F.140 Vickers Super VC10 (with Special Feature Flashing Lights)

On 3/14/2024 at 1:18 PM, Ventora3300 said:

still depends how closely you look at them.

I always find "from a distance" is optimal myself, Mike 😎

Seriously though, it's coming on great 🥇

Gavin.

• Thanks 1

Looks very sharp - good use of the window fragments!

I'd echo Steve's comments about black. It turns the blue very dark very quickly.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking very smart indeed! You’ve put a lot of work into this project and done it very nicely.
Not to sound like a broken record, but the darkening of the HU15 midnight blue didn’t take much black to swing it around. I used to have one of those humongous fiberglass display models of a BOAC 747 and had to touch up the dark blue before I donated it to the local museum. I still have the tinlet, so I have to get a vintage BOAC something to use it on. 
I’m going to visit the local flag shop, so I can hoist the Union Jack when you’re finished.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Apologies for not checking in for a while Mike. You’re doing great work on this complicated project, however all this work will really pay off big dividends in the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/04/2024 at 13:42, PeterB said:

I can remember modifying my Airfix 1/144 kit to BOAC Cunard livery which involved a little repainting and I don't seem to remember having problems matching the blue - back then I was just using Humbrol paint so I guess I used Midnight Blue with a touch of Black.

Pete

Thanks for that encouragement, Pete. I think it will probably be trial and error.

On 05/04/2024 at 11:47, Nerazzurri said:

I always find "from a distance" is optimal myself, Mike 😎

Seriously though, it's coming on great 🥇

Gavin.

...but these camera pics are merciless! Thanks for the encouragement, Gavin.

On 06/04/2024 at 12:35, AdrianMF said:

Looks very sharp - good use of the window fragments!

I'd echo Steve's comments about black. It turns the blue very dark very quickly.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. The transfer fragments seemed to be a good idea but you can't distinguish between them and the base colour when pushing them in place. More luck than judgement, I'm afraid. Keep your fingers crossed for the fuselage seam painting!!

On 06/04/2024 at 19:05, MrB17 said:

Looking very smart indeed! You’ve put a lot of work into this project and done it very nicely.
Not to sound like a broken record, but the darkening of the HU15 midnight blue didn’t take much black to swing it around. I used to have one of those humongous fiberglass display models of a BOAC 747 and had to touch up the dark blue before I donated it to the local museum. I still have the tinlet, so I have to get a vintage BOAC something to use it on. 
I’m going to visit the local flag shop, so I can hoist the Union Jack when you’re finished.

Thanks, Jeff. Hu 15 is getting the most votes but I will have to wait until Mrs. V is out at work before dashing out to see if I can lay my hands on some. The dog is due a trip out tomorrow...!

On 07/04/2024 at 12:38, Rabbit Leader said:

Apologies for not checking in for a while Mike. You’re doing great work on this complicated project, however all this work will really pay off big dividends in the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

(Don't be daft!) Thanks Dave and hopefully it will start to speed up a bit now with the windows going in. 

7 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Looking great . Good luck with blue match 

Martin H

Thanks Martin. The key to good touch up matching will be to keep it to the bare minimum and I'm looking for my thinnest brush. Someone recommended SMS detail brushes somewhere so I'm keeping an eye out for them.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

On 04/04/2024 at 07:59, stevehnz said:

Don't underestimate what difference a bit of black can make. I'd start with the blue & add just a drop or two & go from there. Black has a very powerful effect. Looking at a couple of old threads from here & here, apart from Hu15, Revell 54 also comes in for a positive mention.

Steve.

Thanks for those links, Steve, really informative. Also, I'm now wondering if I could get away with using my ready to hand Hu 104 Oxford Blue as a base for touch up - came out looking very 'BOAC' on the Honda CB450 - I'll dig it and the BOAC Comet 4 out of 'storage' to check.

100_2680

• Like 3

I think the 104 Oxford Blue is pretty darn close. I pulled out my BOAC custom mix and 104 Oxford and painted a swatch of both, wet they are very close, so I imagine if you were to clear coat the Oxford, it would work well. I posted a photo in my Beaver WIP for you.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by MrB17
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

On 11/04/2024 at 00:13, MrB17 said:

I think the 104 Oxford Blue is pretty darn close. I pulled out my BOAC custom mix and 104 Oxford and painted a swatch of both, wet they are very close, so I imagine if you were to clear coat the Oxford, it would work well. I posted a photo in my Beaver WIP for you.

Got that, many thanks Jeff.

Being left to my own devices for the day, I took a trip to the nearest LMS to me but no Hu 15 - only managed to get some Revell 54 Night Blue - looked just the same as my tin of Oxford Blue.

Had a tentative go at adding some black to the Oxford Blue and touching in - looking OK so far. I think the wrinkles in the cheatline transfer are more visible and it was hard to keep them in a straight line along the length of the fuselage anyway.

EMACLLr.jpg

Trying to move along the paint drying with a hairdryer and got a couple of coats of gloss varnish on - a couple of smudges appeared and a chunk of transfer disappeared from a door but I'll deal with them later. Spent some time sanding the filler on the tail and engine pods, checking with primer. Some more work to do on the engine pods but going in the right direction.

Windows are now in without issue so fitting out the interior next! 

GXxalJp.jpg

• Like 8

Th three bulkheads are in and the flashing beacon and window/tail light tubes fitted. They needed anchoring in the tail space with a daub of Clearfix to keep them in place and I've dry fitted the stabiliser unit to check there is enough of the lights showing. The flashing red beacon on the tail is a perfect length but the steady clear tail light looks a tad long so will get a bit of a trim. I've also strung in the starboard wing light tube (and the port one will follow during close up of the fuselage as it's going to be too restrictive to do afterwards.

The starboard nose light 'scratch' tube is in, again anchored with a blob of clearfix - I'm hoping that fills the hole in the nose and brings the light through so it's visible. The flashing red beacon under the fuselage is in and I'm wrapping a piece of plastic round that area to help concentrate / keep the light in. I've been colouring the ends of the light tubes with felt tip pens - needs building up in several coats.

Additional light 'insulation will be going in next.

m1tjOGP.jpg

• Like 7

Looking forward to the grand light up! The BOAC trim on this looks incredible, If I ever build a VC-10, it’s going to be in BOAC livery, it just looks so good.

The “fiber optics” are really cool considering the age of the kit, something like this might get approval to be displayed in the lounge room! One can dream about it anyway, I have a vintage chrome DC-3 ashtray that lights up, but pretty crude in comparison. 

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MrB17 said:

If I ever build a VC-10, it’s going to be in BOAC livery, it just looks so good

Did it fly with anyone but BOAC and RAF?

The livery is looking very smart and it's nice seeing the lights coming together.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Did it fly with anyone but BOAC and RAF?

Oh yes: BUA/BCal, East African Airways, Gulf Air, Nigeria Airways, Ghana Airways, Oman, UAE, MEA, Sierra Leone Airways, Air Malawi, Air Ceylon and the RAE.

Edited by KevinK
added more operators
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 13/04/2024 at 18:37, MrB17 said:

Looking forward to the grand light up! The BOAC trim on this looks incredible, If I ever build a VC-10, it’s going to be in BOAC livery, it just looks so good.

The “fiber optics” are really cool considering the age of the kit, something like this might get approval to be displayed in the lounge room! One can dream about it anyway, I have a vintage chrome DC-3 ashtray that lights up, but pretty crude in comparison. 

Jeff, thanks for staying with it!  

On 13/04/2024 at 23:36, AdrianMF said:

The livery is looking very smart and it's nice seeing the lights coming together.

Thanks Adrian and I think I may prefer the modern kits with the fibre optic harnesses!

BQnyt1m.jpg

This must surely be the last picture of the internals that I'll need to post - not sure if it is clear from the pic but the @Rabbit Leader 'packing' has been squeezed in across the width of the fuselage between the bulkheads and below the window line. On top of that is the @PeterB foil to maximise on reflection of light  where needed and I have extended the foil over the lower red beacon area to try to keep all that flashing light away from the windows - I really need some sort of preformed plastic tube to butt right up to the provided shield over the flashing bulb, so I am hunting round the house for something suitable - @AdrianMF must have some suggestions here! There is a piece of bubblewrap glued across the front section of windows both sides of the fuselage to try to cut down the brightness from the steady bulb directly behind.

Up in the forward area, there is a slice of packing to separate the black cockpit area from the two home made 'light tubes' below which are to channel light down to the nose landing lights, again some foil lining underneath to assist. Also, I have glued a couple of layers of blue celllophane across the opening in the bulkhead that lets the steady light into the cockpit area. Also, I have tried to form up a sort of coaming at the front of the cockpit which will be visible from outside. I'm tempted to put in a couple of 1/144 heads....

When closing up the fuselage, I just need to position in the front undercarriage leg and the rudder which are currently painted white and drying, not forgetting the port side nose landing light tube which will be a b****r to fiddle into place.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Rolled paper secured with PVA or CA, painted black/silver?

Yes, good call, Adrian. I had fixated on plastic and forgotten about paper as a modelling material! A quick plan is to roll it around a suitable sized felt tip marker, lather with PVA, let it dry, trim to size, slice longways to let it slide around the lower beacon part and then paint as appropriate! Thanks!

Now may also be the time to put a bit of weight in the nose as insurance. Hopefully the stand can take it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Mike

Have you closed up that lovely fuselage yet ? :photo:

Yes, Pat , and it 's been a dis-aaauuuuster! Those old cheatline transfers plus varnish coating did not stand up to the handling, squeezing, clamping and general pressure required to close up so no pics until I restore a bit of order to the whole thing - it would definitely traumatise seasoned modellers as well as the children. The fuselage seams are filled and being sanded down at the moment. The 'bulb carrier' piece is needing some fettling before it will clip in and I suspect it is thicker plastic than the fuselage so I might need to get the rough file out!

I have cleaned up and painted all the wing parts and undercarriage assemblies in prep for assembly to the fuselage and the engine pods are getting last bit of filling / shaping before paint so it's not at a complete stop!

Regards from the deepest recesses of the old kit swamp! Mike.

• Sad 2

I'm so sorry to hear that mate, but I'm confident that being a true Scotsman you are not going to be beaten by a few minor setbacks at this stage, show it who's in charge :fight:

I'm at a wedding in Dublin in my Kilt, if you promise to conquer your fuselage I'll post a picture of me in my kilt in the Frog GB chat, deal ? :pray:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm so sorry to hear that mate, but I'm confident that being a true Scotsman you are not going to be beaten by a few minor setbacks at this stage, show it who's in charge :fight:

I'm at a wedding in Dublin in my Kilt, if you promise to conquer your fuselage I'll post a picture of me in my kilt in the Frog GB chat, deal ? :pray:

Of course it will get finished, Pat, just so any of those collectors out there who are drooling over an unbuilt Frog VC10 kit can also feel the pain of knowing what an expensive clunker it really is! There, I feel better after a good moan! The rest of the gang can now put the pressure on you for the kilt pics - just make sure you don't frighten the Leprechauns with your Sgian Dubh! Regards, Mike. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Although I am a Sassenach, through relatives on my late mother's side of the family I am reputedly allowed to wear the Fraser tartan though I have never bothered (except for a tie in "Hunting Fraser") - which tartan are you using?  When I was younger I remember wondering if someone who always wore a kilt would have hairy knees as I suspected friction from wearing trousers was the reason I had "bald" ones -  I suppose I will never know the answer and it will remain one of life's great mysteries!😆

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 2

I've had my legs re-thatched especially for the occasion :tmi:

I'll be wearing a dress Gordon Tartan its the kilt I was married in.

Although it seems to have shrunk badly since I last wore it, so one of Mrs Jockneys whalebone corsets may be required to facilitate entry ! 

Cheers Pat

• Haha 5

Let's hope the VC10 recovery goes well.

Just one thing - can we have a ten minute warning before the knees picture so we can all have a wee dram to fortify ourselves?

I'm not a whisky drinker but sometimes needs must...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 6