P-61B Black Widow PTO

Made the following progress today:

- Cleaned-up and bonded the two wing and boom assemblies along with the rear elevator, rudders, and ailerons and flaps

- trimmed and bonded the six dive brake panels to the wings in a closed position

- finished the scratch-built yoke control wheel

- primed all the internal parts/ surfaces with Tamiya Fine grey lacquer primer . Weather here has been cool/ light rain but I was able to get an adequate  primer application outside by using light coats and spraying between showers.

spacer.png

It’s supposed to be very wet weather here in S. CA over the next three days so my plan is to paint (airbrush) the primed parts/ surfaces using Tamiya acrylic paint which, unlike lacquers and enamels, seem to do fine with cooler temps/ humidity. I’ll try to post some progress shots of the cabin and engines as I go this week.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

hat? Has Albert Hammond lied to us in singing "it never rains in Southern California"? :giggle:

Just a year or so ago it was illegal for us to  water our lawns and gardens and we were encouraged to collect our “brown water” at the kitchen sink in buckets to flush toilets…..more “global wetting” than global warming here lately.

I do look forward to warmer dryer days. I like building shiny car models and have been unable to spray lacquers since October.

Finally getting some color on these parts. The zinc chromate (Tamiya XF-3 yellow with small amounts of XF-5 green titrated to the right look) is a little crazy bright , hopefully I’ll be able to subdue with an oil wash later. I sprayed the bare metal parts with Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver lacquer outside just as it started to sprinkle, reminded me how water and lacquer do not play well together. Silver parts should be fine once I put an acrylic seal and oil wash on them. 
Other than the control yoke wheel, I’m building this one OOB which makes for a fast moving quick gratification build. Hoping to start detail painting, decaling and assembly of the front & rear cabins tomorrow. Thanks for following along!

spacer.png

• Like 8

Black/ burnt umber oil wash applied to my day-glow zinc chromate parts. Still a little on the bright side but hopefully will tone down even more later with some dry-brushing.

spacer.png

I applied some of the kit supplied dial decals to the IP in a somewhat random fashion (the instructions were totally bogus so I had to do some guessing). These GWH decals are very difficult to get to conform even with Micro-Sol/ Micro-Set. I’ll dry-brush this one and call it done. 
spacer.png

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Added photo, edited content
  • Like 11

Todays progress:

Tires painted (XF-85 black rubber):

spacer.png

Front & rear cabins assembled into the fuselage:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The three sets of lap belts provided by GWH were a complete disaster for me, I ended up replacing them with Eduards belts that I had in my spares. 

I also bonded the booms to the wings:

spacer.png

Im hoping my next progress report will include the fuselage + wing/ biooms + rear horizontal stabilizer/ elevator all bonded together. The engines also need some work getting the intake and exhaust headers to all fit together. So far it’s been a so-so kit fit-wise but I am still having fun.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Fantastic detailing and weathering of the internal. Very nice.

Thanks Wings! The green/ yellow zinc chromate is starting to look too bright again to my eyes in these photos. I’m wondering if I should airbrush these internal cabin details with a highly diluted flat black misting??? I’ll make that decision after I check just how bright these cabin feature look through the canopies when I dry fit them tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Thanks Wings! The green/ yellow zinc chromate is starting to look too bright again to my eyes in these photos. I’m wondering if I should airbrush these internal cabin details with a highly diluted flat black misting??? I’ll make that decision after I check just how bright these cabin feature look through the canopies when I dry fit them tomorrow.

I was wondering if the bright interior greens were to keep the crew alert at night. 🤣

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Wings unlevel said:

I was wondering if the bright interior greens were to keep the crew alert at night.

Yes, that’s it! The USAAF commodity managers were running short of amphetamines for the night flight crews in ‘45 and decided to have the cockpits painted brighter to keep the flyboys awake on those long flights over water in the dark! Think I’ll go with that for now….

• Haha 5

Today’s progress:

Airframe bonded together and some filler putty applied:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Engine final assembly started:

spacer.png

The fit of the intakes and exhaust headers required some paint and plastic removal to get things seated. I’m messing with kit-supplied PE plug wires and oh what a challenge! I will likely not fight connecting each wire to each plug because very little will be visible through the nacelle openings (not going to expose the engines on this one). Still having some fun here & there!

Corrections
  • Like 11

Completed both engines:

spacer.png

Plugged the four slots on the underside of the wings with Evergreen sheet styrene:

spacer.png

These slots are for auxiliary fuel tanks which unfortunately were not included in the P-61B kit. Too bad because I believe these were the rule in the PTO, particularly in Iwo Jima.

I also bonded the nose weight into the inside of the clear nose piece using five min epoxy:

spacer.png

Hoping tomorrow to clean up the slot repairs and re-scribe as necessary, bond the nose and canopies in place, mask the canopies and then prime the airframe and nacelles. 

• Like 7

I read somewhere that the appropriate interior color was "1 gallon of zinc chromate with 12 ounces of black paint added". That's as best as I can word it. As there 128 ounces in a gallon, 12 ounces would be roughly 10%. So 1 drop of black per 10 drops of zinc chromate (Vallejo Model Air US Light Green 71.137 carries the correct FS number FS34151) should provide a pretty close match for the interior color.

I've been doing a bit of research on this plane, and was kind of surprised to learn that the exterior color was gloss black. I would have expected flat black, but nope, it was gloss. Became something of a trademark for this plane.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flyboy2610 said:

I've been doing a bit of research on this plane, and was kind of surprised to learn that the exterior color was gloss black.

spacer.png

This P-61C located at the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy facility (photo from https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/northrop-p-61c-black-widow/nasm_A19510044000) does look pretty gloss black and my understanding is that the Smithsonian no longer restores aircraft to “as new” condition but rather with the original “as found” patina intact. I’ll probably go with a satin finish with light chipping/ weathering on my build and hope to incorporate some variation in the black among the various panels. I imagine these aircraft got pretty weathered/ beat up/ faded at Iwo Jima.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

spacer.png

This P-61C located at the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy facility (photo from https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/northrop-p-61c-black-widow/nasm_A19510044000) does look pretty gloss black and my understanding is that the Smithsonian no longer restores aircraft to “as new” condition but rather with the original “as found” patina intact. I’ll probably go with a satin finish with light chipping/ weathering on my build and hope to incorporate some variation in the black among the various panels. I imagine these aircraft got pretty weathered/ beat up/ faded at Iwo Jima.

Just remember that P-61’s didn't have primer under the black exterior paint. This is why the chipped and peeled so badly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1