Weathering black aircraft

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

I would appreciate the collective's thoughts on this subject.

Today I have gloss varnished my French Invader which is, of course, primarily black and soon she will be ready for decals, a further glosscote and then "weathering". It will depict the last Invader in French service and during its final years it was at the CEAM. So, anything "desert"-like would be wrong in terms of weathering. Black is such a full on tone and shows any fault, much like NMF does. It is my first all-black experience! ;)

I am inclined to go down the path of simply applying worn areas with a silver pencil in addition to a small area of wear around the upper fuselage for which I employed salt. I would be very thankful of anyone's thoughts on appropriate weathering given that I have now moved away from 100% washes. The only washes I now apply are on dirty areas - crew entrances, ground crew activity areas, engines, undercarriage legs, wheels and tyres etc. I will, of course, be applying the staining for exhausts - a prominent feature. Normally I use Tamiya weathering powders but I migt practice a bit more with very weak thinner/paint mixes in the airbrush. 

Thank you.

Martin

• Like 1

I always found the trick when painting Black aircraft was not to use Black, until the end. Start off with a dark Grey then gradually build up the colour adding drops of Black as you go, until you’ve achieved the desired effect.

Im not familiar with the subject that you’re building so if you can provide a photograph or two it will help.

my 2p worth.  Black is an incredibly difficult colour finish to keep clean.  As the owner of at least 4 gloss black cars over the years I know of what I speak !!!   Heaven knows what it must be like on a matt black airframe after a few weeks of use or standing outside.  Without seeing you particular subject it is hard to say but you do mention a gloss finish.  I suspect that might weather from high gloss to a sheen fairly quickly but you mention your subject was at their CEAM.  There it might have been much better looked after and had a wash and polish regularly.   From a quick Google French Invaders either look pretty rough or pretty pristine and very "black" with not much in between but that's not a scientific study.  If I was you I think I'd go for the latter with minimal weathering.  I think you are not far off the mark with your first thoughts here.

I start with a NATO black or the darkest grey I can find as a base color, then use dark greys mixed with black and other greys to get some panel variety.  

,spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Collin
  • Like 2

@scotthldr, @Planebuilder62, @JohnT and @Collin. There are some great tips there :). I guess that for a finish like black it can be treated much like natural metal. I will try some test projects on the old builds that my youngest grandson use at toys ;). As I am past the painted stage it is really about the weathering for me now. Thanks so much for you useful tips :).

What colours did you use for the exhaust staining on your Invader, Collin @Collin?

Martin

• Thanks 1

Buff for the initial light color to set the outline of the exhaust path....then filled in the area with tans and browns, mixed super thin, to simulate dirty exhaust.  Think I hit it with some oils as well.  Alclad smoke was used as well.  That A-26 build is about 5+ years old, so I have forgotten the actual process/mix (but you get the idea).  

Just really thin your paints...and use a very fine airbrush to build up the exhaust.  I have a Badger SOTOR 20/20....and it can draw pencil lines when needed.  

Cheers

Collin