Caledonian Boeing 757 - a walk down memory lane

As a 12 year old,my grand parents took me with them to Kenya for hollidays.

That was back in september 1990...how the time flies...

We should have had a flight from Zurich to Mombasa on the Balair DC-10-30,but for some reasons this was changed,and instead Caledonian Airways took us to our destination on a Boeing 757-200.

Due to the limited range of the 757,we had to make a tank stop in Athens.

I always had a latent interest in airplanes but this flight actually started it all,my passion for airliners and modelling.

In fact,my very first kit that I bought was a Hasegawa 747 in 1/200 soon after our return.

But I always wanted to build the aircraft that started it all.

Unfortunately back then,no 757 kit was available or none that I was aware of nor could I find decals for the Caledonian version,no internet back then,so tracing such items was rather difficult and one had to rely on the local hobbyshops to stock the latest kits.

Anyone remember ?

spacer.png

Some good 25 years ago I came across the AHS decal set but was still missing a 757 kit...

Some years later Minicraft released a 757 kit that was average at least.

I bought some of them but for some reason I never actually built one with the Caledonian decals that I had.Maybe the reason was that the AHS sheet had white parts that needed to be applied first before the yellow decals and also a lack of detail on it.

spacer.png

Many years later,in 2021 Zvezda released a bew 757 kit which beats the Minicraft version in every aspect.

26decals released also many decals for the new kit,offering countless airlines,amongst them British Airways/Caledonian.

So finally this year I came around building the very 757 that I had flown on back in 1990.

The Zvezda kit is superb with almost perfect fit and only a minimum of filler needed.

I built it straight out of the box

The windows are open,no decals used,so also a bit of the cockpit can be seen.

To get the correct windows/doors layout,I had to close 4 windows as Caledonian,as well as many other airlines,have/had an additional door aft of the wings.

The last row of windows consists of 13 windows,so just need to count from the back forward and then close 4 windows in a row.

The additional door is provided with the decals.

The emergency exits on the wings need to be filled and sanded and one window between the former exits added.

Yep,I still have the onboard magazine from that flight...

spacer.png

Paints used,Tamyia Royal blue with a few drops black for the belly and engines,Gunze light grey 315 for the upper fuselage,Testors Voodoo grey on the wings,the corogard is a mix of dark grey mixed with aluminium.

Othe metallic parts are painted with Gunze metallics.

spacer.png

As mentioned,the decals are from 26 and are absolutely wonderful.

The fit is perfect and the carrier film is almost invisible.

The window frames are from the kit decal sheet

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Caledonian Airways was founded in 1988,emerging from British Airtours

spacer.png

In 1999 it merged with Flying Colours Airlines to become JMC,which went to become Thomas Cook Airlines in 2003.

spacer.png

Unfortunately,this company went into bankruptcy in 2019.

The Boeing 757 G-BPEA was delivered factory new in march 1989 to British Airways and came to Caledonian in april 1989.

It was frequently leased out during its service with Caledonian and after being sold in 2001 it remained in service with different airlines until its retirement in may 2018,aged 29.

Sadly it was scrapped in 2019.

I have still vivid and fond memories of that flight and those wonderful hollidays in Kenya and because of that,this model has a special meaning in my collection.

Hence the slighly longer than usual thread...

Here some pics from my grand parents photo album,of the 757 upon our arrival in Mombasa

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hope you enjoyed my walk down memory lane

cheers

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 50

Nothing like a nostalgia trip Alex, as I remember building a model of an Alitalia DC-8 some time ago; the first four engine jet that I ever flew on in 1973 

Great to have all of the memorabilia to go with your build  👍👍

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Nothing like a nostalgia trip Alex, as I remember building a model of an Alitalia DC-8 some time ago; the first four engine jet that I ever flew on in 1973 

Great to have all of the memorabilia to go with your build  👍👍

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

Yes,its always nice to build something as a reminder of fond memories

22 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Beautiful model and great story Alex. Thanks for sharing.

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave

10 hours ago, Remus389 said:

Very elegant looking model! 😎👍

Thank you very much

9 hours ago, Darwinism said:

Fantastic work Alex - what a great result and thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Thank you very much.

Always glad to bring back memories

Absolutely gorgeous, classic livery, lovely job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely looking 757 Alex.....

Thank you very much Vince

38 minutes ago, michael301757 said:

Absolutely gorgeous, classic livery, lovely job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.

Thank you very much Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billy54 said:

Nice model and a nice post, I enjoyed walking with you down your memory lane.l

Thank you very much.

Pleasure that you enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Beautifully done!

Thank you very much

Hi Alex,

As everyone has said this is a beautiful model!

I always find modelling an aircraft that has a connection to you so much more enjoyable than just a livery which looks nice.

I have built a Caledonian 757 using the AHS decals and wasn't completely happy with the results. There was a bit of silvering and the carrier film was just a little too visible, probably because of having to lay the yellow over white decals so I'm glad the 26 sheet is better. I might redo my AA Caledonian 757 in another livery and build one of my Zvezda's as Caledonian.

I had forgotten about Skylife magazine but you've brought back some memories for me too!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

As everyone has said this is a beautiful model!

I always find modelling an aircraft that has a connection to you so much more enjoyable than just a livery which looks nice.

I have built a Caledonian 757 using the AHS decals and wasn't completely happy with the results. There was a bit of silvering and the carrier film was just a little too visible, probably because of having to lay the yellow over white decals so I'm glad the 26 sheet is better. I might redo my AA Caledonian 757 in another livery and build one of my Zvezda's as Caledonian.

I had forgotten about Skylife magazine but you've brought back some memories for me too!

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you very much Ian.

Thats very true.

I had a lot of joy building this model and recall all those nice memories.

I saw your build of the AA kit,and its a very nice one,despite the old AHS decals but I will stay tuned for your second😉😊

Alex

I enjoyed the trip down memory lane as well Alex, as Ian says it is much more interesting to build a plane that you have a connection with.

The 757 looks lovely, I really must get around to building one of mine. The only time I flew on one was the Manchester-Heathrow shuttle, with BA, so I'll maybe start there!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I built that exact bird using the Welsh Models 757 vacuform in that same scheme in the mid 1990s.

I never saw the Welsh kit,would be nice to see a pic or two of your build ?😊

3 hours ago, Viking said:

I enjoyed the trip down memory lane as well Alex, as Ian says it is much more interesting to build a plane that you have a connection with.

The 757 looks lovely, I really must get around to building one of mine. The only time I flew on one was the Manchester-Heathrow shuttle, with BA, so I'll maybe start there!

Cheers

John

Thank you very much John

My pleasure to have enjoyed the trip.

I stay tuned for your BA 757...

I have currently a few more 757s that I am working on,amongst them is also the BA Landor version

Cheers

Alex

A beautiful build of a really beautiful jet. The 757 is one of the nicest looking airliners ever built.

Eng

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, eng said:

A beautiful build of a really beautiful jet. The 757 is one of the nicest looking airliners ever built.

Eng

Thank you very much Eng.

Indeed,the 757 is probably the most elegant airliner Boeing ever designed

• Like 1