F.140 Vickers Super VC10 (with Special Feature Flashing Lights)

It's great to see this Frog Classic GB kicked off and I'm in with the Frog BOAC Super VC10. I've still to decide if this is a scale model kit with additional working parts (the flashing lights) or a scale accurate toy for boys - maybe has a set of wheels in each camp!

FJtjiLA.jpg?1

Also, is it a vintage model kit to be built and the nostalgia enjoyed or is it an antique to be preserved in its box? Did you see the post late last year by @Whofan ?

I got this kit a few years ago and did pay a bit more than is sensible and no doubt it could have been an 'investment' but I definitely bought it to build, so onwards! 

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 11

Time to dig out my copy of 'The Complete History' book on Frog by Richard Lines and Leif Hellstrom.

SdkCuPf.jpg

Advertising for the 'boy's toy'?

3NrX07O.jpg

Under 1964, it has:

2816XVy.jpg

yeV7X8p.jpg

So, definitely a Frog kit of note and the book says that the Frog kit range in 1964 had 'reached about 80 subjects'.

I've also got a reference book by Key Publishing which I hope is going to show me lots of additional details which may need to be added to the kit.

1YlzdFP.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 7

Wow, what a kit to have in your collection but yes you have to build it. I vaguely remember the kit along with one of the flying model a school friend of my brothers. It sat in it's box, then you added the wings and wound the propeller.

The oldest Frog kit in my collection is the original Canberra, which will not be built, just out of nostalgia.

As a teenager, I used yo frequent the Model Shop, Bootle Street, Manchester. Predominately R/C and railways but here plastic kit collection was excellent. However to conserve shelf space, the kits were box end on. So it was a matter of waiting to catch one of the shop guys attention to ask if you could look at a certain kit.

I flew back from Singapore in a BOAC VC 10, from what I remember , it was a very pleasant flight.

I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Imagine opening this box as a 10-12 year old!

3bmoAmH.jpg

Here are the kit parts - a bit of flash about I'm afraid. I won't spoil the moment and check for missing parts just yet..... Better get them out of the sun!

bHnVHtq.jpg

Here are the special parts for the lighting.

c8ew3jR.jpg

The decals and that early Frog kit list - I'm sure we'll see most of them again in this GB. The decals look in fairly good condition and there appears to be options for three different aircraft registrations.

0B4U5Dn.jpg

The all important Instructions - wow, a lot to take in here. Strangely enough, a 10-12 year old would not be as daunted as I am feeling now! However, this is going to be great fun.

BbYLLZY.jpg

D4W4nuv.jpg

• Like 10

Wow, what  box full! I think as a ten year old, I would have balked at the kit, maybe at sixteen I'd have given it a go. However, I think it was out of my spend money price range.

I'm extremely interest to see how you got about this build.

Colin the Wessex nut

• Like 1

This is going to be good. A very rare kit being given a chance to shine, quite literally in this case.

The model builds up well and looks every inch a VC10 once done. That beautiful great big stand helps as well, giving a very travel agent window feel to things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a great find. Look forward to seeing how this progresses. My dear mum bought  me one for Christmas from one of those catalogue  companies and paid for it in instalments. At 19 And 11pence it was a lot of money back then. I was 11 at the time and built it but made such a hash of the paintwork and decals. At least I got the lights working right. But I still feel upset for my mum having bought the kit only for me to mess it up. I still have one of the engine pods from that kit!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow, what  box full! I think as a ten year old, I would have balked at the kit, maybe at sixteen I'd have given it a go. However, I think it was out of my spend money price range.

Yes, the Price List printed in red says 19s 11d (a penny under £1) for the VC 10 kit - even more expensive than the R100 Airship! I wonder who this kit was aimed at given that the 'normal' kits were 6s or less. I hope I'm up to this.

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

The model builds up well and looks every inch a VC10 once done. That beautiful great big stand helps as well, giving a very travel agent window feel to things.

That's good news, Tony. I think I have seen that wing fences are not included on the wings so I may make an attempt to add them.

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

My dear mum bought  me one for Christmas from one of those catalogue  companies and paid for it in installments. At 19 And 11 pence it was a lot of money back then. I was 11 at the time and built it but made such a hash of the paintwork and decals. At least I got the lights working right. But I still feel upset for my mum having bought the kit only for me to mess it up. I still have one of the engine pods from that kit!!!

Aha! So Frog sold one at least! I remember those catalogues (Kays was the one my Mum got) and approaching Christmas, I used to drool over all the toys that passed me by. Good news that the lights should work - that will probably be my first job on this kit, to test that all is in order.

• Like 2

According to the book, FROG sold 32,000 of them in the first year, so if they gave the retailers a trade price of around ten bob (half the price of the kit), they'd have received £16,000 - if the moulds cost £4000, then there was a decent profit made even allowing for boxes, decals and lights.

• Like 3

Just remembered I once had the Novo version of the kit. You could see wherevthevfuselage cut out was modified doing away with the light fittings. Plus a few other mods to the tooling like the separate flaps etc.

• Like 1

I remember having that kit as a kid.  My dad built it for me, I remember him complaining about fitting those light tubes.

I'll be very interested to see how this builds up, and its shape compared to the Roden VC-10.

A great find nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

decent profit

...plus also capital cost of factory and moulding machinery, power, raw materials, mould operators, box packers, warehousing, delivery...

32000 a year is approx 128 kits per working day, or one every four minutes!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Now ain’t that a beautiful looking VC-10 kit? 
What a great choice to build here as I’m sure that in this condition it would probably fetch quite a some of money on the 2nd hand market. 
I’m sure you’ll have many onlookers and admires Mike, so all the best getting this one finished, dancing and working. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh this is going to look amazing, it's not often you get to see a soldering iron used on a build unless it's melting the end of undercarriage legs over to keep the wheels on !

Best of luck Mike :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

it's not often you get to see a soldering iron used on a build unless it's melting the end of undercarriage legs over to keep the wheels on !

And with that excellent Co-Host comment... is there anyone out there prepared to attempt doing this on one of their Frog Squad II GB Builds??  

I can visualise certain members on here giving it a crack, however I would rather they took one step forward to volunteer themselves, possibly whilst the rest of us all took one step back!!. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 4

On 1/17/2024 at 12:27 PM, Ventora3300 said:

I've still to decide if this is a scale model kit with additional working parts (the flashing lights) or a scale accurate toy for boys - maybe has a set of wheels in each camp!

As it's in a 'recognizable' scale rather than a fit the box scale, I'd go with the former. It looks more accurate than some of the comparatively younger Japanese kits I've encountered. Looking forward to this one. What a beauty. Freely admit to being a builder not a collector though and the stash is merely a by-product of my short attention span and other challenging behaviours (in the language of mental health).

On 1/18/2024 at 7:52 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

I remember having that kit as a kid.  My dad built it for me, I remember him complaining about fitting those light tubes.

I'll be very interested to see how this builds up, and its shape compared to the Roden VC-10.

A great find nonetheless.

I fancy it'll build up more easily than ANY Roden kit- but maybe at 2 fails to 0 completion I have a jaundiced view of Roden

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

And with that excellent Co-Host comment... is there anyone out there prepared to attempt doing this on one of their Frog Squad II GB Builds??  

I can visualise certain members on here giving it a crack, however I would rather they took one step forward to volunteer themselves, possibly whilst the rest of us all took one step back!!. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave

Fear not I'll be doing something similar with my Skua, but it involves tealamp (mini candle) and the end of a flat screwdriver. 

I'll save the oxy-acetylene for when I move up to anything over 1/48 scale  :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

On 17/01/2024 at 12:27, Ventora3300 said:

the flashing lights

Such gimmicks go around and around don’t they? First these light tubes (as used on real aircraft instrument panel lighting at the time) provided working lights. Later the invention of fibre optics revived the novelty and now LEDs are bringing it back into fashion for a third time. 

Personally I place all three into the ‘toy’ category along with retracting undercarriages, spinning props and dropping bombs. However, since I am known to discretely zoom my aeroplane models around the room, perhaps I shouldn’t be so scathing. 😆

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TonyW said:

I've added a bit of background info to the thread mentioned in the initial post right up top of the page. I didn't want to derail this thread.

BTW, I checked back and got this kit for £46 in 2021 so not feeling too guilty at the moment. Up to me to make something good of it now.

• Like 1