Jump to content

1/32 Vickers Vildebeest 3D Printing/scratchbuilding


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

Here we are following on from the 1/32 Malta Gladiator by far my best build so far. With the next build, I've decided to do something more challenging, creating an almost extinct inter-war torpedo bomber in a scale never seen before...

 

I give you the 1/32 Vickers Vildebeest, this aircraft was a design that first flew in the late 20s and managed to cling on until the early parts of WW2. It's a all metal structure bi-plane covered in fabric and from a CAD design point of view a head-scratcher... as very little info remained from that period hardly any drawings survived and only two fuselages both in NZ survived one Vildebeest and one Vincent.

 

so I started designing the fuselage around 2 years ago mucking about with line drawings off Google and managed to get a basic representation of the shape i have now improved this into something I'm happy with, 3d printed resin is great for detail but can warp, it is very fin so that has been something i have had to design around. after already printing my original fuselage and not being happy with the results I redesigned the fuselage and got a 1/72 special hobby kit for reference and to check scales which to my surprize were pretty good!!

 

 

spacer.png

this image shows the scale of the vildebeest very large for a single-engined aircraft 

 

spacer.png

CAD Model of the RH fuselage size prior to being sectioned for printing.

spacer.png

Here are the prints of both halfs ready to have supports removed and assembled.

53472488653_9ca49aaf59_o.jpg

first mockup with the engine (Bristol pegasus from Vector resin).

 

spacer.png

First print of the floor.

 

spacer.png

A lot of work is required yet I'm currently trying to get the interior and cockpit complete and fuselage glued before the exterior gets a lot of attention.

 

spacer.png

The fuselage frame is constructed from styrene rod with 3d printed fixings.

 

spacer.png

Some of my hall from Telford included airscale PE and decals which should make it all come together.

 

spacer.png

small prints such as levers and bellcranks are visible from the side windows so I have modelled them this print wasn't perfect but the parts were useable.

 

spacer.png

thanks to a generous member of my local model club (Thanks Simon) for lending me some images and info he had for this aircraft one of the most valuable items was a rare instrument panel drawing which I have modelled will be improved with the airscale goodies, the extra bit at the top is due to the different profile of my fuselage but this should be hidden once the model is complete.

 

If anyone has any questions I'm always willing to try and answer them the best I can.

 

Thanks 

James

 

  • Like 24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brilliant - I love the Vildebeest and have a 1/72 Contrail vacform, suitably 'tweaked' in my display cabinet. This, however, is in a different league! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your progress.

Jon

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic project. I wish you good luck!

Please have a look here and in the associated links for inspiration. Some parts have been repeatedly represented incorrectly by drawings and kits, I hope you can avoid repeating the errors.

 

 

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh my word!!  Awesome!

Let me know if I can help....Its a 30min drive but am happy to help if I can!

Wq0c6s.jpg

 

EXhjKr.jpg

 

Cheers Anthony

Wow, thanks Anthony currently working on the fuselage frame so any photos of the frame would be incredibly useful as trying to find photos and reference photos are really difficult that would be a massive help!! 
 

love your work on the phantom btw!

 

thanks James 

Edited by Jamesmodels
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a fantastic challenge you have set yourself James!
I’m gobsmacked by the frame structure with the printed fittings.  In fact everything you’ve done so far is amazing….. I will tag along if that’s OK?
 

Best wishes 

Dave

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jamesmodels said:

Wow, thanks Antony currently working on the fuselage frame so any photos of the frame would be incredibly useful as trying to find photos and reference photos are really difficult that would be a massive help!! 
 

love your work on the phantom btw!

 

thanks James 

No worries James, I will send you a PM

Thanks for the Phantom compliment...she's testing my nerves right now LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This looks very interesting, think I'll tag along!

Is there a reason you mounted all the small parts on a large printed sheet? That must cause enormous suction issues and possible distortion. Maybe some large holes in the sheet between parts to both save resin and reduce suction/increase print quality?

 

Ian

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great project.  This is actually an airframe I considered modeling after I did the Wapiti & 504, but in 1/48 scale, but never got around to it. It's nice to see someone take up the mantle.

1/32 gives plenty of scope for fine detail so this should be a stunner.  I'll tag along as soon as Ian gets the beers in

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

 

Quick update ive been busy designing and printing some of the main instrument panels and radios for the Vildebeest.

 

spacer.png

Resin printed plus airscale photo etch details to finish off ready for paint and decals.

spacer.png

Long and short wave radios looking at the cutaway drawing i have which is the most accurate idea of what was inside a vildebeest in period.

spacer.png

The pilots and bomb aimers instrument panels were designed using a copy of a original drawing from a fellow modeller from my local club.

spacer.png

Location of the short wave radio just behind the navigator/bomb aimer.

 

Thanks

James

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

truly epic :)

 

So many things to love about this build - unbridled ambition, consumate skill and I just get a huge thrill seeing customers enjoying my stuff :)

 

bravo

 

Peter

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my favourite aircraft types. This model is epic. My friend Kerry Carlyle has been planning to do the same thing, we even measured up the Vincent and got loads of photos. I guess he will have to make his 1/24th now. Haha.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 10:35 AM, Jamesmodels said:

spacer.png

this image shows the scale of the vildebeest very large for a single-engined aircraft 

 

 

 

Just a historical point, aircraft in the photo are in fact Vickers Vincents, of the Air Gunners and Air Observer's School at RNZAF Station Ohakea, in 1940.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/01/2024 at 09:18, Dave Homewood said:

 

Just a historical point, aircraft in the photo are in fact Vickers Vincents, of the Air Gunners and Air Observer's School at RNZAF Station Ohakea, in 1940.

It was only a picture to illustrate what the aircraft will look like, still unsure on the final scheme.

 

I’ve been chatting to Anthony on here who also knows Kerry, the vildebeest/vincent family is quite under represented in the model world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sure is under-represented, and under-appreciated. They were superb aeroplanes. I have had the privilege to interview a number of RNZAF aircrew who flew in them and groundcrew who serviced them... all now long since dead. They loved them. Pilots all described them as flying "Just like a big Tiger Moth". Most do not realise they were capable of aerobatics. 

 

I am friends with Steve Subritzky who owns and has been restoring the Vincent. Back in March 2015 he invited me to sit in the cockpit, what a privilege that was! I took a load of photos. It's probably a lot more complete now, nearly nine years later, but these details may help you with your model, hopefully.

 

spacer.png

Me in the cockpit.

 

spacer.png

Me in the Vincent and Steve Subritzky on the stand beside it.

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

And to finish off, a photo I colourised a few years back showing No. 3 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron Vildebeests over the Canterbury Coast, New Zealand.

 

spacer.png

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dave Homewood said:

It sure is under-represented, and under-appreciated. They were superb aeroplanes. I have had the privilege to interview a number of RNZAF aircrew who flew in them and groundcrew who serviced them... all now long since dead. They loved them. Pilots all described them as flying "Just like a big Tiger Moth". Most do not realise they were capable of aerobatics. 

 

I am friends with Steve Subritzky who owns and has been restoring the Vincent. Back in March 2015 he invited me to sit in the cockpit, what a privilege that was! I took a load of photos. It's probably a lot more complete now, nearly nine years later, but these details may help you with your model, hopefully.

 

spacer.png

Me in the cockpit.

 

spacer.png

Me in the Vincent and Steve Subritzky on the stand beside it.

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

And to finish off, a photo I colourised a few years back showing No. 3 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron Vildebeests over the Canterbury Coast, New Zealand.

 

spacer.png

 

Wow thanks Dave 

 

you NZ folk sure are awesome

 

the amount of help I’ve received between you and Anthony has been amazing.

 

hope I can do you guys proud with the completed model!!

 

James

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...