4

I have a couple of questions in my mind:

1. the cockpit colour? I reckon FS36231 Dark Gull Gray for this machine which was delivered to Greece in 1958. 

2. the seat? I'm inclined to go with the kit offering for a USAF machine from this era (parts C1,C6, C11, C13 and C14). 

Back soon!

Martin

Martin,

According to the Icarus decal sheet, Greek F84Fs with serials starting with 26 (e.g. 26926), the cockpits were interior green and were fitted with the early seat (kit parts C1, C6, C11, C13 and C14). The seat would also be interior green with a red headrest.

As the aircraft is early in its career, I would go with that.

A tell-tale for the early seat is the deflector behind the headrest but facing rearwards at an angle of approximately 45°.  I can just make it out in the photo in your first post.

I think the area behind the windows behind the cockpit is black on the interior green aircraft.

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Martin,

According to the Icarus decal sheet, Greek F84Fs with serials starting with 26 (e.g. 26926), the cockpits were interior green and were fitted with the early seat (kit parts C1, C6, C11, C13 and C14). The seat would also be interior green with a red headrest.

As the aircraft is early in its career, I would go with that.

A tell-tale for the early seat is the deflector behind the headrest but facing rearwards at an angle of approximately 45°.  I can just make it out in the photo in your first post.

I think the area behind the windows behind the cockpit is black on the interior green aircraft.

You're a star, Wez! Thanks. Thanks too Patrice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

According to the Icarus decal sheet, Greek F84Fs with serials starting with 26 (e.g. 26926), the cockpits were interior green and were fitted with the early seat (kit parts C1, C6, C11, C13 and C14).

Lesson for the day - look harder! ;)

Hmm.... Looking at this colour image of ‘streaks early in their Greek career it appears to me that the inner canopy frame was grey, as was the section behind the quarter lights. However, the inner face of the main wheel door that can be seen shows as “olive” green when I drop it in to Photoshop. Could they have had green interiors and seat but a grey canopy frame? I’ll be loading the airbrush on Wednesday to tackle these so I’d value the further thoughts of the collective :). 

51AD50CD-4973-4CE5-8265-783ECFD79FBA

Thanks everyone, Martin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hmm.... Looking at this colour image of ‘streaks early in their Greek career it appears to me that the inner canopy frame was grey, as was the section behind the quarter lights. However, the inner face of the main wheel door that can be seen shows as “olive” green when I drop it in to Photoshop. Could they have had green interiors and seat but a grey canopy frame?

It could be possible, a robbed canopy but, the area in the quarterlights (the windows behind the canopy), is also IMO, grey, so it would appear that the cockpit in 26828 is grey.  This undermines the statement on the Icarus Decals instructions that aircraft serialled 26xxx had green cockpits and the early seat, plainly 26828 didn't get the memo.  That said, I still think that 26926 had a green cockpit based upon the deflector plate behind the ejection seat headrest.

In the photo of the first aircraft, the pilot is looking around at the groundcrewman on the wing (probably haranguing the poor chap because his jet has gone u/s and he can't go punching holes in the wide blue yonder).  You can see the tinted visor on his helmet but the shape is elongated, like a beak, but I think that it's the visor merging with the shadow of the backwards facing deflector on the original style seat (see Editions Minimonde76 page 80, top left for a picture).  The later seat didn't have this deflector.  The early seat is equated with the green cockpit, the later seat the grey cockpit.  That's why I think your subject aircraft had a green cockpit (for the avoidance of doubt here I'm only talking about the early/late Republic seats, not the retro-fitted Martin Baker seats).

The Editions MiniMonde76 shows extracts from the TMs showing black consoles up to Block 60 airframes and grey consoles from block 60, 52-6929 (to give it its full serial), is a Block -55RE aircraft so logically, on the basis presented in the Editions MiniMonde76 book it should have a green cockpit.  On the other hand, 52-6828 is a Block -50RE aircraft and should also have a green cockpit but based on the evidence in your photo, it has a grey cockpit.  This is a good example of why you should always go by photos of your subject.

I don't think you can rely on the Block numbers, photos of FU-52, the subject for my Belgian F-84F is a -56RE aircraft and they show a grey cockpit and the later seat, yet French aircraft which have later serial numbers but come from the -41GK/-46GK/-51GK Blocks all appear to have green cockpits (and earlier seats).  It's a minefield!

Given the delivery dates of these aircraft I don't believe they would have accumulated sufficient hours to have gone through a major overhaul which is about the only time you'd want to contemplate repainting the cockpit (because it would have been stripped), so I think the colours are as delivered.

In summary, 26926 = early seat, green cockpit; 26828 = grey cockpit. later seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another subject. I have realised is that the nose bands on the Icarus sheet are straight despite needing to be applied to a curved surface. I will therefore paint these. Also - and I did already know this one - I will need to draw and print the serial number decals. The Icarus sheet has these on a NMF background which won't match with the overall light aluminium of the remainder of the aircraft. 

Paint on! I've gone with Interior Green for the cockpit and seat. I have also now given the jet pipe a blast of metals (H27002 and 27002/3 mix). It is nothing any different from what you other SH builders have done at this stage. 

Greek8

I have also drawn the serial in Photoshop in readiness for the arrival of a new clear decal sheet pack from the Eauction site. I have actually taken a hi res scan of the decal and eliminated the metallic background.

Back soon.

Martin 

• Like 6

• RidgeRunner changed the title to F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 - update 14/02/24

A little more done today. Firstly the mainwheel well walls are installed - be sure to note the part number and install correctly on each side. I also fitted the AAR hatch. As has been said before by @Wez, and maybe others, the hatch is much thinner than the depth of the receiving well. I packed it out with suitable card bits. If you dont it could sit either sunk or proud of the surrounding surface.

I have to say that I find it odd that SH opted to include an opening AAR hatch, when they were rarely open on the ground, but don’t offer open speed brakes :(. 

Greek10

No photos, but my painting of the cockpit has continued. When done I will shoot a couple of shots and post.

Martin

• Like 6

• RidgeRunner changed the title to F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 - update 15/02/24

A bit more done but really it is nothing that others haven't already seen or done. 

I got the cockpit painted and dry brushed. The IP decal seemed pretty good. The control column, seat and gun sight glazing will go in later. This was then installed. I opted to remove the vertical locating lugs on one side because the fine tolerances meant that I couldn't get the fuselage closed up. The cockpit kept catching on the L-sections. Only the horizontals we left for stability.  

The jet pipe was then installed. For this you must get itto sit in the two locating holes with the end sat on the small protrusion to one side. This then keeps it all centralised. 

After that the intake section was installed. A perfect fit! A word of warning to any who haven't got to this kit yet - it has very, very fine tolerances on just about every part so make sure each mating surface is cleaned thoroughly.

Then, when all that was solid (I used CA primarily) I got the fuselage halves together, cementing small sections of join, one after the other to ensure the best matching. 🤞 Oh, I forgot - I added weight behind the cockpit! The instuctions say 5g but I went a bit heavier to be sure :).

And that's it for today!  I've been cleaning and priming the Mustang and have run out of time! :(

Greek15

Martin

• Like 7

A little more done today:

Greek16

Greek17

No real issues with assembly. It seems to go together on its own .... so far!!! The only issue was my fumbling - letting Extra Thin Cement flow out a little here and there.

Martin

Edit: in order to get the correct “sit” I will be setting the tailplane on a metal rod to allow it to hinge and to also add strength. It looks so weak as offered by the kit.

• Like 8

• RidgeRunner changed the title to F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 - update 22/02/24
2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Coming along nicely Martin this family of SH kits certainly are well represented in the GB.

They are, Steve, and it is great that they are because they are superb. :) I just want to be building more of them. I have more in my mind - Dutch target tug, a German NMF/or maybe a Jabo-33 machine and, if I am brave, a SH F-84F/Sword RF-84F butchery job to produce a Norse NMF :). I also want to build a ANG (maybe Virginia) short fin too. Oh, and I have decals from @stevehnz for a Belgian machine.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 3:30 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Edit: in order to get the correct “sit” I will be setting the tailplane on a metal rod to allow it to hinge and to also add strength. It looks so weak as offered by the kit.

Also I will mask the intake before adding the intake shroud because the inner is a different metal to the outer, which is two tones of darker metal. 

• Like 1