F.140 Vickers Super VC10 (with Special Feature Flashing Lights)

On 5/13/2024 at 10:10 AM, AdrianMF said:

Let's hope the VC10 recovery goes well.

Just one thing - can we have a ten minute warning before the knees picture so we can all have a wee dram to fortify ourselves?

I'm not a whisky drinker but sometimes needs must...

Regards,

Adrian

Is a wee dram going to be enough? Once seen can scare a memory for life . 

Martin H

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Any news Mike ?

Well, I've painted the wings with just some aluminium required on the 'inside' surfaces which will be visible when the flaps are deployed etc. I might need some detail inside the wheel wells. I'm still deciding whether to have the slots in the 'out' position but that will need the two pivots extended with some plastic card. Also the missing wing fences (three per wing) need to be made up and glued on and missing fuel dump pipes attached to the outermost flap rail on each wing. Clear lenses for wing landing lights are in (clipped from clear sprue plus a dab of Clearfix). 

PvITX6P.jpg

Undercarriage legs have the wheels on and hub ends melted with the heated blunt end of a small drill bit, to avoid marking the tyres with a hot knife - this produced a 'reversed dish' effect! Some chrome painted on the undercarriage legs for the oleo sections. 

The tailplane is painted and the engine pods painted after being 'sculpted' to smooth out the irregularities from the poorly aligned parts.

Engine turbines are silver, dry-brushed with a little steel. I tried to mask the forward lips for painting silver but could not get the tape to bend around the tight radius - ended up using a Sharpie felt pen with a large soft nib. The rear of the engine cowlings have a 'steel' section which continues onto the insides of the 'beaver' tails - another masking nightmare that no doubt I will re-visit for touch up many times. The paint on the inner edge of the engine nacelle supports needed sanded back again so they will fit into the slots in the rear fuselage. I'm looking around for something to cut and stick on to represent the thrust reversers - I'm going for the full set of eight - and the current idea is to make up some home made decals on clear paper.

1AOtMuu.jpg

Here is a tantalising lower view of the fuselage all closed up with the rudder on. The seam has 'disappeared' OK and the bulb carrier section wrestled into place - once the wires are in and everything closed up for the final time, I think I'll be running some PPP around it. I managed to get some Tamiya Clear Red and Green for the wingtip nav lights and the flashing beacon to be fitted to the underside.

aC74LJa.jpg

Here is the top view of the fuselage, keeping the still to be repaired 'BOAC Blue' cheatlines out of sight for the moment. After several goes with masking tape, T-Cut, wet'n'dry sandpaper and resprays with white, it looks like the seam has disappeared but I think you can still see some of the edge produced by the runs of masking tape when looking from a certain angle. The only good news is that the two tiny Union Jacks at the forward end are still intact! 

P0Xd50Y.jpg

Now I need to grit my teeth for the final bit of masking and re-application of BOAC Blue on the fuselage sides.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This was always going to be a long grind Mike and I know you’re probably looking at your large Classic Airfix stash as well! Keep going mate, it will be all justifiably deserved. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2024 at 11:37, JOCKNEY said:

Keep going mate the end result will be worth it :like:

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, much appreciated.

On 03/06/2024 at 23:50, Rabbit Leader said:

This was always going to be a long grind Mike and I know you’re probably looking at your large Classic Airfix stash as well! Keep going mate, it will be all justifiably deserved. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, don't dangle Airfix in front of me just yet!  Why did I say I was going to do the Boeing 707 from 1963? - seemed like a good idea at the time......

On 05/06/2024 at 08:46, AdrianMF said:

Hard pounding but it's looking good!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Don't zoom in too closely just yet!

Had a day to myself today so added the fuel dump pipes to the wings, added a bit of detail to the wheel wells and have extended the tabs on the slots, which will be cut back to let them hang out at the correct angle.

IJvmFSq.jpg

And a lot of re-visits / re-masking later, the fuselage is emerging again. It'll look OK after a final trim, maybe even a T-Cut and under a varnish coat - honest! I need to print some home made 'BOAC' lettering to replace that which has gone from the starboard side but is 99% still there on the port. Windows still to check for stray paint. Another piece of good news is that the cockpit coaming seems to have come out OK.

wxgdWo6.jpg

6ovkQ9k.jpg

• Like 8

Coming along nicely Mike. I’ve been finding when building these vintage kits, Murphy’s Law seems to come into play quite a bit. What kept me going was the support from other modellers here. So I think you’ve managed to keep things under control very well and I expect that you're on the downwind leg now and only need to turn base and final, and you’ll be there. It’s getting exciting now.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Coming along nicely Mike. I’ve been finding when building these vintage kits, Murphy’s Law seems to come into play quite a bit. What kept me going was the support from other modellers here. So I think you’ve managed to keep things under control very well and I expect that you're on the downwind leg now and only need to turn base and final, and you’ll be there. It’s getting exciting now.

Cheers

Jeff

Many thanks for that, Jeff. ‘Murphy’ is my constant companion now on this build - he has more time for me since you finished your excellent B-17! Congratulations on that one!

Progressing on the VC-10 with the power wires threaded through the small hole in the underside now. I thought I would solve the problem of the fiddly wrapping of wires around the terminal screws by crimping on small ring connectors. After spending a couple of hours doing that and trying to wrestle the whole gubbins inside the fuselage, I had to admit defeat due to the tight space available and return to stripping the wire ends and hooking them around the screws. The 'bulb pack' is now ready to fit to the fuselage and I've made up the last bit of screening for the flashing bulb by rolling a paper tube lined with silver foil around a felt pen and glued with PVA a la @AdrianMF. The wing light tubes are taped in place so that they are are at the correct angle inside the fuselage to let the bulb pack clip in.

siXPZRN.jpg

Here is the paper/foil tube, split to 'hug' the lower red flashing beacon base, and glued in ready for close up.

0IHWHy4.jpg

The bulb pack is clipped in (I see that the sink marks I filled are still showing) and the tailplane is on. The moveable rudder was a bit too loose so it is glued in place now.

tAdXdh7.jpg

Engine pods are in, with a bit of a struggle on the port side which smudged the paint, and the lower wing halves glued in to allow the wing navigation light tubes to be set in position and the undercarriage legs to go in. The kitchen roll came in handy to let them set!

WpWFDf9.jpg

Up on the stand now and it sits OK and can rotate a bit. You can see the wing nav light tubes are not falling naturally into place so will need to be anchored down, and hopefully 'connect' with the wing landing light lenses I put in, before the wing top surfaces go on.

.ANoJVs7.jpg

We're getting there!

lyj9mno.jpg

• Like 10

That is starting to look very like a VC-10. Marvellous!

Regards,

Adrian

PS seeing all the fruit in the background reminds me that you could power it by wrapping the wires round a copper nail and an iron nail, and sticking them both into a lemon! Possibly not popular with the "kitchen staff" - it wasn't when I tried it back in the 1960s...

• Haha 2

Crikey, what a great build. Can't help wondering how many got finished back in the day due to the complexity?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Crikey, what a great build. Can't help wondering how many got finished back in the day due to the complexity?

Probably none! I think the collectors have won out on this one. However, further back in the thread, @Paul J and @theplasticsurgeon plus swearing Dad have built one - I feel their pain!

• Like 1

On 08/06/2024 at 20:53, AdrianMF said:

That is starting to look very like a VC-10. Marvellous!

Thanks Adrian, that means it must be getting near completion....please...!

A frenzied bit of activity yesterday with numerous surreptitious (def: kept secret, especially because it would not be approved of) visits to the loft (the stairs up to there creak loudly). Wing nav light tubes pulled out to show at the wing tips, glued in place and left to set. (The tube on the port wing was under a bit of pressure and actually broke as I assembled the wing upper surface later. Ho hum). A couple of pieces of painted packing a la @Rabbit Leader set behind the intakes in the wing leading edges and silver applied to all the surfaces which get revealed when the flaps and slats move out. Also wheel wells and inside of the undercarriage doors painted silver.

sxo7ZvP.jpg

Some time later, the main wing upper surfaces went on with tape to hold tight but the flaps and main undercarriage legs had to go in at the same time to be 'trapped' in place. The main undercarriage legs can rotate in their fixings hence the 'dead bug position' to allow glue setting in the right position. Front undercarriage leg is in and this is especially delicate.

wt1qVkV.jpg

Fabrication of wing fences in progress - my reference pics show one large and two small fences on each wing. I used the 'moulding profile comb to get the shapes but a lot of trimming /sculpting and sanding once in place is expected. Also blade aerials being made up. Before anyone asks, vortex generators are out!

etjJ8PC.jpg

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Finished the Frog Super VC10. Wing slats are on, undercarriage support struts and doors are on and the transfers are on, most of which started to break up once on the aircraft. Cockpit windscreen is in after a final fiddle about which removed all the masked frames so has to be touched in again by hand.

LHHYNxb.jpg

The lower beacon flashes but not the tail one and the light doesn't reach the wing or tail lights. That bulb carrier needs a final press in and seams putttied but I'm putting it away for now - no more time since I'm off on holiday tomorrow! Thanks to all for the encouragement along the way and @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader for hosting.

JOXZKeM.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 12

Wow! It looks fantastic all lit up and with the box art. What a journey this has been, and it looks amazing now.

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Wow! Amazing job, and perfectly timed for your hols. The lights look good and you did a splendid job getting any of them to work! I wonder if anyone got the wingtip lights to work...

It's a classic plane and a classic colour scheme and a great oddball model to have in the GB.

Enjoy your hols...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Fantastic Mike! A super VC10. :goodjob:

Will we get any 'night flight' photos? :D

Regards,

Charlie

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your kind comments. I did have a look at the ‘flashing lights’ with the loft in complete darkness and there was a feeble flash from the red beacon on the tail which I couldn’t see in daylight. The cabin windows were as expected - brighter at the front and dimmer at the back. Still no sign of life from the wingtip nav lights- maybe the Tamiya clear red and green paint is too opaque. The  cockpit lighting worked out well with a blue glow from there. I’ll have a go at a clean up and a dusk landing later in the year.

• Like 1