F188 Hawker Hurricane

Unlike so many of you, Frog is totally new to me--only heard about it even in the last three years or so, and certainly never built one. But I keep hearing the great nostalgic stories, so I wanted to see what the fuss was all about! Plus, it gives me an excuse to try out another 1/72 Hawker Hurricane kit (I've built kits by Airfix, Arma, AZ, Fly, Legato, Mistercraft, Revell, Smer, but never Frog!).  Here is what I found from King Kit:

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65632&authk

Look at that, an Mk IIb, Mk IIc, Mk IId, and some type of Sea Hurricane (Mk I?) all in one box! 

I'm not sure what markings I will use, but certainly won't be the ones in the box!

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65624&authk

The sprues are not exactly complete, but on a first scan, I think all of the pieces are here.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65628&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65627&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65626&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65625&authk

Overall that's a scary looking kit to me, and particularly funny to compare it to the excellent Arma Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc kit. Although I am always happy to see a stand. Times have changed, haven't they?

if it comes together well I may use this to build a Greek Mk IIc in desert camo, which I would love to add to my Hawker Hurricanes around the World project. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!58058&authk

but, I am not especially optimistic, so I may head in a different direction yet to be determined.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Unlike so many of you, Frog is totally new to me--only heard about it even in the last three years or so, and certainly never built one

Oh you youngsters! Always good to see fresh blood enjoying the hobby!

• Haha 3

The Frog Hurricane was my very first Frog kit - the memories are now flooding back! Welcome to this GB @ModelingEdmontonian and Frog kits in general.

To be honest, most of us see all Frog kits through Rose tinted glasses, so you may be a little disappointed with what you find.

Comparing this kit to the latest from Arma Hobby is like being asked to choose a VW Beetle over a new Tesla. Now seeing the VeeDub was my first car, stupid me would probably go that way! 

Anyway, we hope you have fun and be in a position to find decals to replicate that lovely Greek version. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like many reading this thread the memories of building this kit as a nipper come flooding back.

Thank you so much for bringing this one to the GB

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:02 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

The Frog Hurricane was my very first Frog kit - the memories are now flooding back! Welcome to this GB @ModelingEdmontonian and Frog kits in general.

To be honest, most of us see all Frog kits through Rose tinted glasses, so you may be a little disappointed with what you find.

Comparing this kit to the latest from Arma Hobby is like being asked to choose a VW Beetle over a new Tesla. Now seeing the VeeDub was my first car, stupid me would probably go that way! 

Anyway, we hope you have fun and be in a position to find decals to replicate that lovely Greek version. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave. 

I would choose the Beetle over a Tesla any day of the week!

Selwyn

• Like 5

On 1/13/2024 at 1:02 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

True enough, Given how many different kits of the Hurricane have been issued, very few of them have got the shape right until perhaps quite recently. Common problems besides incorrect span and length apparently include the wing chord and shape, the shape of the nose, the shape of the upper fuselage behind the cockpit, the lack of the so called "Dog Box" inside the rear of the cockpit, the propeller, the ventral intake, and the profile on the underside which as I recall was totally flat on the first attempt by Revell in the 1960's. The Frog kit suffers from several of those problems but I have seen worse.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Given how many different kits of the Hurricane have been issued,

:poop:drawings.  Not a Spitfire.  Superficially simple.  Poor drawings in 'reputable' sources.  Example the 2nd Hurricane book by F.K. Mason from 87 has drawings that look very detailed, have his name on them and are utterly worthless,  and like the reason for the terrible Airfix IIC from around 2010.

and time for this to get rolled out again, the notes from A.L Bentley's plans from 1980.

35568750533_bc6e7a6f46_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

very few of them have got the shape right until perhaps quite recently.

in 72nd? The Airfix Mk.I from 78 is pretty good, The 90's Hasegawa for a MK.II, then the AZ/Legato kits, Airfix fabric wing and then Arma Hobby.

Everything is varies from flawed but fixable,  if you can be bothered, Heller and Revell IIC,  the rest are pretty hopeless.

On 12/01/2024 at 16:48, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Look at that, an Mk IIb, Mk IIc, Mk IId, and some type of Sea Hurricane (Mk I?) all in one box! 

A description of the type,  it has wing cannon bulges so a C wing.  Some had rocket plates fitted.

The classics for this are the 1/48th Monogram kit and the 1973 Airfix 72nd kit ...

I've not looked closely to see what the Frog fuselage is meant to be but given it's age, and available references at the time,  it's all a bit vague and Hurricanes 'all look the same' .....

I have couple of the Frog, and a Novo,  one I never did and I did find the Novo on a search the other day which I got as a builder...

Note the weird lines on the fuselage are from looking at a drawing which shows the internal wooden formers, and then not looking at a photo, possibly from Aircraft of The Fighting Powers.

A back burner project is historical Hurricane books and plans, and what errors originate where..... and how they get carried on.

HTH

• Like 6

On 1/12/2024 at 6:07 PM, Mjwomack said:

Oh you youngsters!

See I consider myself a "youngster," but my wife likes to tell me I'm "middle-aged" already...

On 1/13/2024 at 2:02 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Airfix kits were my first, although I don't remember exactly which one. I'm amazed how many around here know exactly which kit was their first! And alright, I'll drop with the Arma comparisons!

On 1/13/2024 at 2:02 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

I actually have the decals already from a Greek company called LM Decals.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!59168&authk

I just assume as I get to building this it won't be even up to my admitted fairly low standards and I won't want to use her for my Hawker Hurricanes around the World collection. But, if not, that's ok, too. I have other markings I can use! And anyway, who knows. If it's as good a kit as @Corsairfoxfouruncle remembers maybe I'll be fine!

• Like 5

On 1/22/2024 at 9:40 PM, Mjwomack said:

@ModelingEdmontonian have we scared you off??

Nope, not scared at all! I've been away. Actually, I'm in Belgrade at the moment and was hoping to go see the Hawker Hurricane Mk IV in the aviation museum that's here (I think I first learned it was there from a post by @Troy Smith), but sadly the museum is closed for renovations. Anyway, be home and back to this soon enough. Meanwhile I'm enjoying watching all of the other Frog kit adventures!

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 3:19 PM, Adrian Hills said:

How about a Canadian Hurricane on skis ?  Here is my 1/96 scale Eaglewall attempt. I'm sure you can make a better job than I did

IMG_7817[12972]

Cool! Interestingly enough, I do have a Hurricane on skis (slowly) underway, albeit not a Frog kit nor a Canadian version, but a Finnish Arma Mk I. WIP in my Hawker Hurricanes around the World thread. Not scratch built, either, but with a Kora aftermarket set.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!59175&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!60661&authk

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So, as I got going, I realized already that I'm missing a piece, number 19 which is supposed to be the cockpit floor (of course, Hurricane cockpits didn't have floors, but in this case you need something to mount the seat on). I found some PE that could work and stuck it in.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67220&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67221&authk

Nothing impressive or fancy, but it will do. 

• Like 10

I've decided I'm just going to make this one "FUN" and do whatever I want and nothing I don't. So, in that spirit I rummaged through my large number of spare Hurricane pieces and stuck a back-of-the-cockpit wall in, borrowed from an Airfix Mk I kit. And then I stuck the seat in. And that's the cockpit folks. 😎 Well, I may throw an IP in there still, we'll see.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67306&authk

• Like 12

Alright, back to the Frog! First, I have decided to leave my Hellenic Air Force plan aside, and keep this one simple with decals from an Arma kit:

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67390&authk

First, I thought it best before I went further to give it all a bath.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67387&authk

I had this spare IP, so I painted it black and gave it a dry brush and figured that would do to stick into the Hurricane office.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67385&authk

I have the fuselage closed up (also popped a pilot inside).

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67406&authk

Funny, although @Troy Smith talked about the lack of wheel well, I didn't really get it until I started dry fitting the wings to the fuselage. Just a gaping hole straight up into the cockpit. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67404&authk

By the way, I got the wings together (I think in total the wings are seven pieces!) and also some spare Arma fuel tanks.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67407&authk

One of the wing pieces is the centre piece to the underside and this is where the wheel well opening is. I decided to just block it off with a piece of cardboard.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67405&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67402&authk

And with that I put the whole a/c together. I have to say that overall I'm quite impressed with the fit and the shape. There is a gap on the underside wing I'll have to fix, but I think that's likely my fault. Otherwise the fit is very good. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67403&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67401&authk

• Like 13

Nice to hear lots of positive talk about Frog’s Hurricane. Always nice to get a pretty good fitting kit no matter what the age of the original moulds. Nice progress. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A simple technique like wedging a bit of Plasticard to fill a gap is a real time saver and a useful hint. A similar method of using solid plastic as a filler can also be done for circular holes. Have used this technique for my small scale Frog Blenheim to plug holes meant for undercarriage legs !

Vugg

• Like 5

On 2/20/2024 at 3:56 PM, Adrian Hills said:

A simple technique like wedging a bit of Plasticard to fill a gap is a real time saver and a useful hint. A similar method of using solid plastic as a filler can also be done for circular holes. Have used this technique for my small scale Frog Blenheim to plug holes meant for undercarriage legs !

Vugg

very nice! is that just bits of sprue?

My Frog kit includes bombs and rockets, but not external fuel tanks, so I borrowed a set from an Arma kit. I thought the lower wing holes where the bomb carriers mount would be useful guides for me, so I left them in and, after installing the air intake and radiator, I used some bits of toothpick to align the tanks.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67436&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67435&authk

They seem to have fit quite nicely, although I have to say black plastic is weird to work with and I am not always confident about where there might be gaps (e.g., I thought my wing fit was better than it was once I started going over it with some putty). I also sanded the landing lights and checked their fit (surprisingly great!), but I will wait to install them permanently until after I have sprayed primer.

• Like 10

I applied some putty around the fuel tanks, and then started installing the cannons. Meanwhile, I blasted the prop and spinner with a rattle can. The Frog spinner was chunky, but worse, didn't mate up with the prop. So, I ditched it for a spare Arma spinner, which fit nicely. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to mask it all to spray red on the forward half of the spinner.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67498&authk

• Like 9