No Chance!

Gondor

|A fat lot of use you two are!

Exasperated of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Well what do you expect asking a silly question like that? :drunk:

Gondor

Wretched Earthling! Naughty Corner, quick march! @corsaircorp awaits.

Vengeful of Mars 👽

PS: Sorry CJP, they followed me here, honest!

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Martian said:

Wretched Earthling! Naughty Corner, quick march! @corsaircorp awaits.

Vengeful of Mars 👽

PS: Sorry CJP, they followed me here, honest!

Loving the banter!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:41 AM, Martian said:

Lovely work! You are making me want tackle another Wessex/SH-34 kit. Someone save me from myself!

Easily Led of Mars 👽

Then, what about the Kamov Helix ??

Just saying ??:whistle::whistle:

Thanks for sending @Gondor44 to our usual suspects club....

Welcome Sir, have a beer....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I have installed the kit instrument panel decal & grey painted etch panel overlay - once happy with that I finally glued the fuselage halves together - then attached the front of the fuselage with the mesh guard over the intake.

IMG_6050.avifIMG_6051.avifIMG-6046.avif

Next I started working around the fuselage adding the various piping, fairings, main wheel legs & floatation bag gas bottles.

I raided my Evergreen stash of strip & added the drain channel? that comes out of the side of the Beetleback fairing.

IMG_6060.avifIMG_6059.avifIMG_6062.avifIMG_6068.avif

I did not use the etched mesh supplied  in the kit for under the rotor head as the RAN Wessex don't appear to have the round opening in left rear of the panel so I added a piece of Eduard brass mesh to the frame but later removed that mesh & replaced it with a piece of diagonal mesh by ABER which looks a little better to me.

I did not use the nylon mesh that came with the kit for this even though I had used it on the front grill as I found it trended to fray when cut to shape which was probably due to my lack of finesse.

Below is the mesh & framework that sits under the rotor head refitted with the ABER mesh, I left the CA to set hard & then carefully cut out the opening for the top of the MRGB - the frame was given a quick spray of flat white - frame is not yet glued in position.

IMG_6070.avifIMG_6069.avifIMG_6074.avif

Fuselage steps still need to be added to the fuselage & some detail on the MLG legs. there are also a brackets each side of the fuselage to do with the frame that holds the folded rotor blades. After that I will study walkarounds & photos I have been provided with to see what else needs to be added before I turn my attention to the folded tail unit.

thanks for looking

Chris

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Hi all - another little Wessex update - Well I took a deep breath & decided to start gluing the cockpit windscreen, rotor head grill & dogbox fairing on to the main fuselage - all went together ok with a bit of adjustment/fettling here & there - I did remember to add the rotor brake to the overhead console but forgot to add the concertinaed overhead sun blinds inside the cockpit😬- don't know if I can add something to represent them later🤔The second photo is the following day with rubber bands removed & the parts set firmly in place.

IMG_6112.avifIMG-6113.avif

I started looking at the cockpit steps today & referred to this photo by @abat of a Wessex 31B - they seem a bit narrower than some other models of Wessex so I used the kit steps cut down & added some plastic strip for the side supports. Once the parts have dried I will shape the angled side supports with a new scalpel blade.

Moorabbin-31-B-3-copy.jpgIMG_6114.avifIMG_6115.avif

Next job will be to tackle the steps on the starboard side - progress is a bit slow & hopefully not too boring to anyone following this build!

Bye for now.

Chris

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Hi, another week goes by and I'm slowly working my way around the Wessex adding bits & pieces of detail as I see them in reference photos - also doing a lot of referring to Hendie's 28 SQDN Wessex build - four handles were added above the cabin windows from brass wire as well as two smaller handles below the windows.

I added brackets to the top of the main gear leg, tie down rings & steps on the lower gear leg from L section strip cut in to narrow sections.

IMG_6139.avifIMG_6130.avifIMG_6131.avif

I also drilled a hole and inserted some 2mm aluminium tube for the mounting point for the external fuel tanks - the curved strut that holds the external fuel tankwas fabricated from a couple of layers of plastic sheet glued together - after drilling holes & shaping with a coarse round file I had something was starting to look like the strut - the rounded fairing that covers the mechanism holding the fuel tank will probably be vacformed.

IMG_6135.avifIMG_6143.avifIMG_6144.avif

There are the hydraulic brake lines & some sort of tubing that goes to the round flotation gear bottle on the landing gear legs which I think I will leave off until after I give the model a coat of primer.

There is also a flattish fairing that sits centrally below the front camouflage line below the windscreen down to near the hinges above the front grill that I need to add.

As I work towards the rear of the Wessex, I will be working out how to tackle assembling the Scale Warship etched frame that holds the folded rotor blades & the brackets that the frame locks on to when fitted - also the brackets that support the antenna wires running down either side of the fuselage.

Chris

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 10

Don't forget the emergency release latch on top of the sliding windows, just to add that finishing touch.

This already looks fantastic but can only look even more fantasticker once the coloring in phase happens

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hendie said:

Don't forget the emergency release latch on top of the sliding windows, just to add that finishing touch.

This already looks fantastic but can only look even more fantasticker once the coloring in phase happens

Thanks Alan, there are so many lumps & bumps around the Wessex it's easy to miss little details like that.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking work Chris. This is coming together wonderfully.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I will be happy to finish the fuselage detailing on both sides - seems a way off before I get that all done though!

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I decided to have a look at the starboard side of the fuselage & added some hydraulic connections for the winch hoses from discs punched from 5 thou sheet & rod - holes were drilled for the hydraulic hoses to the winch.

Inspired by @hendies 28 SQDN Wessex HC2, I then I decided to make life a bit hard for myself by seeing if I could solder a winch bracket from brass tube - I used Albion Alloys SFT-1 slide fit tube set & their etch of shape connectors as in the first photo below.

The brass tube was cut to size & the cross shaped connectors were fitted into the tube & secured with a drawing pin for soldering - I nearly went crazy trying to keep it all aligned & together but in the end I managed to get it soldered.

IMG_6198.avifIMG_6176.avifIMG_6193.avif

IMG_6191.avif.IMG_6192.avif

I filed to shape some small attachment brackets where the winch frame is attached to the fuselage using Albion Alloys U channel - still need to make a smaller bracket for the top attachment point.

IMG_6206.avifIMG_6208.avifIMG_6210.avif

After a bit of tweaking the bracket frame now fits ok - once finally happy with it I will put it safely in the box with the winch parts to be fitted after painting.

thanks

Chris

Edited by CJP
text photo
  • Like 7

very nice work Chris.  I made a brass winch frame on one of my Wessex builds (can't remember which one it was now) and I know how awkward and difficult that little blighter is to get soldered up. Well done.  The cabin step was another one I ended up doing in brass - it looks simple but getting it right was a lot more difficult than I thought.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

very nice work Chris.  I made a brass winch frame on one of my Wessex builds (can't remember which one it was now) and I know how awkward and difficult that little blighter is to get soldered up. Well done.  The cabin step was another one I ended up doing in brass - it looks simple but getting it right was a lot more difficult than I thought.

Thanks Alan - I found your brass winch bracket in the 28 SQDN HC2 build - I have been spending hours looking through that build for ideas/techniques - I will have to check out the cabin step as it has not got into my to do list yet.

Chris

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice bracketed Chris, looks great as do the hydraulic connections too.

Cracking work.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I think I got lucky getting it together before it fell to bits again😁

Chris

• Like 1