Hannants Xtracrylix being discontiued?

PhantomBigStu

Not seen anything but hannants have had stock issues with colours not bing restocked for months that seems to be getting worse as more colours go out of stock and my other source of them wonderlands is flogging them the 40% or so they have left of the range at a discount.

Anyone have any information as a pretty regular user of them, like to know If they are not going to be available anymore?  

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Can't comment on this paint line, but I hope you find a steady supplier! I know what's it's like to lose a brand of paint you really like. RustOleum bought the Testors Model Master line of acrylics, then discontinued them! 🤬

(In his best Don Corleone voice) "Dat's how we do tings. Ya buy out ya competition..... den get rid of 'em."

• Like 2

I can feel that...

Just today I've got pointed out that Quinacridone/Nickel Azo Gold paint is no longer available due to pigment PO49 being discontinued.

That means I' had to recalculate the RAF Middle Stone recipe for Golden Fluid Acrylics. Luckily this was not a bad hit, the updated one still is quite accurate.

• Like 2

Bit of context, Hannants have been having problems getting regular supplies of both Xtracrylix and color for years, not months. So I wouldn't worry just yet (and I hope that's not famous last words, being quite fond of them myself).

Paul.

11 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Bit of context, Hannants have been having problems getting regular supplies of both Xtracrylix and color for years, not months. So I wouldn't worry just yet (and I hope that's not famous last words, being quite fond of them myself).

Paul.

Never like this, most I've ever waited is about 3 months, there are shades that have been out of stock since late summer and unless my memories playing tricks on me one since march 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

I read a story 2-3 years ago that Humbrol was having to discontinue some of their range due to a European ruling that they contained harmful elements. Presumably, these elements were more harmful than the chemical nasties that are put out by every petrol-powered vehicle on our planet....Still one industry is worth Trillions of Dollars a year and the other caters to hobbyists. Have a guess which one loses out? 

Chris.   

19 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I read a story 2-3 years ago that Humbrol was having to discontinue some of their range due to a European ruling that they contained harmful elements. Presumably, these elements were more harmful than the chemical nasties that are put out by every petrol-powered vehicle on our planet....Still one industry is worth Trillions of Dollars a year and the other caters to hobbyists. Have a guess which one loses out? 

Chris.   

It doesn't and never applied to water dispersible acrylics like Xtracrylix. It was Methyl ethyl ketoxime, abbreviated to MEKO, or alternatively Butanone Oxime which was used as an anti-skinning agent in oil bound alkyd resin type paints (commonly called enamels but not the same thing as enamel you find on your teeth or on camping mugs). This is now a banned substance at least in terms of sale to the general public. The reason Humbrol seemed to get caught out was that for whatever reason nobody at Hornby realised that what they were having manufactured by their subcontractor could be sold to the general public until after the restriction came into effect.

https://echa.europa.eu/substance-information/-/substanceinfo/100.002.270

Pity though - it was pretty good stuff for what it was used for.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Pity though - it was pretty good stuff for what it was used for.

It is hard to get replacements for some chemicals, same 'it is too dangerous' problem applies for cobalt driers too.

Edited by Casey
  • Sad 1