Adrian's 1/79 Blenheim mk I 395P

For this GB I will be doing two Blenheim Mk Is, the original in 1959 in 1/79 scale and the second released in 1969 in 1/72 scale.

The subject of this thread is the 1959 kit which included such delights as engraving in the plastic as a painting guide for the roundels and aircraft code letters. I absolutely love kits like this and will be handpainting it including the markings ! I will add  add a basic cockpit interior with a correct scale pilot.

Frog GB

Here you can see the size difference between the 1/79 kit (at top) and the 1/72 kit (bottom)

Frog GB

The delights of the engraved markings

Frog GB

The rest of the components

Frog GB

This is going to be a lot of fun. Please see my other Blenheim thread too 🙂

• Like 18

I absolutely love the idea of the kit being engraved and painting your own decals. Are you planning on doing that or using decals ?

Best of luck mate :like:

Cheers Pat 

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I absolutely love the idea of the kit being engraved and painting your own decals. Are you planning on doing that or using decals ?

Best of luck mate :like:

Cheers Pat 

I have seen this with the 1956 Revell Convair Tradewind, which is also a non-standard scale (1:166).

Isn't that little Blenheim cute! 

Interesting to hear you're planning to paint your own decals, those raised paint guides are a good help to keep those roundels circular. 

Cheers and all the best .. Dave 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

I absolutely love kits like this and will be handpainting it including the markings !

I think this would be up @TonyW  street.   Interesting project. 

cheers

T

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I think this would be up @TonyW  street.   Interesting project. 

cheers

T

Very much so!

A lovely kit, it has a very period feel to it. Sat alongside its box, it can only bring a smile to your face. I'm looking forward to seeing things come together.

As an aside, when I was tracking one down for the collection I passed on quite a few boxes as they all seemed to look a bit grubby. Eventually the penny dropped, the grubbiness was the flak bursts! All the boxes look like that. :rolleyes:

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

To illustrate my point of interest in kits with engraved lines for painting markings here are two Frog models 'I made earlier' . Both were released in 1959 the Hampden being 1/99 scale and the Wellington 1/119 scale

Ggy

Ggy

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting effect with the Wellington’s codes. Were you going for a light and shade effect with the paint ? 

If you look carefully you will see the surface is actually quite ribbed to show the stringers. This may give the impression of shading.

and Dave, the roundel markings are sunken rather than raised 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow Adrian, what a pair to throw into the GB. I don't remember this boxing, it looks very interesting.

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 1

My Dad had the Wellington as part of his small but select cache of built kits, alongside a few of the Inpact "Magnificent Men" series. He built what he liked, and saved the OCD for railway modelling, bless him.

Looking forward to the Blenheim(s)!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

My Dad had the Wellington as part of his small but select cache of built kits, alongside a few of the Inpact "Magnificent Men" series. He built what he liked, and saved the OCD for railway modelling, bless him.

Looking forward to the Blenheim(s)!

Regards,

Adrian

The Inpact series, I remember but never actually purchased one, bi-planes weren't my thing. As an Air Cadet, it had to be a fighter plane or bomber!

In those days, Monogram kit from the US were starting to make an appearance but hey were pricey. I remember the Dauntless, which I see is still around!

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 1

...and how come FROG could do recessed lines as fine as the ones on the Airfix new 1/72 Spitfire back in the 1950s??

Life just keeps on posing questions...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I remember the Wellington. I bought on a day trip somewhere when I was about 10-1, so had been sat around a while (1964-5). It came with glue and some paint in those little plastic phials. The paint was matt and I was quite pleased with the finish of it. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Did a little bit of work on the kit today. Decided to plug the holes for undercarriage so that it can be on a stand 'flying'.

Vugg

Vugg

Stretched sprue cut off is useful. being of the same plastic it should be easy to cut off and rub down.

Ghh

I did the same on my 1/99 scale Frog Hampden

Ghh

And of course if it is flying it will need some crew. These chaps on the right are sort of to scale, compared to the 1/72 scale chaps on the left 🙂

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Just started filling the cockpit hence the back wall

Ghf

Have cleaned the plastic plugs on the bottom of the nacelles

Ghfu

It never ceases to amuse me the difference in size between the two Mk 1 Bristol Blenheims made by Frog

Ghf

• Like 9

Looking good so far!

It looks a lot smaller than 10% less than 1/72. I wonder what the tape measure shows in span and length compared to the 1/72 one? 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Seems like the 1/79th Blenheim’s engines are almost as big as the 1/72 scale kit, although the wing span is way shorter? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted a floor to the cockpit. Popped the engine nacelles on, wings on and a bit of putty. I sometimes use a subtle blend of Tamiya putty with Revell liquid glue. This method thins out the putty and helps it flow a bit better.

Guhg

• Like 6

Now a bit cleaned up. I broke a wing off, then fixed and reputtied. Then a tailplane and did similar. Soon it will be ready for some hairy stick action

Gfigj

• Like 3