F.140 Vickers Super VC10 (with Special Feature Flashing Lights)

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There’s lots of preplanning and forward thinking going on in this build Mike, you’ll need a charter flight holiday to Spain in a real VC-10 once you’ve finished up! 

Thanks Dave, still enjoyable, so far! I'll be tidying up the 'steps' put in the main gear wells but I wondered if the undercarriage would fold away? The kit doesn't actually say that the main gear legs are supposed to retract (Instructions say to omit them if building wheels up) but they do rotate in the mounts inside the wings. However, they rotate in so far then hit the underside of the wing roots which are not cut away. Also, the wheel bogies do not line up with the centres of the wheel wells and this may be because the legs are at their loaded/compressed length - working oleo struts might mean we could have the undercarriage retracting but I think this may be a dream too far! The wheel bogies are supposed to drop down noticeably at the back while unloaded/in the air to facilitate a smooth landing but again have been molded in the loaded/on the ground position.

B4fJplb.jpg?1

There is a bit of clean up of flash required on the t-tail stabiliser and elevators and the engine assemblies will need a fair bit of filling and resculpting at the back end. The 'beaver tail' piece between the engines looks to be at a slightly smaller scale!

KqvC0KW.jpg?1

• Like 9

On 13/02/2024 at 23:25, Rabbit Leader said:

There’s lots of preplanning and forward thinking going on in this build Mike, you’ll need a charter flight holiday to Spain in a real VC-10 once you’ve finished up! 

Hurry up Mike,  your beers getting warm :cheers:

Great stuff mate

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 18/02/2024 at 15:51, JOCKNEY said:

Hurry up Mike,  your beers getting warm :cheers:

Thanks, Pat. This build is putting up my beer bill...!

I decided to re-do all the undercarriage wheel well lips as they were all a bit rough - still depends how closely you look at them. I had pared away some of the profile to allow the front wheels to rotate up into the nose wheel bay but that may have allowed some light out. Also, despite agonising over it, there is no way I'll be able to have the main wheels retracting so the VC10 is just going to be wheels down. Also had a look at the fuselage around where the stand clips in so following on from @MrB17's experience, I'll strengthen that area.

VxwdQpn.jpg

I also spent a fair bit of time working out how to have the nose landing lights illuminated and ended up with a couple of straight lengths of clear sprue shaped to sit in the back of the holes I drilled in the nose and protruding through the front bulkhead to hopefully pick up some light from the steady bulb. There are now some edges to the cockpit window frame which should stop that glass falling in at the wrong moment. We are just about ready to finish off the internal painting and get onto the fuselage outside painting and transfers - step 2 of the Instructions!

yTCgJ0K.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 7

This is going to be fantastic! Lots of great engineering and improvements and I love the stand. The VC-10 is a real looker and I have fond memories of the RAF VC-10’s visiting CFB Namao. (My ears are still ringing).

One day I spotted one on the arrival board and put myself down to marshal it in, I found one of those miniature Union flags in my boss’s office and pulled it out of the stand and stuck it in behind the patch on my cap, so it was flying proudly from my forehead. The crew absolutely loved it! 

This is a great build for a very sexy airplane! 

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrB17 said:

This is going to be fantastic! Lots of great engineering and improvements and I love the stand. The VC-10 is a real looker and I have fond memories of the RAF VC-10’s visiting CFB Namao. (My ears are still ringing).

One day I spotted one on the arrival board and put myself down to marshal it in, I found one of those miniature Union flags in my boss’s office and pulled it out of the stand and stuck it in behind the patch on my cap, so it was flying proudly from my forehead. The crew absolutely loved it! 

Cheers

Jeff

When British Airways retired their VC 10 fleet,  I suspect one did a flypast over their engineering depot at Rhoose in Cardiff, and then came back over the engine overhaul plant down the road from me. I was out in the garden at the time and it flew low overhead - it may have been noted for the lack of noise inside the cabin in flight but it was ruddy noisy where I was standing - a most impressive looking plane, though I personally preferred it in the old BOAC colour scheme!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2024 at 17:32, MrB17 said:

Thanks for your comments and great confidence, Jeff. Let's hope you will have another occasion to 'flag up' when this build is finished and the VC10 flies into the Gallery!

On 14/03/2024 at 19:27, PeterB said:

When British Airways retired their VC 10 fleet,  I suspect one did a flypast over their engineering depot at Rhoose in Cardiff, and then came back over the engine overhaul plant down the road from me. I was out in the garden at the time and it flew low overhead - it may have been noted for the lack of noise inside the cabin in flight but it was ruddy noisy where I was standing - a most impressive looking plane, though I personally preferred it in the old BOAC colour scheme!

Yes Pete, nothing like the older generation jets flying overhead - it was Phantoms and Lightnings from RAF Leuchars that used to 'float' past the house in my boyhood - you felt the noise cut through you! There is lots of solid deep blue in the old BOAC scheme and that seems to fit these aircraft to a tee - I agree it looks the best!

I got some 'me time' today so.....The front and main undercarriage doors have been fitted with another dry fit to make sure the fuselage halves will still fit together. I also had to thin the engine booms to ensure they fitted to the slots in the rear fuselage as I don't want to be wrestling with this after the fuselage transfers are on.

I masked the mating surfaces and the windows to preserve the black frames for the transparencies and the inside of the fuselage halves got a spray of silver. The cockpit area will remain black.

Fmfu2SS.jpg

I've masked the windows for the fuselage outer colours of grey and white. I'll do all the undercarriage components in white as well as the ref pictures seem to show that. 

v4p65SI.jpg

• Like 10

Lovely aircraft, and good progress so far V.

Gavin.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if there is anything to be said for adding some aluminium baking foil inside the fuselage to reduce the risk of stray light seeping through the plastic/joints - better than paint I suspect. Just a thought:whistle:

Pete

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

I wonder if there is anything to be said for adding some aluminium baking foil inside the fuselage to reduce the risk of stray light seeping through the plastic/joints - better than paint I suspect. Just a thought:whistle:

Pete

Why not, Pete? I’m using belt, braces, buttons zips and velcro on this build, all to keep that light ‘in’! There might be one last chance to conduct a test before the fuselage halves get joined permanently.

27 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Why not, Pete? I’m using belt, braces, buttons zips and velcro on this build, all to keep that light ‘in’! There might be one last chance to conduct a test before the fuselage halves get joined permanently.

I can't remember what it was I built, many years ago that had a light inside but I remember that at night the light was actually visible through the plastic - of course back in those days there were no LED bulbs and the "lamps" were probably far too bright,  Foil was probably not available back then but it should stop that leakage, and maybe could even be used as a "reflector" to enhance places where you do actually want the light to be visible as well.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

The VC10 fuselage paint is on - I'm using Halfords spray cans, Polar Grey and Polar White. Black on the nose - there is a raised panel line marking this out so some flexible masking tape followed that round. Removing the masking from the windows has left a bit of a raised paint edge so I'm just gently trying to reduce that with a sanding stick without ruining the whole thing.

s7TPWfo.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Paint looks very smart - what's your plan for touching up the join between the halves?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian. Joining the two fuselage halves is where the paint job can get wrecked, of course! On the dry fit, the fit seems good so I’m hoping to mask tape / protect either side close to the join and go carefully with any filling and sanding back. Maybe re-mask for respray of the joins and good old T-Cut to blend in!

Keeping the cheat line transfers intact during all that work will be a worry.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 27/03/2024 at 17:45, Nerazzurri said:

Lovely aircraft, and good progress so far V.

Gavin.

Many thanks, Gavin. There will be a few ups and downs no doubt - see below!

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Ah, the full auto bodywork treatment - haven't done that in a long while!

Regards,

Adrian

Yes, I hadn't needed to use any for years but I got a phone call from my son at Uni who managed to wipe his car wing against someone else's. I had a rummage in the garage and found an old tin - it still worked a treat in restoring paintwork.

Time to get the BOAC transfers out - first time I've seen this - must be to help the transfer round the curved nose but surely there would still be a wrinkle? I'll try the first one without cutting to see what happens.

xyvWpwr.jpg

Transfers went onto the stand OK but the long cheatline transfers started to split and break up. I've pushed the pieces together as best I could but there is trimming and paint touch up required. I think wrinkling round the nose was the least of my problems. At least 'BOAC' is still intact and the Union Jacks are still flying! Once I've punched out the windows, I'll put on some decalfix and really let it all settle down before getting the right shade of paint for touch up.

voThtWl.jpg

I decided to cheer myself up (not) by sloshing filler round the engine assemblies in preparation for a major sculpting / re-shape job there.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Transfers

They look great despite being a bit fragile. Hopefully they will touch up well.

Regards,

Adrian

PS vintage kit, but two-year old newspaper?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

PS vintage kit, but two-year old newspaper?? 

…vintage life! Must have bought the newspaper for protecting floor when painting skirting boards etc. also comes in handy for a spot of clandestine modelling!

Haven't looked in for ages Mike, so a catch-up for me. Fantastic progress! Decals look very good.

The VC10 has great memories for me. My younger days watching it come in over SW London to land at Heathrow. Then much later flying in RAF VC10s from Brize Norton to Washington on MOD business. Sitting backwards which was strange when taking off. They kept the aircon turned up (or something) to protect the airframe and when it came in to land you'd get a shower of water from above. Every time it landed at Washington Dulles airport the MOD got fined $5,000 due to the excessive noise level. Being RAF the cockpit was open and you could go up front and (if allowed) spend time in the cockpit. If there was a spare seat some even got sit in the cockpit when it landed. Never happened to me, I was too old, not good looking enough and the wrong gender!

Cheers,

Charlie

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

On 31/03/2024 at 13:40, Grandboof said:

Outstanding work . What a gem. 

Martin H

Thanks Martin. I like your optimism so far. I must admit that the word 'clunker' has suggested itself to me recently!

On 01/04/2024 at 17:10, Johnson said:

Haven't looked in for ages Mike, so a catch-up for me. Fantastic progress! Decals look very good.

The VC10 has great memories for me. My younger days watching it come in over SW London to land at Heathrow. Then much later flying in RAF VC10s from Brize Norton to Washington on MOD business. Sitting backwards which was strange when taking off. They kept the aircon turned up (or something) to protect the airframe and when it came in to land you'd get a shower of water from above. Every time it landed at Washington Dulles airport the MOD got fined $5,000 due to the excessive noise level. Being RAF the cockpit was open and you could go up front and (if allowed) spend time in the cockpit. If there was a spare seat some even got sit in the cockpit when it landed. Never happened to me, I was too old, not good looking enough and the wrong gender!

Thanks, Charlie. Those decals are pretty flaky - I didn;t use Decal Film as it has not worked for me in the past but I did use the @stevehnzmethod of diluted 'Future' to provide a base and it let me move the fractured parts about to recover a bit and seems to have stuck them down.

Some interim progress - windows are punched out and the good news is that I was provided with some 'window shaped' material for repair patches.

SSU4QgF.jpg

I coated the blue area with Decal Fix and dotted in the larger of the redundant decal pieces where required - a bit fiddly pushing around bits I couldn't see but some improvement to reduce the amount of touch up paint required. 

LKgYxdB.jpg

Just exactly what paint will match BOAC blue? A search recommends Hu25 Midnight Blue....

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Just exactly what paint will match BOAC blue? A search recommends Hu25 Midnight Blue....

I think you might need some black added to it, by itself I can't see Hu 25 being dark enough, there may be other options, hopefully someone else can chip in on this. The model itself is coming along very nicely.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I think you might need some black added to it, by itself I can't see Hu 25 being dark enough, there may be other options, hopefully someone else can chip in on this. The model itself is coming along very nicely.

Steve.

Mistype! I meant Hu 15 Midnight Blue, but I think still  some black required. Maybe start with black and add blue…

Edited by Ventora3300

30 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Mistype! I meant Hu 15 Midnight Blue, but I think still  some black required. Maybe start with black and add blue…

Don't underestimate what difference a bit of black can make. I'd start with the blue & add just a drop or two & go from there. Black has a very powerful effect. Looking at a couple of old threads from here & here, apart from Hu15, Revell 54 also comes in for a positive mention.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can remember modifying my Airfix 1/144 kit to BOAC Cunard livery which involved a little repainting and I don't seem to remember having problems matching the blue - back then I was just using Humbrol paint so I guess I used Midnight Blue with a touch of Black.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1