Adrian's 1/72 Blenheim mk I F190

This Mk I Blenheim was released in 1969 in 1/72 scale and was an 'upgrade' from their release ten years earlier in 1/79 scale. This kit had considerably more components than the first release and even included the option of skis - which I will be using. I like old school stuff and so will be modifying it with Falcon aftermarket glassware. The decals are shot, however, SBS Model have produced some lovely decals which will help me depict an aircraft from the Russo-Finnish wars. 

Frog GB

Very exciting box art

Frog GB

The main components

Frog GB

Lots of bits to play with

Frog GB

Bought this set thirty years ago - they are still good

Frog GB

Lovely fresh decals

• Like 13

I did a bit of research (OK, googling) on this a while back, and the consensus seems to be that the ski option as depicted by FROG isn't quite accurate. I ended up doing a different, retractable, ski version here, which has a link to the WIP.

The original photo links in my post are broken, but you can get to retractable and fixed skis by googling "blenheim BL-104" or -135. The FROG kit is pretty close to the fixed skis but no cigar!

Regards,

Adrian

PS it may not be perfect, but this is my favourite 1/72 Blenheim to build!

• Like 4

Another lovely choice Adrian and I'll be especially looking forward to seeing how that Falcon canopy grafts on. 

I've got the same kit (well two to be truthful), however thought the original thick glazing wasn't too bad. I'm sure I'll change my mind once I see yours take shape. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

The decals are shot,

you have 2 sets I passed onto you for your He111 build.....    and if you are not using them I have possible uses....

13 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

depict an aircraft from the Russo-Finnish

I have this

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/finnish-bomber-colours-1939-1945

mmp_finnish_bombercolours_1939-1945_cove

Bristol Blenheim I, II, & IV

Purchase

Winter War

Continuation War

War in Lapland

Camouflage and Markings

If you need to check details I could bring along to next club night? 

Also, not always easy to navigate

http://sa-kuva.fi/webneologineng.html

"Welcome to the Finnish Wartime Photograph Archive!

You are looking at a historically unique collection of Finnish wartime photographs. The digital archive contains around 160,000 photographs from the Second World War from a time period of six years, from autumn 1939 to the summer of 1945. The pictures portray life on the home front, damage done by bombings, the war industry, the evacuation of Finnish Karelia as well as events and operations at the front."

Though many will be easier to find here

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Blenheim/FAF.html

Can't see any skis but plenty of useful detail and some period colour.  

Bristol-Blenheim-I-FAF-LeLv42-Tikkakoski

Remember the Finns built Blenhiems under licence,  note the plane above is either Finnish built or has been deep over hauled by Valtion lentokonetehdas (state aircraft factory) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valtion_lentokonetehdas  often abbreviated to VL

Why?  Note the light grey internal colour used as the internal colour by Valtion lentokonetehdas...  

HTH

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

That undersurface colour looks almost aluminium to me...

The SBS decals above show aluminium dope.    I've not pulled the book out to check the variations. 

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Bristol-Blenheim-I-FAF-LeLv42-Tikkakoski

Remember the Finns built Blenhiems under licence,  note the plane above is either Finnish built or has been deep over hauled by Valtion lentokonetehdas (state aircraft factory) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valtion_lentokonetehdas  often abbreviated to VL

Why?  Note the light grey internal colour used as the internal colour by Valtion lentokonetehdas...  

Silver dope undersurfaces and bulged bomb bay doors tells that this is a Finnich-built aircraft delivered latest May 1942.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:12 PM, AdrianMF said:

ski option as depicted by FROG isn't quite accurate

Skies didn't have insets for landing gear legs. A primitive fix might be cutting the sides away and fill them.  Then file them half-round, if you mind this kind of issues over originality of the kit. Also BL-104 was painted dark green uppersurfaces and light belly instead of RAF camo Frog is showing. Well, I painted my first Blenheim from this kit accordong tp Frog's opinion... Despite that I have warm memories of it and I have built it several times :)

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, lots of comments! Will do a bit of research- ski shape is an issue (Milliput modifications?) as well as interior colour. Have used Humbrol 78 ‘interior green’ but will be doing a few mods using guidance from the other Adrian’s build 😊

Need to find out if my chosen subject had a ventral gun pack 

Troy, I’d like to look at that book and will return decals as well as give you ones from this kit at next club meet

Two of my main references are the Airframe Album and Warpaint publications.  The other Adrian's build has been quite useful for the cockpit interior as well as the landing light on the port wing.

Dyg

A bit of boxing in so there isn't a massive void looking from nose into rest of fuselage. Not completely accurate but Adrian got away with it. Note I have thinned the edges of the fuselage where the canopy fits (might use kit canopy rather than Falcon aftermarket as it looked better on Adrian's build)

Dyg

Made a bit of space for plasticard boxing in that I just fitted

Dyg

The start of the area to fit the Finnish double landing lights

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Need to find out if my chosen subject had a ventral gun pack 

Hi Adrian,

Finns didn't use belly gun pack in Blenheims. What is your chosen subject? It would help to pick up the features of that particular aircraft.

Fixed skies are pointing towards a military special operation in the North-West border AKA Winter War?

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

AaCee, I think to clarify things I may do this exact aircraft. It can clearly be seen there is no ventral gun pack (thanks for advice). 

I particularly like the black/green upper with light blue undersides of the Finnish schemes. However, in order to accurately depict the aircraft shown in the image below, With the ALL IMPORTANT SKIS, I need to paint it overall, including underside, in Kenttavihrea (Olive green) FS 34096, according to SBS instructions with their decals. It is just the undersides of wings and tail that need to be silver

Ggy

• Like 3

A little bit of Milliput filled the tops of the floats nicely

Hij

And whilst I was Milliputting did further modifications to a Sauropod dinosaur I'm making - kit cost me three quid at SMW

Hij

Over a few million years Sauropods worked out that they needed to drink a lot of water quickly, (too many Tyrranosaurs about) so they moved their nostrils from the front of their nose to the top of the head

Hij

• Like 6

On 1/16/2024 at 4:38 PM, Adrian Hills said:

the aircraft shown in the image below, With the ALL IMPORTANT SKIS

Okay, an UK-built series I aircraft. Colour information can be found from Troy's book. Open bomb bays when in use, in this picture looks like covered.

About the Frog skies: they are quite much too wide and too pointed rear end. Correct shape is more like a French bread :D

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

AaCee, do you have any photographs of the rear end of the floats, please? Haven’t found any on the web so far.

If you are right I will dig the Milliput out. 

And thank you for your input. The reason I’m building this is the skis so it would be fun to get it right.

Cheers

Adrian 😊

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

any photographs of the rear end of the floats

I did email you, no response maybe you missed it,  and included the email of the Finnish AF museum, who are very helpful in these matters, and would be the place to ask. link them to the thread, I'm sure they would be interested.

HTH

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 16:22, Adrian Hills said:

Over a few million years Sauropods worked out that they needed to drink a lot of water quickly, (too many Tyrranosaurs about) so they moved their nostrils from the front of their nose to the top of the head

… and became extinct by drowning when it began to rain. 

This is a very busy thread. Great stuff!

I do like a Blenheim. 😃

• Like 1

I have just written to a Finnish aviation museum (Thanks to Troy for the link) and requested if they have any further images of the skis fitted to the Blenheim. Am intrigued by AaCee's comment of 'more like a French bread'.

The museum has a good image from behind of a Fokker D XXI fitted with skis. Am thinking this may be a similar design to the Blenheim skis.

IMG_0020

Shouldn't bee too difficult with a bit more Milliput

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

The museum has a good image from behind of a Fokker D XXI fitted with skis

That looks nice, didn’t Frog release one of these kits during the mid 60’s?
Hopefully someone will turn up with one., looks good in Finnish colours. 
Cheers.. Dave 

7 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

The museum has a good image from behind of a Fokker D XXI fitted with skis. Am thinking this may be a similar design to the Blenheim skis.

Hi Adrian,

Skies used in Blenheim, Fokker DXXI and VL Pyry had quite similar shapes, Size depended th weight of the plane and way how they were fissed depended on the type of the landing gear. In Blenheim width is a little wider than room for the wheel.

I trust that the good people at the FinAF museum are able to found something usefule for you!

Cheers,

AaCee 

• Like 1

Mikko Kylmala of the Finnish Air Force Museum has kindly given me permission to post images of the Blenheims fitted with skis on this site. If using any of these following four images please credit the museum.

Fgh

Fgh

Fgh

Fgh

There can be now no doubt as to the exact shape of these skies. Obviously there is much more information available in these photographs which is of use to the modeller 🙂

• Like 14